1. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    07 Jul '18 18:121 edit
    https://www.dw.com/en/austria-thousands-protest-against-plans-for-12-hour-workday/a-44475182

Please, everyone. By all means, continue to vote for right wing scumbags.

It's certainly going to make the world a much, much better place.
  2. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    07 Jul '18 23:04
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    https://www.dw.com/en/austria-thousands-protest-against-plans-for-12-hour-workday/a-44475182

Please, everyone. By all means, continue to vote for right wing scumbags.

It's certainly going to make the world a much, much better place.
    How is this 'right wing'? What reputable definition of 'right wing' are you using.

BTW I didn't see any indication that workers would be forced to work 12 hours, surely a 12 hour shift would suit some workers especially if they get a 3 day weekend.
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    07 Jul '18 23:41
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    How is this 'right wing'? What reputable definition of 'right wing' are you using.

BTW I didn't see any indication that workers would be forced to work 12 hours, surely a 12 hour shift would suit some workers especially if they get a 3 day weekend.
    I’m sure 12 hour working days would suit a few workers.

However, most working people have sustain a family, and 12 hours isn’t realistic. Working fewer hours helps them to invest in their kids, which leads to them being less dysfunctional.
  4. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    08 Jul '18 06:101 edit
    Originally posted by @shavixmir

However, most working people have sustain a family, and 12 hours isn’t realistic. Working fewer hours helps them to invest in their kids, which leads to them being less dysfunctional.
    Well we agree then. Different people in different situations might prefer different conditions. Guvamint shouldn't dictate an 8, 8.25, 10, 9.333, 12 or 20 hour day, just let people figure out what is best for themselves. You use the example of family time, that's great for people that have families in certain situations. But the guy that has to stay away from home for a week or month might prefer to get in and knock the job over, make some money, thus creating more family time for himself. (or *sigh* herself [for the sake of the terminally triggered D64])
  5. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    08 Jul '18 09:33
    7/12s for me is around 6K. Uncle sam takes 1/2. why bother?
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    08 Jul '18 09:35

Right wing scumbags greatly enjoy giving as much power to employers as possible, while treating employees like disposable machines. When ideas like these are proposed they are almost always proposed by disgusting right wingers, with no empathy for their fellow human beings at all.

Even if it is volutarily, it will make the position of the one choosing to work a *measly* eight hours much, much weaker than the one choosing to work 12 hours.

Of course, you have no problem with certain groups (women, elderly, "them coloured folks" ) having an inherently weaker position when it comes to finding and keeping a job, so you will not see a problem with this is at all.

Gross right wing scumbags.

We're really going through a very dark world wide political period right now.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    08 Jul '18 09:39

"Some workers" isn't particularly interesting.

The vast majority of workers have already lost most of their concentration after ~6 hours. Twelve hours of doing roughly the same job, five days a week is going to reduce quality, vastly increase unhappiness and meanwhile make the rich even richer.

We're moving in a bad direction, currently.
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    08 Jul '18 11:376 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    08 Jul '18 11:48

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    08 Jul '18 11:51

You clearly didn't read the article:

"Tens of thousands of people in Vienna packed the streets on Saturday to voice their opposition to loosening labor laws to allow for a 12-hour workday and subsequent 60-hour workweek."

12 hours over a five-day work week is 60 hours. This law wouldn't give workers a three-day weekend; it'll only lessen how much time they have for themselves.

http://www.thedawn-news.org/2018/07/04/austrians-march-against-law-permitting-12-hour-work-days/

Though the government has said that the new rules are ‘voluntary’, the unions have pointed out that the new laws also remove the power of works’ councils to veto employers’ demands for extra hours.

Both articles mention the government already allows employers to impose 10-hour work days, resulting in a 50-hour work week. As the article I posted shows, this new law removes union ability to refuse demands for extra hours; so this government is basically lying to it's people about the 12-hours being voluntary.

And both articles point out that this government is right-wing.
  11. S. Korea
    Moves
    08 Jul '18 11:57
    I am not sure about how it works in Austria... But I am guessing that the principle on this is to cut regulations that would enable free workers to sell their labors for the amount of time that they would like to sell it for and that this is moreso about free parties making contracts freely.

Obviously, if you think about this like it is some cartoon and there's an obese, piggish man smoking a fat cigar between his fat fingers & shuffling around some paperwork that will make everyday Joe now work 12 hours a day... 4 OF THEM UNPAID... for LESS WAGES THAN BEFORE...

You can have some kind of emotional outburst about this but honestly... I don't really get it.

Is that the case?

Or is this just exaggerations.
  12. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    08 Jul '18 16:07
    Well we agree then. Different people in different situations might prefer different conditions. Guvamint shouldn't dictate an 8, 8.25, 10, 9.333, 12 or 20 hour day, just let people figure out what is best for themselves. You use the example of family time, that's great for people that have families in certain situations. But the guy that has to stay away ...[text shortened]... ily time for himself. (or *sigh* herself [for the sake of the terminally triggered D64])
    I’m fine with governments clipping the greedy wings of the non-producing classes and setting down a maximum amount of hours a boss can abuse someone.

And 8 a day is fine.
  13. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 00:17
    I’m fine with governments clipping the greedy wings of the non-producing classes and setting down a maximum amount of hours a boss can abuse someone.

And 8 a day is fine.
    Ha. Like you work 8 hours a day, you clock watching paycheck sponge. 😉
  14. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 04:12
    Originally posted by @soothfast
    Ha. Like you work 8 hours a day, you clock watching paycheck sponge. 😉
    Hippie!
  15. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 05:41
    Hippie!
    Man, I've been called a lot of things in my life, but "hippie" was never one of them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree