1. Germany
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 19:57
    Originally posted by normbenign
    So would it not be logical to seek some other factor than high levels of gun ownership as a factor in killings, accidental and criminal?

The same or higher levels of legal gun ownership exist in rural and in urban America. Farmers in rural Illinois aren't shooting each other in drive byes like the gang bangers in Chicago.

There are obviously cultural factors afoot.
    The data would suggest that gun ownership plays a role in impulsive crimes of passion/insanity and suicides, but not so much in other crimes. Crime rates in Finland and Switzerland are very low. Criminals could easily get a gun, but there aren't many criminals who want to get one.
  2. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 19:591 edit
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    Another dead child thanks to worthless parents.

What's worse? Letting a drug dealing schmuck like Mr. Pratt be in possession of legal and/or illegal weapons or letting him procreate and be a father?
    Are you saying that government should interfere with natural selection?
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 20:03
    So would it not be logical to seek some other factor than high levels of gun ownership as a factor in killings, accidental and criminal?

The same or higher levels of legal gun ownership exist in rural and in urban America. Farmers in rural Illinois aren't shooting each other in drive byes like the gang bangers in Chicago.

There are obviously cultural factors afoot.
    Illinoise ...

http://www.connecttristates.com/news/story.aspx?id=411143#.USvDVjccBA8
    http://www.courierpress.com/news/2012/dec/13/no-headline---shootingsuspectsbrf/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Illinois_University_shooting
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 20:23
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Leaving a loaded gun out within children's reach is like leaving a baby in a car with the windows rolled up on a hot summers day. No one blames the car do they.
    No-one blames the gun.
    It was just fulfilling its raison d'etre.
  5. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 20:39
    Are you saying that government should interfere with natural selection?
    If only!

A man can dream....
  6. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 20:47
    Originally posted by moon1969
    The insane proliferation of guns in our society.

[quote]February 24, 2013

A 4-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed himself with his father's gun in north Houston early Sunday morning. Jaiden Pratt was spending the weekend with his father, 21-year-old Marquiez Pratt . . . when the accident occurred, said Sgt. Brian Harris with the Houston Police ...[text shortened]... on.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Infant-killed-by-gunfire-in-N-Houston-4304104.php
    I'm sure glad all those guns in America are making us safer!!😏
  7. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 20:58
    Originally posted by bill718
    I'm sure glad all those guns in America are making us safer!!😏
    So you like guns then?
  8. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 23:23
    That is a good argument. There is one problem with it though. The government having a database of where the guns are and controlling who can get a licence runs counter to the second amendment. The right was not written with duck hunters in mind but with the common man being able to organize and throw off a bad government. Thankfully it hasn't come to that ...[text shortened]... mendment right away would also not be effective for the same reasons and is not in the cards.
    There will always be accidents with firearms unfortunately

There have been no accidents with firearms in my family at all which may be accounted for by the fact that there have never been any firearms in my family (or not since my grandfather anyway). Nor am I aware of any such accidents in my town though I may be mistaken, presumably because there are no firearms in my town, though I may be mistaken.

So maybe "always" only applies if there are firearms to start with and not otherwise. And maybe there is a correlation, such that the more firearms the more the risk.

And maybe the Second Amendment can be amended?
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Feb '13 10:37
    Are you implying that the proper use of a firearm is that a child kill themselves?
    no. im not implying anything. im clearly saying that a gun, when used correctly fires a projectile that is designed to damage flesh. comparisons between guns (designed for killing) and other potentially dangerous things such as cars (not designed for killing) is stupid.
  10. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    26 Feb '13 20:15
    Originally posted by finnegan
    There will always be accidents with firearms unfortunately

There have been no accidents with firearms in my family at all which may be accounted for by the fact that there have never been any firearms in my family (or not since my grandfather anyway). Nor am I aware of any such accidents in my town though I may be mistaken, presumably becaus ...[text shortened]... ch that the more firearms the more the risk.

And maybe the Second Amendment can be amended?
    I read ya, but lets say we got rid of guns. Would the government do the same? Nope. If there was an amendment to the second amendment I would hope it would not be a right, but a duty to have firearms.
  11. ALG
    Moves
    26 Feb '13 20:46
    If the child had had a gun, the shooter wouldn't have been able to ...
  12. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 08:27
    Originally posted by moon1969
    The insane proliferation of guns in our society.

[quote]February 24, 2013

A 4-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed himself with his father's gun in north Houston early Sunday morning. Jaiden Pratt was spending the weekend with his father, 21-year-old Marquiez Pratt . . . when the accident occurred, said Sgt. Brian Harris with the Houston Police ...[text shortened]... on.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Infant-killed-by-gunfire-in-N-Houston-4304104.php
    Put your money where your mouth is. You live in Texas, right? Be a good citizen and go collect your neighbors' guns in the name of safety for all.

I put the over/under on the number of guns you collect before you get shot at zero. But hey - you go try. I'm a pessimist.
  13. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 13:17
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Put your money where your mouth is. You live in Texas, right? Be a good citizen and go collect your neighbors' guns in the name of safety for all.

I put the over/under on the number of guns you collect before you get shot at zero. But hey - you go try. I'm a pessimist.
    That's not how an over/under works.
  14. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    28 Feb '13 07:36
    Leaving a loaded gun out within children's reach is like leaving a baby in a car with the windows rolled up on a hot summers day. No one blames the car do they.
    Not a good analogy. Cars have a useful purpose. The massive insane proliferation of guns does not.
  15. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    28 Feb '13 07:38
    Insane proliferation of stupid posts.
    Nice. I disagree obviously but respect the mirroring of words, and the tenor and conciseness of your comment.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree