Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    23 Sep '08 21:14
    What is the fascination with cigars over the centuries? Has it waned lately?
    Why did people go from cigars to cigs?
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Just another day
    24 Sep '08 00:18 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What is the fascination with cigars over the centuries? Has it waned lately?
    Why did people go from cigars to cigs?
    Cigarettes are better because you breathe them in. The paper is less harsh on the lungs than the leaf I guess. You get more nicotine with the cigarettes.

    Cigars, I hypothesize, got tied to hard liquor and the coolness of it because they only go in the mouth, stimulating taste buds or something, making the brandy more interesting. That's just a wild guess though. This would also explain why one would smoke one after dinner.
  3. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    24 Sep '08 00:28
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What is the fascination with cigars over the centuries? Has it waned lately?
    Why did people go from cigars to cigs?
    Get yourself a Cohiba and you'll understand.

    People went to cigarettes because they were cheaper and you could smoke them faster since they were smaller.
  4. 24 Sep '08 05:52 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What is the fascination with cigars over the centuries? Has it waned lately?
    Why did people go from cigars to cigs?
    Good question---they're both disgusting. I often wonder the same thing about beer. Why did someone once say "Hey, I'm going to make a beverage from yeast dung, and it tastes bitter and awful and nasty, but I'm going to drink it anyway. A lot."
  5. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    24 Sep '08 06:00
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Good question---they're both disgusting. I often wonder the same thing about beer. Why did someone once say "Hey, I'm going to make a beverage from yeast dung, and it tastes bitter and awful and nasty, but I'm going to drink it anyway. A lot."
    And ale is brewed at the bottom of the barrel with wood chips so the fungi can grow on it....
  6. 25 Sep '08 05:47
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And ale is brewed at the bottom of the barrel with wood chips so the fungi can grow on it....
    Yuk!😕😛
  7. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    25 Sep '08 12:31
    Originally posted by uzless
    Get yourself a Cohiba and you'll understand.

    Aside from the good sense here, I wasted my time reading this thread.
  8. Standard member RSMA1234
    The Guvnor....!!!!
    25 Sep '08 16:24
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What is the fascination with cigars over the centuries? Has it waned lately?
    Why did people go from cigars to cigs?
    Cigars where the orginal way to smoke tobacco and in this day and age are considered to be a sign or wealth / coolness

    I perfer a good cigar after a meal about twice a year, it is relaxing and a nice way to top off

    Prsonally I punch my cigars now as oppose to clipping, makes a big difference

    Cig are just the cheaper and quicker way to get your tobacco hit
  9. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    25 Sep '08 17:22
    Cigar smokers can enjoy tobacco without addiction. Cigarettes are needed, but rarely enjoyed, by those lacking self-control and self-discipline.
  10. Standard member Hand of Hecate
    Merciless Vagabond
    25 Sep '08 21:56
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Cigarettes are better because you breathe them in. The paper is less harsh on the lungs than the leaf I guess. You get more nicotine with the cigarettes.

    Cigars, I hypothesize, got tied to hard liquor and the coolness of it because they only go in the mouth, stimulating taste buds or something, making the brandy more interesting. That's just a wild guess though. This would also explain why one would smoke one after dinner.
    Thinking is like a near death experience for you isn't it?
  11. Standard member rbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    26 Sep '08 04:11
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Cigar smokers can enjoy tobacco without addiction...
    You were an ad-man in the 60's, huh?
  12. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    26 Sep '08 04:39
    The whole Monica Lewinsky thing wouldn't be the same if it had only been a cigarette. In fact, that would have made it nothing more than Pat Pong on a Friday night.
  13. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    26 Sep '08 14:33
    Originally posted by rbmorris
    You were an ad-man in the 60's, huh?
    I smoked cigarettes in the 1960s. We stole them from my friend's parents. I was in elementary school.

    I'm not yet in my '60s.
  14. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    26 Sep '08 16:39
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What is the fascination with cigars over the centuries? Has it waned lately?
    Why did people go from cigars to cigs?
    Industrialisation enabled the mass production of cigarettes.

    It's harder to take a cigar break at work.
  15. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    26 Sep '08 23:00
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    It's harder to take a cigar break at work.
    But, perhaps, more necessary.