What JAZZ are you listening to?

What JAZZ are you listening to?

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
26 Jun 08

Westbrook-Rossini "Zurich Live 1986"

World Saxophone Quartet "W.S.Q."

Reggie Workman "Cerebral Caverns"

Mike Westbrook "On Duke's Birthday"

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
28 Jun 08

Armand Boatman and the Bebop Revolution.

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
28 Jun 08

Originally posted by kyue
Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue is quite nice on a car or a bike at night.

Mind you petrol's so expensive nowadays, so go for the latter.
I read today in a jazz magazine that Burrell is credited with the first true solo jazz guitar song.

T

Moves
03 Jul 08

Bill Frisell "Blues Dream"

Bill Frisell "Have a Little Faith"

Chico Freeman "Focus"

Clark Terry "Memories of Duke"

Art Tatum "Group Masterpieces Vol. 7"
Buddy DeFranco
Red Callender
Bill Douglas

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
03 Jul 08

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Bill Frisell "Blues Dream"

Bill Frisell "Have a Little Faith"

Chico Freeman "Focus"

Clark Terry "Memories of Duke"

Art Tatum "Group Masterpieces Vol. 7"
Buddy DeFranco
Red Callender
Bill Douglas
Have you heard Bill Frisell's 2006 recording with Ron Carter and Paul Motian? Wonderfully interesting. Even when improvising a Hank Williams Sr song.

I'm listening to Brad Mehldau Trio Live Released this year.

T

Moves
03 Jul 08
1 edit

Originally posted by badmoon
Have you heard Bill Frisell's 2006 recording with Ron Carter and Paul Motian? Wonderfully interesting. Even when improvising a Hank Williams Sr song.

I'm listening to Brad Mehldau Trio Live Released this year.
I haven't heard either of them. I haven't really been keeping up on new releases. The Frisell especially sounds interesting. I'm a bit reluctant to check out Mehldau with Ballard. I really liked the open feel with Rossy. From what I've read, Ballard goes after a completely different esthetic. What do you think of it?

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
04 Jul 08

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
I haven't heard either of them. I haven't really been keeping up on new releases. The Frisell especially sounds interesting. I'm a bit reluctant to check out Mehldau with Ballard. I really liked the open feel with Rossy. From what I've read, Ballard goes after a completely different esthetic. What do you think of it?
I think Jorge Rossy? Rossy to my ear has more drive and swing. the music is more soft spoken with Ballard but he and Mehldau still make a good connection.

Mehldau intrigues me in that his music is so logical and mathematical, perhaps. But I really get into how he progresses the songs.

Mehldau may not yet be on the level as a Keith Jarrett, but I think that he is at least significant.

T

Moves
04 Jul 08
1 edit

I think Jorge Rossy? Rossy to my ear has more drive and swing. the music is more soft spoken with Ballard but he and Mehldau still make a good connection.

Mehldau intrigues me in that his music is so logical and mathematical, perhaps. But I really get into how he progresses the songs.

Mehldau may not yet be on the level as a Keith Jarrett, but I think that he is at least significant.
Actually I've long found Mehldau quite a bit more compelling than Jarrett.

Your take on Ballard is interesting. Reviews that I'd read all seemed to talk about how Ballard brought more of a "rock feel" than Rossy. I was concerned that Mehldau was going after a more accessible sound, which isn't where my interests lie.

S

Moves
04 Jul 08

I wouldn't describe mehldau as being accessible. Can't think of anything to follow that up with...sorry 🙂

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
04 Jul 08

One thing I like about Mehldau is his take on current rock songs. On this new Live CD he performs Womderwall by Oasis(?? the Gallagher bros band) and a 23:21 version of Black Hole Sun.

They aren't the best two songs but they work.

T

Moves
04 Jul 08
1 edit

One thing I like about Mehldau is his take on current rock songs. On this new Live CD he performs Womderwall by Oasis(?? the Gallagher bros band) and a 23:21 version of Black Hole Sun.

They aren't the best two songs but they work.
I've never head any of the rock songs that Mehldau has covered. I gave up on pop music some time ago, so I'm unable to compare. What Mehldau plays sounds good though.

T

Moves
06 Jul 08
1 edit

Trio-X "The Watermelon suite"
Joe McPhee
Dominic Duval
Jay Rosen

D.D. Jackson "Paired Down" Vol. 1 & 2

Roscoe Mitchell "Sound"

Joe Maneri "Tenderly"

S

Moves
10 Jul 08

As it Is
John Taylor, Peter Erskine, Palle Danielsson

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
11 Jul 08

The Lucas Pino Quintet - yellowflowerwithsnail. Pino is a21 tenor sensation out here in the desert. Very mature sound. The kid has a shot.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL MUSICIANS!

T

Moves
13 Jul 08

Art Farmer "Blame It on My Youth"
"Ph.D"

Zoot Sims "I Wish I Were Twins"
"Suddenly It's Spring"

Chico Freeman "Destiny's Dance"