Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. Subscriber sonhouseonline
    Fast and Curious
    11 Feb '14 19:02 / 2 edits
    My favorite red: Louis Jadot Beaujolais-Villages, very smooth! I buy it by the magnum!

    Here is a talk, in French, about the Louis Jadot vineyards:

    YouTube
  2. Standard member caissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    12 Feb '14 01:31
    Liebfraumilch, I love it.
  3. Subscriber sonhouseonline
    Fast and Curious
    12 Feb '14 14:52 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Liebfraumilch, I love it.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/13/dining/13iht-wine13.html?_r=0&adxnnl=1&pagewanted=2&adxnnlx=1392216601-UaWReXuJonKbEDo2zj+9sA

    A piece on German wines, haven't figured out whether they are serious about not like Liebfraumilch or not. What is your take?
  4. Subscriber Pianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    12 Feb '14 15:29
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    My favorite red: Louis Jadot Beaujolais-Villages, very smooth! I buy it by the magnum!

    Here is a talk, in French, about the Louis Jadot vineyards:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybKDZWgAlhA
    Great respect for and love of the wines of Louis Jadot. When I can afford it the Chassagne-Montrachet Premier Cru, Morgot Clos de la Chapelle Duc de Magenta 2009 is pure heaven. Or just try the affordable Louis Jadot Bourgogne - the pinot noir with overtones of deep summer evenings.
  5. Subscriber sonhouseonline
    Fast and Curious
    12 Feb '14 17:05
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    Great respect for and love of the wines of Louis Jadot. When I can afford it the Chassagne-Montrachet Premier Cru, Morgot Clos de la Chapelle Duc de Magenta 2009 is pure heaven. Or just try the affordable Louis Jadot Bourgogne - the pinot noir with overtones of deep summer evenings.
    I suppose I could order them but our local state store doesn't have much more than the Beaujolais which I have grown really fond of. I have been buying that wine for years and I would try to get my wife to try it and she would and go EWW. This time I got her to try it and she goes, wow, this is really good! It might be the temperature, I store the wine in the back staircase which doesn't have much insulation and it stays fairly cold so the wine is something like 40 degrees. Really great cool like that.
  6. 13 Feb '14 00:20
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I suppose I could order them but our local state store doesn't have much more than the Beaujolais which I have grown really fond of. I have been buying that wine for years and I would try to get my wife to try it and she would and go EWW. This time I got her to try it and she goes, wow, this is really good! It might be the temperature, I store the wine in t ...[text shortened]... and it stays fairly cold so the wine is something like 40 degrees. Really great cool like that.
    shiraz................................any.
  7. Subscriber sonhouseonline
    Fast and Curious
    13 Feb '14 13:40
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    shiraz................................any.
    Shiraz is pretty good wine for sure. I like dry whites, 13 to 14 percent.
  8. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    13 Feb '14 15:39
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/13/dining/13iht-wine13.html?_r=0&adxnnl=1&pagewanted=2&adxnnlx=1392216601-UaWReXuJonKbEDo2zj+9sA

    A piece on German wines, haven't figured out whether they are serious about not like Liebfraumilch or not. What is your take?
    NIERSTEIN, GERMANY — A century ago, the vineyards that rise precipitously from the banks of the Rhine here produced some of the most prized wines in the world. The Roter Hang, or red slope, was the pride of Rheinhessen, the largest wine region in Germany.

    Then came a trio of disasters: World War I, World War II and Liebfraumilch. Postwar economic recovery and mass-market consumerism fueled demand for the bland, sugary white wine, named after a church in the nearby city of Worms. Much of it was produced from grapes grown in Rheinhessen and sold under kitschy brand names like Blue Nun, Black Tower and Goldener Oktober.


    That about sums it up.
  9. Subscriber sonhouseonline
    Fast and Curious
    14 Feb '14 00:18
    Originally posted by rwingett
    NIERSTEIN, GERMANY — A century ago, the vineyards that rise precipitously from the banks of the Rhine here produced some of the most prized wines in the world. The Roter Hang, or red slope, was the pride of Rheinhessen, the largest wine region in Germany.

    Then came a trio of disasters: World War I, World War II and Liebfraumilch. Postwar economic ...[text shortened]... y brand names like Blue Nun, Black Tower and Goldener Oktober.


    That about sums it up.
    Do you have a favorite?
  10. 15 Feb '14 19:02
    Bolla Valpolicella or Bardolino or a fine Chianti. For bubbly, Asti Spumante or Roederer Estate's L'Ermitage.
  11. Subscriber sonhouseonline
    Fast and Curious
    16 Feb '14 15:54
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Bolla Valpolicella or Bardolino or a fine Chianti. For bubbly, Asti Spumante or Roederer Estate's L'Ermitage.
    You like the blended wines. I'll have to see if they have it at our local state store. Ever try the Jadot?
  12. Standard member Crowley
    Not Aleister
    08 Mar '14 09:28
    1987 Kanonkop Cabernet Sauvignon
  13. Subscriber sonhouseonline
    Fast and Curious
    08 Mar '14 19:43
    Originally posted by Crowley
    1987 Kanonkop Cabernet Sauvignon
    1987, that might be a bit pricey:

    http://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2013/09/record-prices-paid-at-nederburg-auction

    At the bottom of the page, a 1993 went for $850.
  14. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    17 Mar '14 23:55
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Do you have a favorite?
    I don't think I could narrow it down to one favorite wine. But here are a few over the past few years that I thought were very good:

    White:
    Black Star Farms Sur Lie Chardonnay (Michigan)
    Chateau Ste. Michelle Chardonay (Washington)
    Les Portes de Bordeaux (France)
    Glen Carlou Chardonnay (South Africa)

    Red:
    Hahn Pinot Noir (California)
    Juan Gil Monastrell (Spain)
    Domain Faverot (France)
    Cantina Zaccagnini Montepulciano d'abruzzo (Italy)
  15. Subscriber sonhouseonline
    Fast and Curious
    18 Mar '14 10:20 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I don't think I could narrow it down to one favorite wine. But here are a few over the past few years that I thought were very good:

    White:
    Black Star Farms Sur Lie Chardonnay (Michigan)
    Chateau Ste. Michelle Chardonay (Washington)
    Les Portes de Bordeaux (France)
    Glen Carlou Chardonnay (South Africa)

    Red:
    Hahn Pinot Noir (California)
    Juan Gi ...[text shortened]... onastrell (Spain)
    Domain Faverot (France)
    Cantina Zaccagnini Montepulciano d'abruzzo (Italy)
    I wonder how many of those wines are available at local wine state stores?

    Have you ever tried the Jadot reds?