1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 13:01
    We have been inundated with sexual assault case after sexual assault case of the uber rich, yet none of them go to jail.

Is this evidence that the American legal system is devoid of justice once ones bank account reaches a certain level of wealth?
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 13:37
    Originally posted by @whodey
    We have been inundated with sexual assault case after sexual assault case of the uber rich, yet none of them go to jail.

Is this evidence that the American legal system is devoid of justice once ones bank account reaches a certain level of wealth?
    It's much worse than that; in this parody of a country you live in you can exhibit that kind of behaviour and even become president 😲
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 14:39
    The entire U.S. legal system needs to be revamped.

We need a system where there are no lawyers or prosecutors, but a neutral, qualified team of people examining any arguments/evidence for or against a defendant.

Juries need to be made of people with legal expertise; paid jurors who are also selected at random, and hidden from the public until after the trial. And just like with politicians, there should be a public record of their votes, and a written statement after each case of why they voted as they did.

This would eliminate rich slime getting off the hook.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 14:53
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    It's much worse than that; in this parody of a country you live in you can exhibit that kind of behaviour and even become president 😲
    As hard as it is to believe, the bar is sooooo low that all Trump has to do is not start a war and improve the economy and he will become the best President in the last 2 decades! 😲
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 14:551 edit
    Originally posted by @vivify

We need a system where there are no lawyers or prosecutors, but a neutral, qualified team of people examining any arguments/evidence for or against a defendant.

Juries need to be made of people with legal expertise; paid jurors who are also selected at random, and hidden from the public until after ...[text shortened]... h case of why they voted as they did.

Legal reform?

I doubt a bunch of lawyers will do that. I think they like the money they get as their rich client pays them millions of dollars to pay a woman who has been victimized thousands of dollars for her trouble so that she will just go away.

That way everyone is happy..............till they strike again, and again, and again.........

Although a world without lawyers would be glorious and perhaps save mankind, it will never happen since they are in charge..
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 15:03

Juries need to be made of people with legal expertise; paid jurors who are also selected at random, and hidden from the public until after ...[text shortened]... h case of why they voted as they did.

Denying people representation at a trial, forcing the decision make to explain unpopular decisions and keeping statistics on the results would likely increase claims of bias. At least in our current system, everyone has the opportunity to present their own explanation and the decision maker can truthfully say that they decided this case to the best of their ability.
  7. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 15:05
    Has any of these cases been to court yet?
    Surely we’re not judging people on what twitterers are saying!
  8. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 17:282 edits

Whodey, you could also ask why all those conservative multi millionaire bankers never went to jail for allowing their institutions to peddle their toxic mortgages to anyone with a pulse which crashed the housing market and the economy in 2007 and 2008. If it's perfect justice you're looking for, you're not going to find it on this planet, so buckle up little buttercup, it is, what it is! 😲
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 18:061 edit

And, of course, allow them all to be bought? Is this the system you recommend? The pool of qualified people for your juries would soon be known. Plus, a jury pool like that would probably all be wealthier than the average American. That's all we need, another class of 'elites' in this country deciding the fate of all of us lesser 'scum'.
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 18:07
    Originally posted by @quackquack
    Denying people representation at a trial, forcing the decision make to explain unpopular decisions and keeping statistics on the results would likely increase claims of bias. At least in our current system, everyone has the opportunity to present their own explanation and the decision maker can truthfully say that they decided this case to the best of their ability.
    Agreed. When I mentioned a "team", that could include someone assigned to the defendant, chosen by the courts. And as part of the "team" I mentioned, that representative would work with both the defendant and court to uncover the truth.

Police investigators already do something similar, and investigating the claims of the defendant during the interrogation process. The investigators don't assume guilt or innocence, but simply see if the story checks out.
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 18:08
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    And, of course, allow them all to be bought? Is this the system you recommend? The pool of qualified people for your juries would soon be known. Plus, a jury pool like that would probably all be wealthier than the average American. That's all we need, another class of 'elites' in this country deciding the fate of all of us lesser 'scum'.
    I mentioned that jury would be randomly selected, with their identities protected until the end of the case, just like current juries. You can't pay off people you don't even know are on your jury.
  12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 18:111 edit
    The point of my suggestion is to remove the power of a defendant's financial standing. If anyone doesn't like the details of my suggestion, fine; put forth your own ideas of how to prevent rich people from buying their way out of justice being served. It's pretty damn easy to criticize ideas when you've put none of your own to be scrutinized.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 18:11
    Legal reform?

I doubt a bunch of lawyers will do that. I think they like the money they get as their rich client pays them millions of dollars to pay a woman who has been victimized thousands of dollars for her trouble so that she will just go away.

That way everyone is happy..............till they strike again, and again, and again.........

Althou ...[text shortened]... yers would be glorious and perhaps save mankind, it will never happen since they are in charge..
    Again, I have to summon Frank Zappa for this one:

"Is that real, actual reform, or is that Republican reform?"
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 18:14
    Agreed. When I mentioned a "team", that could include someone assigned to the defendant, chosen by the courts. And as part of the "team" I mentioned, that representative would work with both the defendant and court to uncover the truth.

Police investigators already do something similar, and investigating the claims of the defendant during the interroga ...[text shortened]... ess. The investigators don't assume guilt or innocence, but simply see if the story checks out.
    And you don't see a system where the stories of the wealthy always 'check out' but the stories of the 'little guy' never do?
  15. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 19:17
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Has any of these cases been to court yet?
    Surely we’re not judging people on what twitterers are saying!
    EXACTLY!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree