1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 May '11 15:00
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    They are also dim for the first minute. So you walk into a room looking for something and have to squint in a pinkish glow for awhile.
    What would the Pilgrim Fathers and rugged frontiersmen have made of modern Americans?
  2. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    20 May '11 16:25
    Originally posted by FMF
    What would the Pilgrim Fathers and rugged frontiersmen have made of modern Americans?
    You mean these guys?

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Being told to buy government light bulbs? They would think something like this:

"If they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 May '11 16:361 edit
    You mean these guys?

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, [b]Liberty
    and the pursuit of Happiness."

"If they mean to have a war, let it begin here."[/b]
    No I was just making a joke about the trials and tribulations you suffer, what with the pink light and all, when you walk into a room. But, hey. Maybe your punchline is better than mine.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 May '11 16:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    That we've become too used to having an overwhelmingly powerful standing army.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 May '11 16:43
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    That we've become too used to having an overwhelmingly powerful standing army.
    Oh dear, I was just teasing spruce112358 by taking one of his sentences out of context and framing it as the complaint of a rather effete descendent of the rugged individuals who ate buffalo by candlelight. I will start a thread so as not to hijack this one...
  6. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    20 May '11 17:23
    You mean these guys?

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, [b]Liberty
    and the pursuit of Happiness."

"If they mean to have a war, let it begin here."[/b]
    That is a brilliant post!

Well.... except for the part where you falsely claim anybody is being forced to buy government light bulbs.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 May '11 19:391 edit
    They are also dim for the first minute. So you walk into a room looking for something and have to squint in a pinkish glow for awhile.

I don't care even if they are cheaper. I'll pay the extra cost to have nice, bright, immediate light.

Why should that liberty be taken away?
    Grow up. The ability to buy an inefficient light bulb is hardly something Locke or the Framers would have thought as a Natural Right or inherent liberty.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 May '11 19:44

I don't care even if they are cheaper. I'll pay the extra cost to have nice, bright, immediate light.

Why should that liberty be taken away?
    Nobody owes you light bulbs of any kind.
  9. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    21 May '11 02:47
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/may/20/ameripac/conservative-pac-claims-democrats-banned-incandesc/

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/may/20/chain-email/conservative-group-claims-new-law-would-require-pe/
  10. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    21 May '11 05:011 edit
    Thomas Edison would probably be rather bemused, if not crestfallen, if he learned that so many people would still be buying bulbs little changed from his original designs in the year 2011 A.D.
  11. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    21 May '11 10:31
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Then I'll ask you what I asked Wajoma, who is paying you to post here and how much. I would like to get paid too.
    I do it for the personal gratification of kicking control freak ass.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree