Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

1. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    05 Mar '10 02:02
    Just finished F.M. Busby's 'the breeds of man'.
    Also Mary Doria Russell's 'The Sparrow' and 'Children of God'
  2. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    05 Mar '10 06:11
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    what sci-fi are you reading?
    Philip K. Dick: Second Variety
  3. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    05 Mar '10 09:13
    I don't read sci-fi
  4. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    05 Mar '10 10:27
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I don't read sci-fi
    This does not answer the OP question. It merely explains why you can't answer it.
  5. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    05 Mar '10 11:16
    Just started Perdido Street Station by China Mieville.
  6. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    11 Mar '10 15:11
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Just started Perdido Street Station by China Mieville.
    Brilliant character, I will have to check up on him. We were both in the middle east in 1990, too bad I missed seeing him there, but he was a kid then.
  7. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    11 Mar '10 15:52
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Just finished Ubik. Interesting but I think it's one of those books with a great idea but which the author couldn't really wrap it up.
  8. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    11 Mar '10 15:55 / 1 edit
    No author is exactly like another (sorry for spouting the obvious) but I would probably say William Gibson is close. Maybe a bit of PKD on speed. Neuromancer, Mona Lisa Overdrive and The Difference Engine are great.
  9. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    14 Mar '10 18:09
    What is the gist of that story?
  10. 15 Mar '10 06:32
    just finished rereading Pohl's Starburst.
  11. 17 Mar '10 23:33 / 1 edit
    Ha, I went on a bit of a PKD binge too, started with Ubik have since read about 10 of his books and have another 5 on my shelf, never read them back to back though as his style is very distinct and it would probably put me off him.. Favourites so far are Ubik, Valis, A Scanner Darkly, Flow My Tears The Policeman Said, Time Out joint and The Divine Invasion.

Read Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes just recently and enjoyed it, just reading The City & the City by China Miéville now, like the way it's going so far anyway..
  12. 17 Mar '10 23:35 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by dk3nny
    Ha, I went on a bit of a PKD binge too, started with Ubik have since read about 10 of his books and have another 5 on my shelf, never read them back to back though as his style is very distinct and it would probably put me off him.. Favourites so far are Ubik, Valis, A Scanner Darkly, Flow My Tears The Policeman Said, Time Out joint and The Divine Invasion.
    ...[text shortened]... just reading The City & the City by China Miéville now, like the way it's going so far anyway..
    Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon is a bit of an epic too, reads like an historical record but has amazing insight.
  13. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    18 Mar '10 22:42
    Originally posted by dk3nny
    Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon is a bit of an epic too, reads like an historical record but has amazing insight.
    Did you read any of Orson Scott Card's books or series? Alfin Maker? Ender series? Call of Earth?
    How bout Julian May, the Pliocene Saga series?
  14. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Just another day
    19 Mar '10 03:35 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Did you read any of Orson Scott Card's books or series? Alfin Maker? Ender series? Call of Earth?
    How bout Julian May, the Pliocene Saga series?
    Regarding Orson Scott Card, read the Ender series, especially the first one and the "Shadow" series of books.

Don't read Empire. It's really bad right wing conspiracy theory in which the lefties try to take over the country (with silly battlemechs and hoverscooters I think) while the righties have to subdue them and bring America back to it's wholesome conservative "roots". OSC even writes in the Foreward or Afterward or something that he thinks it's a prediction of civil war between the Left and Right.

I found the book embarrasingly bad...the difference between Ender's Game and Empire is like the difference between Bobby Fischer, World Champion and Bobby Fischer, creepy conspiracy theorist and fugitive...or between Chewbacca and Jar Jar Binks.

The artist lost his talent when he got old in all three cases.
  15. 19 Mar '10 16:56
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Regarding Orson Scott Card, read the Ender series, especially the first one and the "Shadow" series of books.

Don't read Empire. It's really bad right wing conspiracy theory in which the lefties try to take over the country (with silly battlemechs and hoverscooters I think) while the righties have to subdue them and bring America back to it's whol ...[text shortened]... ca and Jar Jar Binks.

The artist lost his talent when he got old in all three cases.
    i just checked out Hidden Empire because it was new at the library, turned it back in because it was the 2nd in the series and i hadn't read the 1st and it wasn't looking to be that interesting anyway. more like a dated Ben Bova techno-docu-thriller.

i am reading Linda Nagata now, she's pretty good.

The Bohr Maker
    Deception Well
    Vast