Why music makes our brains sing

Why music makes our brains sing

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
21 Jun 13

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/opinion/sunday/why-music-makes-our-brain-sing.html?hp&sf14192847=1&_r=0

Excellent scientific-neurological explanation of how our brains enjoy great music and why it is the most pleasurable of all the arts. I adore music for its intrinsically intellectual stimulation and emotion provoking tapestry of sound and beauty.

rc

Moves
21 Jun 13

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/opinion/sunday/why-music-makes-our-brain-sing.html?hp&sf14192847=1&_r=0

Excellent scientific-neurological explanation of how our brains enjoy great music and why it is the most pleasurable of all the arts. I adore music for its intrinsically intellectual stimulation and emotion provoking tapestry of sound and beauty.
dig this then and tell me it doesn't move you man!,

&list=ALBTKoXRg38BBWTvdXu8nrj7VrLO4bQPA5

Coinleach Glas an Fhómhair

s

Moves
21 Jun 13
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
dig this then and tell me it doesn't move you man!,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o_oC22fs84&list=ALBTKoXRg38BBWTvdXu8nrj7VrLO4bQPA5

Coinleach Glas an Fhómhair
Excellent and airy voice. I like all kinds of music except rap and hip hop. Good to hear from you, old friend! Celtic music influenced our folk music greatly.

rc

Moves
22 Jun 13

Excellent and airy voice. I like all kinds of music except rap and hip hop. Good to hear from you, old friend! Celtic music influenced our folk music greatly.
i thought you might like its slightly operatic tones 🙂

s

Moves
22 Jun 13

i thought you might like its slightly operatic tones 🙂
I would not call it operatic by any stretch, but that makes it no less worthy or attractive. That lady has a voice really well suited for the genre! Good music is good music regardless of genre. I love Celtic music, country music, folk music, blue grass, and my son has even got me hooked on some metal.

rc

Moves
23 Jun 13

I would not call it operatic by any stretch, but that makes it no less worthy or attractive. That lady has a voice really well suited for the genre! Good music is good music regardless of genre. I love Celtic music, country music, folk music, blue grass, and my son has even got me hooked on some metal.
my dentist used to play opera exclusively when he worked, was kind of surreal, all he whizzing of equipment and opera playing while he worked on your teeth.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
23 Jun 13
2 edits

my dentist used to play opera exclusively when he worked, was kind of surreal, all he whizzing of equipment and opera playing while he worked on your teeth.
So you were watching the dentist work on Scazzi's teeth! BTW, I saw Clannad live at McCabes Guitar shop in Santa Monica back when I had my band Southwind. She sang it there too. I also have the vinyl of them. I have a large folk collection as you might suspect. Doc Watson's first album, Backwards Sam Firk's first album, Judy Collins, Joan Baez, all their first records. And a lot more.

Also saw the Boys of the Lough, they were friends who came to Judy Gamarel's house a number of times, she was one of the founding members of Southwind.

Her dad, Art Gameral was one of the hidden names VERY high up at 20th century Fox, the Comptroller. He was the dude producers came begging for money to make movies. They have a very nice house in Westwood, near Beverly hills.

s

Moves
23 Jun 13

That's a misuse of opera if I ever heard of one! Stop going to Mengele, DDS! LOL I enjoy all sorts of music, but in the right setting. I don't mind elevator music in elevators for example. Recently we had a work party at an ailing teacher's home from my son's art high school. Someone put on opera and it slowed things down. One of the girls popped in a country CD of uplifting music. Made us work harder and finish faster.

rc

Moves
26 Jun 13

That's a misuse of opera if I ever heard of one! Stop going to Mengele, DDS! LOL I enjoy all sorts of music, but in the right setting. I don't mind elevator music in elevators for example. Recently we had a work party at an ailing teacher's home from my son's art high school. Someone put on opera and it slowed things down. One of the girls popped in a country CD of uplifting music. Made us work harder and finish faster.
The link between metal and opera is not so tenuous, Bruce Dickinson essentially turned Iron Maiden into an operatic outfit.

s

Moves
26 Jun 13

The link between metal and opera is not so tenuous, Bruce Dickinson essentially turned Iron Maiden into an operatic outfit.
Quasi-operatic does not come close to making things operatic. I love Iron Maiden, but I'm sure no one would mistake them for opera. Opera is much more subtle, polished, has more complex polyphony and a texture that can range from dreamy to emotive and uplifting even in its most tragic moments such as Sigfried's funeral music from Gotterdamerung.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
02 Jul 13

I can go along with that. I like Spanish guitar music best.

s

Moves
02 Jul 13

Originally posted by bill718
I can go along with that. I like Spanish guitar music best.
Don't miss out on Italian guitar music. Mauro Giuliani is pretty wonderful as is Brazilian Villalobos. For a slightly different sound Mexico's Bribiesca is about as good as it gets as well as Argentina's Guastavino. Guitar music is indeed wonderful. Lots of pretty wonderful blue grass out there as well.