1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 03:351 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Did you read any of Orson Scott Card's books or series? Alfin Maker? Ender series? Call of Earth?
    How bout Julian May, the Pliocene Saga series?
    Regarding Orson Scott Card, read the Ender series, especially the first one and the "Shadow" series of books.

Don't read Empire. It's really bad right wing conspiracy theory in which the lefties try to take over the country (with silly battlemechs and hoverscooters I think) while the righties have to subdue them and bring America back to it's wholesome conservative "roots". OSC even writes in the Foreward or Afterward or something that he thinks it's a prediction of civil war between the Left and Right.

I found the book embarrasingly bad...the difference between Ender's Game and Empire is like the difference between Bobby Fischer, World Champion and Bobby Fischer, creepy conspiracy theorist and fugitive...or between Chewbacca and Jar Jar Binks.

The artist lost his talent when he got old in all three cases.
  2. silicon valley
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 16:56
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Regarding Orson Scott Card, read the Ender series, especially the first one and the "Shadow" series of books.

Don't read Empire. It's really bad right wing conspiracy theory in which the lefties try to take over the country (with silly battlemechs and hoverscooters I think) while the righties have to subdue them and bring America back to it's whol ...[text shortened]... ca and Jar Jar Binks.

The artist lost his talent when he got old in all three cases.
    i just checked out Hidden Empire because it was new at the library, turned it back in because it was the 2nd in the series and i hadn't read the 1st and it wasn't looking to be that interesting anyway. more like a dated Ben Bova techno-docu-thriller.

i am reading Linda Nagata now, she's pretty good.

The Bohr Maker
    Deception Well
    Vast
  3. Out there somewhere
    Moves
    21 Mar '10 11:32
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Did you read any of Orson Scott Card's books or series? Alfin Maker? Ender series? Call of Earth?
    How bout Julian May, the Pliocene Saga series?
    The only Orson Scott Card book I read was Speaker of the dead and that was a long time ago. I remember not being all that impressed with it, seemed overly religious if I rememer correctly.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree