1. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    13 Oct '09 17:24
    Any fans of this group. I guess I'm late to the party for this band but they're kind of interesting. I'm going to the library to listen to a few CDs of theirs. I mihght be a real fan in a day or two...or not. Critical darlings I'm lead to believe.
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    13 Oct '09 17:43
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Any fans of this group. I guess I'm late to the party for this band but they're kind of interesting. I'm going to the library to listen to a few CDs of theirs. I mihght be a real fan in a day or two...or not. Critical darlings I'm lead to believe.
    No, but I am a fan of Yo La Tengo. 😉 And yes, you're a bit late as they've been around for over 20 years.

Favourite albums of theirs are: Painful, I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One and And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out - all from the nineties.

Favourite song: The Crying of Lot G

Early stuff is heavy on the Velvet Underground and Sonic Youth influence. Later records are more refined.
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Oct '09 19:52

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    13 Oct '09 20:05
    Massive fan - going to see them (for the second time) next month. I'd agree that I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One and And Then Nothing turned Itself Inside Out are excellent (the former is a favourite album, period and the second is great, even if it is one long riff on Autumn Sweater from I Can Hear the Heart...).

Other albums worth listening to are Electropura (rivals I Can Hear the Heart in my affections) and the new one, Popular Songs.

The three CD Prisoners of Love is a sort of best of/rerecordings/b-sides and rarities thing, but it's probably a good place to start, actually.

It's just great quality, American indie, inventive guitar music, and they've evolved a lot over the years. It's just a shame none of them can really sing...
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    13 Oct '09 20:11
    Originally posted by DrKF
    It's just great quality, American indie, inventive guitar music, and they've evolved a lot over the years. It's just a shame none of them can really sing...
    Heh. Especially live, Georgia and Ira don't really project all that well, but I absolutely love the understated "hushiness" of their vocals on the records. It makes a big part of their sound.

Also recommended (for a laugh or light-hearted listen) is the 'Yo La Tengo is Murdering the Classics' album.
  6. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    14 Oct '09 00:06
    I picked up "I am not afraid of you and I will beat yout a**" And a collection called "prisoners of Love" with some outtakes.
  7. Illinois
    Moves
    22 Oct '09 04:31
    They're talented musicians, to be sure. Caught a live show last year and was impressed with how they switched instruments almost every song. My favorite album by them is, "And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out."
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 13:15
    Yeah I got the "heart beating.." album. I really like it and enjoy the sheer variety of their music. Which album of theirs should be on my list to get?
  9. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 14:081 edit
    I haven't listened to any of their records, but I just saw their performance on the concert series "A Beautiful Noise" (a televised concert series filmed at the Berkeley Church in Toronto), and I have to say they suck balls live. Everyone tells me their records are much better. I will endeavour to find out.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree