1. Pepperland
    Moves
    09 Jul '09 17:35
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Rock is entirely mediocre today. Acknowledge it. At least for newer bands. No individuality on instruments - all these flunky bands may as well be using the same rhytm section.

It ain't whining if it's true.
    agreed.

The majority of rock bands today are crap. However, I do admit liking some songs by coldplay.
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    09 Jul '09 18:27
    Originally posted by FMF
    The internet revolution has renewed my interest for new albums by new bands, all now easily available. I haven't bought "a single" since the mid-1990s. Do they still sell them?
    Yes it's called Itunes. Most people are buying one song at a time off an album. ENtire album sales are dropping faster than dolly parton's boobs.
  3. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    09 Jul '09 18:331 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    All the bands I listen to are still making albums. It seems you may be wrong.
    Trust me, itunes will kill album sales. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing. Most bands only have 1 or 2 good songs on a 10 song album. The future will not see CD's being sold. It will all be electronic sales. All downloadable going straight to hard drives/flash memory/ipods.

HMV and the like are dinosaurs dying a slow death.

EDIT: Hell, I just downloaded the new NIN cd for FREE from the NIN website
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    09 Jul '09 18:50
    Originally posted by uzless
    Trust me, itunes will kill album sales. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing. Most bands only have 1 or 2 good songs on a 10 song album. The future will not see CD's being sold. It will all be electronic sales. All downloadable going straight to hard drives/flash memory/ipods.

HMV and the like are dinosaurs dying a slow death.

EDIT: Hell, I just downloaded the new NIN cd for FREE from the NIN website
    Vinyl will live on forever.
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    09 Jul '09 19:04
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Vinyl will live on forever.
    just a fad this resurrgence in vinyl. It's something for the ex-tennybopper crowd to show their friends thinking because they have songs on a plastic disc it makes them cool. It has nothing to do with the song quality...it has everything to do with the pursuit of cool.

This too shall pass as the vinyl "collector" gets older and can't be bothered to keep switching the record over every 4 songs.....
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    09 Jul '09 19:17
    just a fad this resurrgence in vinyl. It's something for the ex-tennybopper crowd to show their friends thinking because they have songs on a plastic disc it makes them cool. It has nothing to do with the song quality...it has everything to do with the pursuit of cool.

This too shall pass as the vinyl "collector" gets older and can't be bothered to keep switching the record over every 4 songs.....
    Sto being so bitter! There are many audiophile and vinyl enthusiasts out there (many of whom would be considered a bit too nerdy for the "ex-teenybopper" crowd you imagined) who would disagree with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_recording_vs._digital_recording
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    09 Jul '09 19:24
    Many people prefer vinyl for the art/packaging, the "warmth" of the sound and for their collections. Your Grampy Bobby-ish generalizations are quite laughable.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    09 Jul '09 19:24
    um, pretty sure he was talking about new albums by new bands. I've been saying for years that albums are dead and that everything in the future will be put out as singles only.

We are entering a new era of one-hit wonders. It's 1984 all over again.
    The vast majority of artists are still releasing albums (and no singles) and selling them. If anything, Itunes is killing the single, but who buys singles anyway?
  9. Germany
    Moves
    09 Jul '09 19:25
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Rock is entirely mediocre today. Acknowledge it. At least for newer bands. No individuality on instruments - all these flunky bands may as well be using the same rhytm section.

It ain't whining if it's true.
    You just haven't done any effort to find good modern rock music.
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    09 Jul '09 19:27
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The vast majority of artists are still releasing albums (and no singles) and selling them. If anything, Itunes is killing the single, but who buys singles anyway?
    I think there is confusion in this discussion between a proper single (like a 7" or a CDsingle) to buying a single song on iTunes which may or may not be a single.

Many bands (popular, marginally popular or underground) still release singles and extended play albums that contain b-sides, remixes, videos, etc. They have not disappeared yet.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jul '09 22:08
    Albums are now the marketing vehicle for the 'live peformance' money generating machine. Unfortunately, if you want credibility AND make lots of money you need to be able to perform live, and do it well. Not such a bad thing when you think about it.
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    10 Jul '09 06:56
    Trust me, itunes will kill album sales.
    That's not the same as saying iTunes will kill the album, is it? I care very little about how many units Columbia manages to shift.
  13. Pepperland
    Moves
    10 Jul '09 11:27

well, the vinyl is certainly not as practical as a cd or itunes, but Im not willing to throw my LPs away because it would be a waste of money.
  14. Standard memberSunburnt
    🙏🏻
    Some other realm
    Moves
    10 Jul '09 14:35
    um, pretty sure he was talking about new albums by new bands. I've been saying for years that albums are dead and that everything in the future will be put out as singles only.

We are entering a new era of one-hit wonders. It's 1984 all over again.
    I am old fashioned, I guess. I love albums by my favorites (yeah, yeah, Music Snobs, my music sucks). I don't listen to the radio, haven't in years. The album is a journey and each has it's own flavor, and I love that.
  15. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    10 Jul '09 20:16

Man you are one arrogant prig. Tell us - how can we be more like you?? Please oh please wise uzless one.

Excuse us for sharing your planet.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree