03 Oct '08 14:18
    Originally posted by jacko11
    sorry but what does catatonic mean?
    "Frozen", unable to move.
  3. The sky
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 14:25
    Originally posted by darvlay
    4' 33'' is a joke and not a very funny one either.
    I'd say it's a lot more than just a joke. It was an interesting experience to actually perform it. I think it's probably more interesting to listen to when you know what it is - otherwise the joke factor might overshadow the experience. When I performed it, most people in the audience knew what to expect, as I had been talking about that piece in my presentation the day before.
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 14:31
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I'd say it's a lot more than just a joke. It was an interesting experience to actually perform it. I think it's probably more interesting to listen to when you know what it is - otherwise the joke factor might overshadow the experience. When I performed it, most people in the audience knew what to expect, as I had been talking about that piece in my presentation the day before.
    As a piece within a piece, silence can have a great impact on the listener. As a piece on its own, it's dee you em dumb. I understand the statement that Cage is making with the piece but I'll be damned if I ever find myself taking a performance of it seriously.
  5. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 17:26
    The best kind of music is good music.
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 17:522 edits
    As a piece within a piece, silence can have a great impact on the listener. As a piece on its own, it's dee you em dumb. I understand the statement that Cage is making with the piece but I'll be damned if I ever find myself taking a performance of it seriously.
    It's not music. It's modern art.

I saw a painting that was just a blank canvas. The title was "Red Bird".

Same idea.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 01:012 edits
    I have to agree. While there is humor, I'd hardly characterize it as a "joke". I don't think that those who do really understand what the piece is about. Did you perform it solo? On cello? Did you do anything to indicate the movements? I saw it performed by a percussion quartet that was doing an all-Cage program. It was interesting to listen to. They took the lights way down which really enhanced the piece. Upon completion one of the musicians remarked, "That was even better than in rehearsal". 🙂
  8. Joined
    13 Aug '08
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 01:06
    yeah i have got to admit i do like good usic
  9. The sky
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 03:05
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    I have to agree. While there is humor, I'd hardly characterize it as a "joke". I don't think that those who do really understand what the piece is about. Did you perform it solo? On cello? Did you do anything to indicate the movements? I saw it performed by a percussion quartet that was doing an all-Cage program. It was interesting to listen to. They too ...[text shortened]... pon completion one of the musicians remarked, "That was even better than in rehearsal". 🙂
    I performed it solo, on the piano (I didn't have my cello with me). I indicated the movements by closing and reopening the piano lid.

One woman in the audience said it was the best performance of the piece she had ever heard (or seen?). 🙂
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 13:40
    I have to agree. While there is humor, I'd hardly characterize it as a "joke". I don't think that those who do really understand what the piece is about. Did you perform it solo? On cello? Did you do anything to indicate the movements? I saw it performed by a percussion quartet that was doing an all-Cage program. It was interesting to listen to. They too ...[text shortened]... pon completion one of the musicians remarked, "That was even better than in rehearsal". 🙂
    I'm performing it right now. How's it sound?
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 15:44
    I performed it solo, on the piano (I didn't have my cello with me). I indicated the movements by closing and reopening the piano lid.

One woman in the audience said it was the best performance of the piece she had ever heard (or seen?). 🙂
    Sounds like you made quite the impression. And to think, it wasn't even with your main instrument 🙂
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 15:44
    I'm performing it right now. How's it sound?
    That you ask that question only underscores the point.
  13. The sky
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 16:08
    Sounds like you made quite the impression. And to think, it wasn't even with your main instrument 🙂
    Teehee! Actually I think it's easier to "play" on the piano. You have something to look at, you don't have to face the audience, and there is an easy way to indicate the end of a movement and the beginning of the next one (closing and opening the piano lid was one of Cage's suggestions). And you can place your clock on the piano.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 17:301 edit
    Teehee! Actually I think it's easier to "play" on the piano. You have something to look at, you don't have to face the audience, and there is an easy way to indicate the end of a movement and the beginning of the next one (closing and opening the piano lid was one of Cage's suggestions). And you can place your clock on the piano.
    It's interesting that such a "simple" piece would have problems to be solved. For the percussion quartet I saw, the seating was in four sections surrounding a square in the center. They each stood with heads bowed in a corner of the square facing the center with the score and timing device on a music stand in front. They turned the pages of the score to indicate the movements. Lowering the lights removed the focus from them and placed it on the ambient sounds. I "participated" by occasionally very lightly sliding or rocking my shoe on the hardwood floor.
  15. weedhopper
    Moves
    04 Oct '08 17:38
    The best music is that which inspires us to be better people, or just makes us happy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree