Anthony Braxton "14 Compositions (Traditional) 1996"
    Stewart Gillmor
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 May '08 18:203 edits
    Anthony Braxton "11 Compositions (Duo) 1995"
    Brett Larner

Braxton's woodwinds juxtaposed against Larner's koto makes for an interesting listen. Very nice.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    30 May '08 01:05
    Lee Konitz "Motion"

John Abercrombie "The Third Quartet"

Cannonball Adderly "Things Are Getting Better"
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 19:17
    Ben Webster "Gone with the Wind"

Brad Mehldau "House on Hill"

Ben Webster "Stormy Weather"

Joe Lovano "Kids"
    Hank Jones

"Gerry Mulligan Meets Ben Webster"
  5. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 08:45
    So, if a rock guy wanted to listen to a little jazz (which he knows nothing about), what would be a good starting point?
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 11:52
    Originally posted by Crowley
    So, if a rock guy wanted to listen to a little jazz (which he knows nothing about), what would be a good starting point?
    Are you looking to get an idea of what jazz is about in all its various styles or are you looking to find something that you might immediately like?
  7. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 18:46
    Steely Dan. 🙂

John Scofield is a good place to start, I think - "A Go Go" made with Medeski, Martin & Wood was an instant classic as soon as it got released, and it's pretty funky. You could check out Joey DeFrancesco too - he's one of the best musicians alive today, and he's pretty funky too.
  8. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 19:11
    Nah, just go with Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" and move into Jazz if you like it later
  9. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 20:05
    I guess I'd like to have a spread of music, to see what jazz is all about...?
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Jun '08 00:013 edits
    I guess I'd like to have a spread of music, to see what jazz is all about...?
    There's no way to cover all of jazz in a handful of recordings, but the following are all strong albums that are quite likeable, reasonably different and should be readily available. They were all recorded in the late 50's.

Coleman Hawkins "Coleman Hawkins Encounters Ben Webster"
    Dave Brubeck "Time Out"
    Cannonball Adderly "Somethin' Else"
    Charle Mingus "Ah Um"

If you're really open-minded, you might want to check out these:
    Ornette Coleman "The Shape of Jazz to Come"
    Andrew Hill "The Point of Departure"
    Paul Bley "Time Will Tell"
    Rova "Bingo"

If you check out anyone's recommendation, post your thoughts on this thread. It'll be interesting to hear your comments. One thing to keep in mind is that to get the most out of them, you'll probably need to change the way you listen to music.
  11. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    03 Jun '08 05:22
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b. One thing to keep in mind is that to get the most out of them, you'll probably need to change the way you listen to music.[/b]
    "you mean like listening to the notes he's NOT playing? pffft. i can do that from home!" - H. Simpson
  12. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    03 Jun '08 07:56
    One thing to keep in mind is that to get the most out of them, you'll probably need to change the way you listen to music.
    Huh? The only way I know to 'listen to music' is putting it on the stereo and letting the sound waves enter my ears.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Jun '08 15:21
    Originally posted by uzless
    "you mean like listening to the notes he's NOT playing? pffft. i can do that from home!" - H. Simpson
    That Homer 🙂
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Jun '08 15:351 edit
    Huh? The only way I know to 'listen to music' is putting it on the stereo and letting the sound waves enter my ears.
    In general there are different things to listen for in jazz. For example, the drums on Point of Departure rarely overtly state the beat. However there is an underlying pulse that propels the music forward. You'll find richer harmonies, more complex rhythms, more sophisticated melodies, etc. It pays to listen actively rather than passively. It pays to listen to each individual instrument as well as the whole.
  15. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    03 Jun '08 16:11
    In general there are different things to listen for in jazz. For example, the drums on Point of Departure rarely overtly state the beat. However there is an underlying pulse that propels the music forward. You'll find richer harmonies, more complex rhythms, more sophisticated melodies, etc. It pays to listen actively rather than passively. It pays to listen to each individual instrument as well as the whole.
    A lot of that stuff comes with time.

Try not to complicate it too much.

Listen, relax, enjoy.

Currently listening to:
    Oscar Peterson, Exclusively for My Friends - Vol I

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree