1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 Jul '13 00:071 edit
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/justin-moss/american-operas_b_3541833.html?sf14920956=1

I don't agree that Porgy and Bess is not number one, but it is also hard to argue against selecting Scott Joplin ahead of Gershwin since he was unique indeed. Placing an opera that has not yet premiered ahead of Heggie's masterwork, Moby Dick.
  2. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    16 Jul '13 10:28
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/justin-moss/american-operas_b_3541833.html?sf14920956=1

I don't agree that Porgy and Bess is not number one, but it is also hard to argue against selecting Scott Joplin ahead of Gershwin since he was unique indeed. Placing an opera that has not yet premiered ahead of Heggie's masterwork, Moby Dick.
    I am sorry to say I can't really contribute to this thread - I haven't seen enough American operas to make a sensible judgement. Of course, if one is British, one does rather have to live down the embarrassment of the 250-year gap between Dido and Aeneas and Peter Grimes...
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 Jul '13 20:17
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    I am sorry to say I can't really contribute to this thread - I haven't seen enough American operas to make a sensible judgement. Of course, if one is British, one does rather have to live down the embarrassment of the 250-year gap between Dido and Aeneas and Peter Grimes...
    Indeed a most peculiar gap, although one must consider the influence Handel had on this by writing masterpiece upon masterpiece whereby no one dared imitate him. Along comes Mozart, Cherubini, Beethoven and even Salieri, more highly regarded in the day. Couple this with Londoners infatuation/obsession with choral works and viola! No opera for a while. Therefore, we can thank Merry Old England for some of history's greatest choral works such as Haydn's masses, Beethoven's choral fantasy and 9th symphony, Haydn's great oratorios The Creation and The Seasons, Mendelssohn's Elijah, and many, many others.
  4. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    19 Jul '13 12:281 edit
    Now you're putting exclamation marks in thread titles? God help us all.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Jul '13 12:36
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    Now you're putting exclamation marks in thread titles? God help us all.
    Run for cover. Lightning always comes with exclamation points galore!!!!!!!!!! Obsessed with one punctuation mark, eh? Pray tell me which one would you prefer? Exclamation marks make your ears ring or something? Cause bright scotomata? Seizures, perhaps? Risperidone might help these symptoms!!!!!!!!!!!! Also helps extreme OCD.
  6. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    23 Jul '13 22:27
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Run for cover. Lightning always comes with exclamation points galore!!!!!!!!!! Obsessed with one punctuation mark, eh? Pray tell me which one would you prefer? Exclamation marks make your ears ring or something? Cause bright scotomata? Seizures, perhaps? Risperidone might help these symptoms!!!!!!!!!!!! Also helps extreme OCD.
    InterroBANG

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree