1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    05 Jul '13 14:34
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Not sillier than tagging a whole group as purchasers of mere swirls of paint. In some individual instances such is true, but in others we are talking about unique works of art. Paintings might not have much intrinsic value until one explores the special skills, the circumstances surrounding the art work and the overall pleasure it brings. Without the "s ...[text shortened]... ess and pricelessness of art. Anyone calling that mere swirls of paint would be a mere ninny!
    number7 on that list. jasper johns. an american flag. mostly identical to any flag painted by any kindergartner, anywhere in the world.

this is the reason this list made me sad. that thing (for lack of a better word) is priced higher than a van gogh. than a rubens. check out the detail on the rubens further down the list. the emotion that the rubens painting instill. the aesthetic of the van goghs or the monet. compare that with the artistic void of the warhol's elvises.
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    05 Jul '13 16:54
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    number7 on that list. jasper johns. an american flag. mostly identical to any flag painted by any kindergartner, anywhere in the world.

this is the reason this list made me sad. that thing (for lack of a better word) is priced higher than a van gogh. than a rubens. check out the detail on the rubens further down the list. the emotion that the rubens p ...[text shortened]... tic of the van goghs or the monet. compare that with the artistic void of the warhol's elvises.
    Absolutely! Reubens and van Gogh, Monet, all surpemely more talented than Warhol, Rothko et al. I believe pricing is subjective until one looks at the wonderful masterpieces of the Renaissance era. To think a master like Michelangelo had to go take a gander at Signorelli's frescoes in Orvieto before tackling the Sistine Chapel gives one an idea of the incredible talent collected in Italy in the era. Also, unlike SI models, Renaissance era models were intriguingly interesting. I have always been convinced the model for Botticelli's Birth of Venus was Simonetta di Cattaneo Vespucci, despite the experts excluding her simple because she had been dead a while. Simonetta la Bella certainly has to ahve left a mental imprint on all who knew her to be called "la bella" in a country full of beauties!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree