1. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 May '11 10:19
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    No I don't have a gripe about campaign donations, I have a gripe about what those campaign donations buy. Do you see the difference?
    So you are OK with massive campaign donations so long as they are not economic related? So its OK for political reasons such as a donation from Israel or North Korea, but not OK when it is economic eg from Saudi Arabia or BP?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 May '11 15:08
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    BTW, Whodey. It doesn't bother you that the "article" you posted blatantly lied to you? You will not.... NOT be required to buy a $50 light bulb.

I mean, if I read some crap on the internet that deliberately deceived me I would angry. You're not even mad that you got suckered?
    Does it bother me when I'm lied to and suckered? No, because I get it from both sides of the isle. What would bother me is if people started telling the truth. It would unerve me and make me wonder what the @$$$ is going on!!

As for there not being $50 light bulbs, all I can say is that we will soon see. What I do know is to make things more energy efficient, whether they be cars, light bulbs etc, the cost goes up. So what do you think they will cost?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 May '11 15:09
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    "After all, assuming the role of energy policeman has no bounds."

Yes, because the "slippery slope" argument applies to literally everything.

"They will tell you what cars you can drive"

Yes, just imagine if the big guvamint began setting minimum effeciency requirements for cars. Oh, wait. That already happened decades ago.

"and what ...[text shortened]... ld go on, but the point has been made. Whodey, you're already living in the apocalypse.
    Where do you draw the line? Is there even a line?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 May '11 15:121 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What you really should be arguing about is not whether government regulation is good / bad but the system you have in the US where instead of government regulation being for the good of the people, it is based on which industry spends the most on lobbyists.
    I suppose that if you cannot think of an alternative system, then you might argue that it is best to avoid regulation altogether.
    Its the global system really. $$$ buys power. It just amuses me how some people think that their pet political party is somehow different.
  5. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    19 May '11 19:29
    Originally posted by whodey
    Where the line is drawn is certainly a reasonable question and an ongoing debate. But when you make the "slippery slope" argument you're creating a false dichotomy. You're saying you must choose between a laisez-fair market and total government control, which simply is not true.
  6. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    19 May '11 19:39
    Does it bother me when I'm lied to and suckered? No, because I get it from both sides of the isle. What would bother me is if people started telling the truth. It would unerve me and make me wonder what the @$$$ is going on!!

As for there not being $50 light bulbs, all I can say is that we will soon see. What I do know is to make things more energy eff ...[text shortened]... whether they be cars, light bulbs etc, the cost goes up. So what do you think they will cost?
    Incandescent bulbs in France cost about 1 euro before they were banned. New ones cost 9-10 euros each.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 May '11 19:531 edit
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    New ones cost 9-10 euros each.[/b]
    Isn't that equal to 50 American dollars today? Then again, it may be more today, I have to check and see how many trillions of dollars the fed printed today.
  8. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    19 May '11 21:05
    Isn't that equal to 50 American dollars today? Then again, it may be more today, I have to check and see how many trillions of dollars the fed printed today.
    It's about 1.4 Dollars to the Euro. But you were close.
  9. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    19 May '11 21:17
    Do what you usually do: draw a line to absurdity and beyond.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 May '11 21:30
    Incandescent bulbs in France cost about 1 euro before they were banned. New ones cost 9-10 euros each.
    If they are CFLs, they last 8-20 times as long, so in general you're saving money. http://www.eco-wisdom.com/articles/electronics/cfls-vs-incandescent-light-bulbs.html
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 May '11 06:18
    Its the global system really. $$$ buys power. It just amuses me how some people think that their pet political party is somehow different.
    Then I'll ask you what I asked Wajoma, who is paying you to post here and how much. I would like to get paid too.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 May '11 06:22
    What I do know is to make things more energy efficient, whether they be cars, light bulbs etc, the cost goes up.
    That's nonsense. You already know that CFLs are cheaper overall for the consumer than incandescents. There is no reason to believe that electric cars will remain more expensive than petrol driven ones. In fact, I believe they will be cheaper within the next 30 years.
    There are many other things that got cheaper as they got more efficient from day 1. Computer chips for example get cheaper to make as they shrink the die size as less silicon is used. At the same time they become faster and more energy efficient.
  13. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    20 May '11 11:37
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    If they are CFLs, they last 8-20 times as long, so in general you're saving money. http://www.eco-wisdom.com/articles/electronics/cfls-vs-incandescent-light-bulbs.html
    They are also dim for the first minute. So you walk into a room looking for something and have to squint in a pinkish glow for awhile.

I don't care even if they are cheaper. I'll pay the extra cost to have nice, bright, immediate light.

Why should that liberty be taken away?
  14. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    20 May '11 13:59
    They are also dim for the first minute. So you walk into a room looking for something and have to squint in a pinkish glow for awhile.

I don't care even if they are cheaper. I'll pay the extra cost to have nice, bright, immediate light.

Why should that liberty be taken away?
    That's not true. Aside from the time it takes for the bulb to illuminate, the light must travel from the bulb, reflect off of the surfaces in the room and into your eyes, and then be registered by your brain.

That's not instant, that's tons of time.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 May '11 14:46
    They are also dim for the first minute.
    You must have poor quality CFLs. Mine are plenty bright enough from the moment they are switched on.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree