1. Joined
    23 Feb '22
    Moves
    20 Mar '23 13:481 edit
    Anyway......to get by in America today, ya gotta make about 50 grand a year after taxes to be "comfortable."
    Since I grew up in the 1950's and 60's, this is freaking me out.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    20 Mar '23 13:58
    Depends where you live. If California or NYC, it's not enough. If it's some rural area with a relatively low population, it might be enough.
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    20 Mar '23 15:18
    It's called inflation.
  4. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    20 Mar '23 16:03
    That’s why state funded education and health is so important.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 Mar '23 16:35
    @kewpie said
    It's called inflation.
    A combination of inflation and all the money trickling up to billionaires creating higher prices without higher incomes for the working class
  6. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    22 Mar '23 11:11
    @shavixmir said
    Please rephrase, as a state has no money to fund.
    They do pay for education through 18 years old. (High School).
    Adults. Time for Choice and Decisions.
    But, How would they pay for healthcare. Should patients not have skin in the game? You guys really leave posts incomplete. Your post is only one sentence long, you need more sentences.
  7. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    22 Mar '23 11:173 edits
    @shavixmir said
    What is 'why'? Don't get you there. You are saying the existence of inflation is why? So then, how is inflation softened, if you will, by having the state fund education and health?. You imply that it would be free, and that the citizens affected by inflation would not have to pay for it?.
    ??
    So,, who would pay for it?
  8. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    22 Mar '23 11:19
    @kewpie said
    It's called inflation.
    Inflation is oversupply of money, it's caused by goobermint helicopter money.

Hope you don't report my post again like a cry baby.
  9. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    22 Mar '23 11:231 edit
    @wajoma said

Is that who did that? I can think of nothing more candy-ass than tattle tailing at our age. "I'm going to Aleeeeerrt on you!!!"

I do think that they are constantly angry, something eating at them all the time, and it is normal for them.

"Moderators!!! AvJoe is telling us to be self reliant!!!!"
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    22 Mar '23 11:35
    @wajoma said
    Inflation is oversupply of money
    No, that's merely one way to cause inflation.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Mar '23 13:18
    @jj-adams said
    Anyway......to get by in America today, ya gotta make about 50 grand a year after taxes to be "comfortable."
    Since I grew up in the 1950's and 60's, this is freaking me out.
    50 grand a year?

LOL. That would pay half my tuition bills.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    22 Mar '23 19:55
    @wajoma said

If everyone’s amount of money was doubled, yes prices would also double, but it wouldn’t matter. So clearly the problem isn’t simply the money supply. It’s about who has the money.
  13. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    22 Mar '23 20:35
    @athousandyoung said
    If everyone’s amount of money was doubled, yes prices would also double, but it wouldn’t matter. So clearly the problem isn’t simply the money supply. It’s about who has the money.
    Agreed, there is a lag for the effect of over-supply to flow out into the economy. The winners are at the source. In the US you can have the 'fed res isn't a goobermint entity' debate, but all over the world the source of the majic money is goobermint.

Next time you clamour for more goobermint, be aware of what you're clamouring for.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    22 Mar '23 20:54
    @wajoma said
    Agreed, there is a lag for the effect of over-supply to flow out into the economy. The winners are at the source. In the US you can have the 'fed res isn't a goobermint entity' debate, but all over the world the source of the majic money is goobermint.

Next time you clamour for more goobermint, be aware of what you're clamouring for.
    Since billionaires keep getting richer we can see that they are the ones winning. Unless you think Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos got their money from government printing presses your argument does not hold up.
  15. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    22 Mar '23 21:31
    @athousandyoung said
    Since billionaires keep getting richer we can see that they are the ones winning. Unless you think Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos got their money from government printing presses your argument does not hold up.
    They're near the source. Musk has accepted millions in goobermint grants for the greenie cars. It comes at a cost, there has to be some back-flow, multi million dollar election campaigns in a competition to elect the biggest liars.

ATY says: Since billionaires keep getting richer.

But are they? A billion dollars isn't worth the same as a billion dollars only a month ago. If you held a billion dollars for a month, didn't invest it, you'd be crying at the lose of value. You could buy a house with the equivalent lose in value. 'Tax the rich tax the rich.' cries ATY.

Inflation is a tax on anyone that holds a dollar.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree