A One-Party System

A One-Party System

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

g

Pepperland

Moves
18 Jun 09

Originally posted by scherzo
I'm saying, you have no right to call a country's elections undemocratic when they're democratic.

And Russia under Stalin was no more repressive than the US under Bush.
And Russia under Stalin was no more repressive than the US under Bush.

Another stupid statement, jesus, I thought you were better than this.

When did Bush send political opponents to labor camps?

During Stalin's rule the following ethnic groups were deported completely or partially: Ukrainians, Poles, Koreans, Volga Germans, Crimean Tatars, Kalmyks, Chechens, Ingush, Balkars, Karachays, Meskhetian Turks, Finns, Bulgarians, Greeks, Latvians, Lithuanians, Estonians, and Jews. Large numbers of Kulaks, regardless of their nationality, were resettled to Siberia and Central Asia. Deportations took place in appalling conditions, often by cattle truck, and hundreds of thousands of deportees died en route.Those who survived were forced to work without pay in the labour camps. Many of the deportees died of hunger or other conditions. Now, when did Bush do something similar?

s

At the Revolution

Moves
18 Jun 09

Originally posted by generalissimo
[b]And Russia under Stalin was no more repressive than the US under Bush.

During Stalin's rule the following ethnic groups were deported completely or partially: Ukrainians, Poles, Koreans, Volga Germans, Crimean Tat ...[text shortened]... y of the deportees died of hunger or other conditions. Now, when did Bush do something similar?[/b]

He sent them to torture camps. Which is worse. Because you can't do anything good in a torture camp. At least you'd benefit society if you worked in a labor camp.

During Stalin's rule the following ethnic groups were deported completely or partially: Ukrainians, Poles, Koreans, Volga Germans, Crimean Tatars, Kalmyks, Chechens, Ingush, Balkars, Karachays, Meskhetian Turks, Finns, Bulgarians, Greeks, Latvians, Lithuanians, Estonians, and Jews. Large numbers of Kulaks, regardless of their nationality, were resettled to Siberia and Central Asia. Deportations took place in appalling conditions, often by cattle truck, and hundreds of thousands of deportees died en route.Those who survived were forced to work without pay in the labour camps. Many of the deportees died of hunger or other conditions. Now, when did Bush do something similar?

Now, first of all, I assume you know about the time that Paul Robeson traveled to the USSR. Which makes that whole paragraph a pack of lies.

Bush has tried to wipe out many ethnic and religious groups. And he did not succeed because of numbers.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
18 Jun 09

[b]And Russia under Stalin was no more repressive than the US under Bush.

During Stalin's rule the following ethnic groups were deported completely or partially: Ukrainians, Poles, Koreans, Volga Germans, Crimean Tat ...[text shortened]... y of the deportees died of hunger or other conditions. Now, when did Bush do something similar?[/b]
Why are you bothering to argue against a clearly irrational argument? He's probably just maintaining that ridiculous position to get under your skin.

If he says that the Earth is flat, would you bang your head against the wall arguing with him that the Earth is round (okay, oblate spherical)?

s

At the Revolution

Moves
18 Jun 09

Originally posted by sh76
Why are you bothering to argue against a clearly irrational argument? He's probably just maintaining that ridiculous position to get under your skin.

If he says that the Earth is flat, would you bang your head against the wall arguing with him that the Earth is round (okay, oblate spherical)?
I'm arguing a position brought about by desperation.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
18 Jun 09

Well, it's unfortunate that you feel desperate; but seriously, Bush to Stalin?

Seriously?*

* That question is rhetorical. Regardless of the response, I will not dignify that comparison with further analysis.

T

Moves
18 Jun 09

Now, first of all, I assume you know about the time that Paul Robeson traveled to the USSR. Which makes that whole paragraph a pack of lies.

Paul Robeson, like many other visitors to the Soviet Union in the 1930s (eg, George Bernard Shaw), saw what the Soviet authorities wished him to see. The deportation of ethnic minorities in the USSR is a historical fact testified to by an overwhelming body of evidence.

It should be acknowledged, incidentally, that these deportations were not motivated by racism, but to dilute or eradicate nationalist opposition to Communist rule. Thus, after the occupation of the Baltic States, Latvians, Lithuanians and Estonians were removed to labour camps, and Russians transferred to the newly incorporated Baltic Republics, in order to shift the ethnic balance of those regions towards those who would support Soviet rule. The fact that the motivation was political rather than racial doesn't, I feel, make the act of deportation any less wicked.

g

Pepperland

Moves
19 Jun 09

it sounds more like a position brought by brainwashing.

F

Moves
19 Jun 09

Well, it's unfortunate that you feel desperate; but seriously, Bush to Stalin?
He's clearly got under your skin enough to make you post. Generalissimo doesn't surprise me. But you sh76?

g

Pepperland

Moves
19 Jun 09
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
He's clearly got under your skin enough to make you post. Generalissimo doesn't surprise me. But you sh76?
You think its wrong to question scherzo about his stupid ideas?

F

Moves
19 Jun 09

You think its wrong to question scherzo about his stupid ideas?
I think you could use private messages to discuss his idea that Bush was more repressive than Stalin with him. Your questioning sounds every bit as stupid as his thesis. No offence intended.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
19 Jun 09

Originally posted by FMF
Guilty as charged.

I got suckered into responding to something I should not have touched.

Mea culpa.

g

Pepperland

Moves
19 Jun 09

Originally posted by FMF
I think you could use private messages to discuss his idea that Bush was more repressive than Stalin with him. Your questioning sounds every bit as stupid as his thesis. No offence intended.
Scherzo put me on the ignore list.

I disagree, how is it as stupid as comparing bush to stalin?
I mentioned one example of stalin's repressive methods and asked scherzo whether bush had ever done something similar.

F

Moves
19 Jun 09

I mentioned one example of stalin's repressive methods and asked scherzo whether bush had ever done something similar.
Good grief. You just don't get it, do you!

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
19 Jun 09

Scherzo put me on the ignore list.

The point is that by responding to it, we implicitly validate the comparison. The best way to deal with absurd comparisons is to ignore them.

g

Pepperland

Moves
19 Jun 09

The point is that by responding to it, we implicitly validate the comparison. The best way to deal with absurd comparisons is to ignore them.
Ok, lets just ignore scherzo.

that won't make him shut up though.