1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 18:521 edit
    Since CNN and FOX News seem to be able to do little except bash each other, I've turned to CNBC financial news. The folks on wall street are getting genuinely concerned about a looming bipartisan problem, America's spiraling national debt. For the last 6 years unemployment has been low and the economy has been strong, but neither President Obama or President Trump has done much to address this growing threat. Now I am finding that America's efforts to sell paper securities to service this debt is becoming more difficult since investors are now genuinely skeptical America can meet its financial obligations in the future. This has the potential to make the great recession seem mild in comparison. So, with the national debt rising 36% faster than the economy, what will it take for our lawmakers to finally raise the necessary tax revenue to begin to pay down this multi trillion dollar debt??

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-national-debt-is-rising-much-faster-than-the-economy-2018-3

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/14/fed-mester-central-bank-raise-rates.html
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 19:51
    Originally posted by @mchill
    what will it take for our lawmakers to finally raise the necessary tax revenue to begin to pay down this multi trillion dollar debt??
    The tax cut passed a few months ago for the rich is going to increase our debt by at least two trillion. I don't think there's any way to raise enough tax revenue to bring down the debt.

Our only other hope is a significant cut to the military budget, since over a half a trillion is spent on it. But even there, Trump wants to INCREASE spending.

America's debt started spiraling out of control when a pointless war based on a lie was funded with a credit card. The GOP is continuing their idiotic policies, and it's going to kill the U.S.

Of course, much of U.S. debt is owned domestically. American owners of U.S. debt need to understand that keeping the country in debt will ruin the country. But debt cancellation is a pipe dream.

An independent, non-partisan commission needs to be created specifically for the debt (the Federal Reserve is a joke). Legislation needs to be passed ensuring that debt is reduced each and every single year.
  3. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 20:04
    First a thread about fisting and now a thread about mounting wall street.

You guys are weird.
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 20:05
    Originally posted by @vivify
    The tax cut passed a few months ago for the rich is going to increase our debt by at least two trillion. I don't think there's any way to raise enough tax revenue to bring down the debt.

Our only other hope is a significant cut to the military budget, since over a half a trillion is spent on it. But even there, Trump wants to INCREASE spending.

A ...[text shortened]... joke). Legislation needs to be passed ensuring that debt is reduced each and every single year.
    An independent, non-partisan commission needs to be created specifically for the debt (the Federal Reserve is a joke). Legislation needs to be passed ensuring that debt is reduced each and every single year.

Let us hope so. This is going to get very ugly if something is not done.
  5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 20:074 edits
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey

You guys are weird.
    If you'd bothered to read my thread, you'd see it was about fishing, not fisting. I did it to get away from the partisan squabbling that's invaded the debates section, and if you'd bothered to read the links I've posted on the debt, you would have seen this is everyone's problem.

Still think it's "weird??"
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 20:11
    Since CNN and FOX News seem to be able to do little except bash each other, I've turned to CNBC financial news. The folks on wall street are getting genuinely concerned about a looming bipartisan problem, America's spiraling national debt. For the last 6 years unemployment has been low and the economy has been strong, but neither President Obama or President ...[text shortened]... n-the-economy-2018-3

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/14/fed-mester-central-bank-raise-rates.html
    The mounting deficit is a terrible problem. Fortunately, it's a readily solvable one. A little payroll tax hike here, taxing inheritances and income there, cut a little military spending here and some entitlement spending there; and suddenly you're running a budget surplus.

Presuming there were the political will.
  7. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 20:13

You guys are weird.
    A thread about WHAT ????
    Who's weird ?? 😲
  8. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 20:141 edit
    My thread was about fishing, not fisting. I did it to get away from the partisan squabbling that's invaded the debates section, and if you'd bothered to read the links I've posted on the debt, you would have seen this is everyone's problem.

Still think it's "weird??"
    There is a thread on the list about fisting. Now you're talking about mounting wall street, presumably from behind.

You're weird.

And yes I was being facetious. C'mon man.
  9. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 20:17
    Originally posted by @vivify

A ...[text shortened]... joke). Legislation needs to be passed ensuring that debt is reduced each and every single year.
    The GOP has more important issues to focus on.
    Roe vs Wade for example.

The debt can wait. 🙄
  10. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 20:19
    Originally posted by @sh76
    The mounting deficit is a terrible problem. Fortunately, it's a readily solvable one. A little payroll tax hike here, taxing inheritances and income there, cut a little military spending here and some entitlement spending there; and suddenly you're running a budget surplus.

Presuming there were the political will.
    Bill Clinton ran a surplus.
    And he even had time to play. 😀
  11. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 20:22
    There is a thread on the list about fisting. Now you're talking about mounting wall street, presumably from behind.

You're weird.

And yes I was being factious. C'mon man.
    Humor seems to mostly fall on deaf ears around here.
  12. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 20:22
    Originally posted by @mghrn55
    The GOP has more important issues to focus on.
    Roe vs Wade for example.

The debt can wait. 🙄
    The only people worrying about Roe v Wade are the snowflake Liberals -- all of whom are throwing a meltdown temper tantrum. If Roe v Wade is settled law and popular with the country, why are the Liberals flailing their arms and going insane?
  13. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 20:24
    Originally posted by @mghrn55
    The debt can wait. 🙄
    Now you sound like the last several presidents.
  14. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 20:26
    The only people worrying about Roe v Wade are the snowflake Liberals -- all of whom are throwing a meltdown temper tantrum. If Roe v Wade is settled law and popular with the country, why are the Liberals flailing their arms and going insane?
    The GOP have been flailing their arms over this for decades.

Now that SCOTUS has tilted in their favor, the flailing has stopped at their end.
  15. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    12 Jul '18 20:27
    Now you sound like the last several presidents.
    I'm Canadian.
    We want the Stanley Cup back. 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree