America the greatest nation on Earth ??

America the greatest nation on Earth ??

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Über-Nerd

Moves
20 Oct 20

@mghrn55 said
Why ???
Up for debate. Let's hear it from all sides.
Begin.
The principles under which it was conceived were and are the greatest, compared to every other nation which came before it: that that state alone is legitimate which governs with the consent of the governed; that consent shall be renewed regularly, peacefully, frequently, and orderly; that the state exists not by divine right to do God's will but is the servant of the people to do their will (but limited by a Constitution and a Bill of Rights); and that the state shall extend the protection of its laws to all equally without bias.

That America has not always implemented these principles consistently is a shame.

T

Moves
20 Oct 20

The post that was quoted here has been removed
"One ring to rule them all, one ring to bind them."

Good guess, no?

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
20 Oct 20

@earl-of-trumps said
Every household has a gun in Switzerland. Any violence problem there?
No because Switzerland is probably the greatest Nation on Earth!

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
20 Oct 20

@teinosuke said
"One ring to rule them all, one ring to bind them."

Good guess, no?
More like "You are unique in the world. You are unique"

Moves
20 Oct 20

@ponderable said
More like "You are unique in the world. You are unique"
Terminally unique.

D

Moves
20 Oct 20

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
20 Oct 20

Those who are neither familliar with kyrilic scripture nor with Russian can access a translation here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_anthem_of_Russia#Official_lyrics

Über-Nerd

Moves
20 Oct 20
1 edit

@ponderable said
Modesty is Switzerland's greatest virtue.

EDIT: Chocolate is a close second.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Oct 20

Anthems are designed to inspire patriotism to one's country. No surprise there.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Oct 20
1 edit

@moonbus said
The principles under which it was conceived were and are the greatest, compared to every other nation which came before it: that that state alone is legitimate which governs with the consent of the governed; that consent shall be renewed regularly, peacefully, frequently, and orderly; that the state exists not by divine right to do God's will but is the servant of the people ...[text shortened]... y without bias.

That America has not always implemented these principles consistently is a shame.
Well-rendered, well-said.

America is about the People, not the Person.

We're in this together, united. Selfishness is anathema and counter-productive.

Über-Nerd

Moves
20 Oct 20

@earl-of-trumps said
Every household has a gun in Switzerland. Any violence problem there?
Switzerland has no standing army; we have a citizen militia (there is, however, a full-time airforce as well as a marine-force as we share water-borders with three countries). For this reason, every male of serviceable age and capacity is required to maintain a weapon and be ready to serve in case of need. However, ammunition is stored in locked depots and distributed (by federal authority) only in time of need.

Guns don't kill people, bullets do. I don't care how many guns people have, so long as the bullets are controlled.

PS we have very little violent crime here because we teach children to resolve conflict by negotiation.

Über-Nerd

Moves
20 Oct 20

@suzianne said
Well-rendered, well-said.
I grew up in the JFK and LBJ years, I watched as MLK Jr. spoke of having a dream. After watching, for decades, America slide ever farther away from consistent implementation of its great founding principles, the failure to apply equal civil rights for all, the failure of the ERA to pass, etc., I voted with my feet and went looking for a place to live which better suits me. I found one. (Yeah, I know, good riddance.)

I have friends and family in America, so it still matters to me what goes on there. Also, 'when America sneezes, the world gets a cold.'--so it matters in other countries too how the world's showcase democracy handles crises. Right now, America has COVID with Caligula-on-steriods at the helm. Get well soon; you do still matter.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
20 Oct 20

@ponderable said
No it bloody isn’t.
It’s a throw-back to 1930’s Germany and should be sold to Russia to use as a graveyard!

Or... make your motorways free like the rest of us and I’ll admit Switzerland is gorgeous.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
20 Oct 20

@moonbus said
Switzerland has no standing army; we have a citizen militia (there is, however, a full-time airforce as well as a marine-force as we share water-borders with three countries). For this reason, every male of serviceable age and capacity is required to maintain a weapon and be ready to serve in case of need. However, ammunition is stored in locked depots and distributed (by fed ...[text shortened]... we have very little violent crime here because we teach children to resolve conflict by negotiation.
The famous water borders of Switzerland...

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
20 Oct 20

@shavixmir said
I don’t recall that ever being a Swiss law.

I’m sure soldiers were allowed to keep their guns at their homes. After serving? Don’t know.

And I’m also pretty certain Swiss law has banned various individuals and households from owning weapons.
I just booked up on it. It is a myth. I'd have to say it was a well spread myth for me to know of it.