1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    06 Oct '08 20:071 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    It's interesting that such a "simple" piece would have problems to be solved. For the percussion quartet I saw, the seating was in four sections surrounding a square in the center. They each stood with heads bowed in a corner of the square facing the center with the score and timing device on a music stand in front. They turned the pages of the score to articipated" by occasionally very lightly sliding or rocking my shoe on the hardwood floor.
    Sounds absolutely thrilling and fulfilling. Given the opportunity I probably would've farted during the piece - to underscore my point.

But hey, to each their own. That I understand...
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Oct '08 20:42
    Originally posted by darvlay
    As a piece within a piece, silence can have a great impact on the listener. As a piece on its own, it's dee you em dumb. I understand the statement that Cage is making with the piece but I'll be damned if I ever find myself taking a performance of it seriously.
    Rec'd.

I might use the time to go to the bathroom.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 02:15
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Sounds absolutely thrilling and fulfilling. Given the opportunity I probably would've farted during the piece - to underscore [b]my point.

But hey, to each their own. That I understand...[/b]
    With the lack of maturity you exhibit, there's little wonder that certain concepts are beyond you.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 07:49
    With the lack of maturity you exhibit, there's little wonder that certain concepts are beyond you.
    Behind, not beyond.
  5. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 08:17
    The best type of music is the music that you like.

The worst type of music is the music that you do not like.
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 11:19
    I found a story here that describes this situation perfectly. Have a read and tell me what you think:

http://tinyurl.com/5sxlhy
  7. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 13:43
    I think - as with many pieces of modern art (and kudos to the person who identified it as such), and even more particularly to much of the art from from Cage's era - 4'33" certainly wasn't intended as a 'joke' (although humour plays a part in understanding it), but the passage of time has rendered it as 'simply' a (frankly rather lame) joke to a contemporary audience.

Looked at as a piece of art history - which is where something so purely conceptual emerged from and was always going quickly to return to - it's certainly more than simply a joke.

Still doesn't make my top ten tracks, though...
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Oct '08 15:18
    Originally posted by DrKF
    I think - as with many pieces of modern art (and kudos to the person who identified it as such), and even more particularly to much of the art from from Cage's era - 4'33" certainly wasn't intended as a 'joke' (although humour plays a part in understanding it), but the passage of time has rendered it as 'simply' a (frankly rather lame) joke to a contempo ...[text shortened]... certainly more than simply a joke.

I think that the point is that it doesn't make much sense to "reproduce" it nowadays in a recital, beyond some sort of common masturbatory pleasure to those that like knowing something others don't.

Personally, I don't care much for that attitude.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Oct '08 10:51
    Originally posted by jacko11
    sorry but what does catatonic mean?
    No, thats a medicine you feed fritz.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Oct '08 10:51
    Originally posted by jacko11
    chanting is good oh mickey your so fine you blow my mind HEY MICKEY HEY HEY MICKEY
    Looks like you've had your last chants....
  11. Joined
    13 Aug '08
    Moves
    16 Oct '08 05:44
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Looks like you've had your last chants....
    or have i ................................................probably unless i can think of another chant
  12. the highway to hell
    Moves
    16 Oct '08 14:18
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    sheet music
    how about shi'ite music?
  13. The Hague
    Moves
    22 Oct '08 11:48
    Originally posted by DrKF
    I think - as with many pieces of modern art (and kudos to the person who identified it as such), and even more particularly to much of the art from from Cage's era - 4'33" certainly wasn't intended as a 'joke' (although humour plays a part in understanding it), but the passage of time has rendered it as 'simply' a (frankly rather lame) joke to a contempo ...[text shortened]... certainly more than simply a joke.

I once burned a CD for a friend of mine with about 20 tracks on it, all 4'33" and called it 'The Sound of Silence'. Never performed it myself yet, though, but it's definitely not a joke. Why no-one ever though of making a piece that consists only of silence, when all the great music before had silence as a major part of it?
    Just performing it as a, say, encore, makes no sense, at least it doesn't if you don't tell the audience you're going to play it.
    There they are, waiting you to start that virtuoso Paganini caprice, lovely Chopin nocturne or thunderous Liszt work...
  14. Joined
    13 Aug '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '08 07:47
    Originally posted by Badwater
    The best type of music is the music that you like.

The worst type of music is the music that you do not like.
    that is right but, what types?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree