1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 16:46
    Has anyone listened to the Stereo remastered Beatles reissues yet?

Lot of mixed reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.ca/Stereo-Box-Set-Beatles/dp/B002BSHWUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1252514406&sr=8-1
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 18:162 edits
    Originally posted by darvlay

http://www.amazon.ca/Stereo-Box-Set-Beatles/dp/B002BSHWUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1252514406&sr=8-1
    Makes you wonder if new bands would sound better if they were in mono. Most new bands' songs are recorded in stereo

Or, does it mean that the beatles really aren't that good and that the fact the songs were put into mono made the songs sound better than they were? Does seperating out the instruments into 2 channels expose the songs as weak?

I haven't heard any of the stereo versions myself. This article explains that you can now hear the errors of the instruments with the stereo versions.

http://thestar.com/entertainment/music/article/692701
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 18:43
    Originally posted by uzless
    Makes you wonder if new bands would sound better if they were in mono. Most new bands' songs are recorded in stereo

Or, does it mean that the beatles really aren't that good and that the fact the songs were put into mono made the songs sound better than they were? Does seperating out the instruments into 2 channels expose the songs as weak?

I haven't ...[text shortened]... nstruments with the stereo versions.

http://thestar.com/entertainment/music/article/692701
    I don't think any music today is recorded entirely in mono.

"...Does it mean that the beatles really aren't that good and that the fact the songs were put into mono made the songs sound better than they were?"

Not at all.

"Does seperating out the instruments into 2 channels expose the songs as weak?"

It certainly may in this case. I don't know the process of remastering mono recordings into digital stereo but I don't really see the point if it ends up being something that makes the original lose its aesthetic value. Obviously recording in stereo now is superior to recording in mono, which was the standard when these recordings were made, but I'm very skeptical about retrofitting the original mono recordings into stereo.
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 20:31

"...Does it mean that the beatles really aren't that good and that the fact the songs were put into mono made the songs sound better than they were?"

Not at all.

It certainly may in this case. I don't know t ...[text shortened]... de, but I'm very skeptical about retrofitting the original mono recordings into stereo.
    Yeah, it's sucky, they should just leave it alone. I've got a remastered version of Across the Universe in stereo and it sucks balls.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Sep '09 22:401 edit

Not at all.

It certainly may in this case. I don't know t de, but I'm very skeptical about retrofitting the original mono recordings into stereo.
    Obviously recording in stereo now is superior to recording in mono, which was the standard when these recordings were made

Was this true only of pop music?

For instance, from what I can tell, the vast majority of jazz was recorded in stereo starting in the '50s.

I would assume that the same would be true of classical music, but I don't have enough to know.
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    10 Sep '09 20:571 edit
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Yeah, it's sucky, they should just leave it alone. I've got a remastered version of Across the Universe in stereo and it sucks balls.
    But WHY does it suck. Does it suck because it doesn't sound right? Or does it suck because now you can hear the song as it really is and the way it really is is a crapy song?
  7. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    11 Sep '09 12:47
    These guys speak sense and you all should listen to them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8246313.stm

"Anyone who says they are influenced by The Beatles, alarm bells start to go off; it means they are going to be completely ordinary. It's about writing this perfectly-crafted music, the classic song - in inverted commas. It's not about being adventurous."
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    11 Sep '09 12:49
    Originally posted by uzless
    Or does it suck because now you can hear the song as it really is and the way it really is is a crapy song?
    ?

What are you talking about?
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    11 Sep '09 12:57
    While you're at it, how do you feel about the Beatles' children getting together to record previously unreleased Beatles demos?
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    11 Sep '09 12:58
    Originally posted by Seitse

"Anyone who says they are influenced by The Beatles, alarm bells start to go off; it means they are going to be completely ordinary. It's about writing this perfectly-crafted music, the classic song - in inverted commas. It's not about being adventurous."
    Nah -- The Beatles can inspire you to go the other way.

What is the other way?
  11. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    11 Sep '09 13:10
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Nah -- The Beatles can inspire you to go the other way.

What is the other way?
    Björk?
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    11 Sep '09 13:46
    Originally posted by Seitse

I liked this joke:

"Q: What year did Paul McCartney write Silly Love Songs? A: 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966..."
  13. Pepperland
    Moves
    11 Sep '09 17:07

I bought and listened to the white album, and I think it was pretty good.

I think there was an improvement in some tracks like dear prudence, but I didn't notice much difference in others like back in the USSR.
  14. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    11 Sep '09 17:12
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    I bought and listened to the white album, and I think it was pretty good.

I think there was an improvement in some tracks like dear prudence, but I didn't notice much difference in others like back in the USSR.
    Can you explain what you thought the improvement was?
  15. Pepperland
    Moves
    11 Sep '09 17:14
    Can you explain what you thought the improvement was?
    I think the drums and bass (in most songs) were clearer and stronger.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree