America the greatest nation on Earth ??

America the greatest nation on Earth ??

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Oct 20

@moonbus said
I grew up in the JFK and LBJ years, I watched as MLK Jr. spoke of having a dream. After watching, for decades, America slide ever farther away from consistent implementation of its great founding principles, the failure to apply equal civil rights for all, the failure of the ERA to pass, etc., I voted with my feet and went looking for a place to live which better suits me. I ...[text shortened]... ht now, America has COVID with Caligula-on-steriods at the helm. Get well soon; you do still matter.
We'll be on the road to recovery starting Jan. 21, 2021.

I understand history. I know all about JFK and MLK, and even though I missed out on witnessing it, it's plainly obvious how great these people were, and the measure of devotion they gave to this country. I see the effects of this current administration every day, and my God, do I miss having a real president at the helm. I've seen firsthand how this administration has left the 'little guy' (read average American) behind, and how hopeless the most destitute Americans have become. I miss having an America we can be proud of. I can't wait to wave 'goodbye' to this nightmare 'baby-in-chief'.

Über-Nerd

Moves
20 Oct 20

@shavixmir said
The famous water borders of Switzerland...
Lake Constance 536 sq km, Lake Geneva 541 sq km, and Lake Maggiore 212 sq km (the longest lake in Italy, BTW).

Über-Nerd

Moves
20 Oct 20
2 edits

@suzianne said
We'll be on the road to recovery starting Jan. 21, 2021.

I understand history. I know all about JFK and MLK, and even though I missed out on witnessing it, it's plainly obvious how great these people were, and the measure of devotion they gave to this country. I see the effects of this current administration every day, and my God, do I miss having a real president at th ...[text shortened]... ng an America we can be proud of. I can't wait to wave 'goodbye' to this nightmare 'baby-in-chief'.
Unfortunately, a bad president can do more harm in 4 or 8 yrs than can be undone in the succeeding 4 or 8. George W. Bush, for example, started two wars; the last American military forces left Iraq in Dec 2011, the other is on-going.

America can do so much better than either Trump or Biden. The two-party system is broken. America must re-invent itself, get some younger people in instead of 70-yr-olds with massive vested interests in the status quo.

Über-Nerd

Moves
20 Oct 20
1 edit

@no1marauder said
Not true:

"The country has about 2 million privately owned guns in a nation of 8.3 million people."

https://www.businessinsider.com/switzerland-gun-laws-rates-of-gun-deaths-2018-2

By contrast:

""The United States has 270 million guns and had 90 mass shooters from 1966 to 2012."

https://www.axios.com/how-many-guns-in-the-us-90003c19-7c56-4ac4-97b1-f2f6beee5c5b.html
The essential thing is not the number of weapons in private hands, but rather the threshold for using them in anger. That threshold is very low in America, and very high in Switzerland. We resolve our conflicts here without guns. See the murder/homicide rate table for confirmation:

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/CHE/switzerland/murder-homicide-rate

Compare that with Trump's recent speech to Michigan and the roar of approval he gets from his supporters ("lock them up!" ). America needs collective anger management therapy.

Über-Nerd

Moves
20 Oct 20
1 edit

@shavixmir said
No it bloody isn’t.
It’s a throw-back to 1930’s Germany and should be sold to Russia to use as a graveyard!

Or... make your motorways free like the rest of us and I’ll admit Switzerland is gorgeous.
Motorways are not free anywhere. You pay road taxes, or petrol taxes, or at toll booths, or, as in Switzerland, a sticker on your windscreen -- or some combination.

Ya don't like it, on yer bike, Tebbitt !

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
20 Oct 20

@moonbus - America needs collective anger management therapy.

<smile> Ya think?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Oct 20

@moonbus said
Unfortunately, a bad president can do more harm in 4 or 8 yrs than can be undone in the succeeding 4 or 8. George W. Bush, for example, started two wars; the last American military forces left Iraq in Dec 2011, the other is on-going.

America can do so much better than either Trump or Biden. The two-party system is broken. America must re-invent itself, get some younger people in instead of 70-yr-olds with massive vested interests in the status quo.
We need to put out the forest fire before worrying about forest growth management. One step at a time. Better to have a president who believes in America, or we'll never get there.

No person in America is better placed to undo everything Trump has done. Biden knows how it worked before. If I were him, I'd appoint a "Recovery Czar" whose job it would be to make a list of everything Trump did in office and reverse it, much like he's done to Obama.

D

Moves
20 Oct 20
1 edit

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Oct 20

The post that was quoted here has been removed
I never knew this. Thanks for posting it.

D

Moves
20 Oct 20

@suzianne said
No person in America is better placed to undo everything Trump has done. Biden knows how it worked before. If I were him, I'd appoint a "Recovery Czar" whose job it would be to make a list of everything Trump did in office and reverse it, much like he's done to Obama.
"Undo everything Trump has done"?
WHAT has Trump done that you would like to see reversed?

D

Moves
21 Oct 20

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Oct 20

@dood111 said
Everything? I thought I said that in the post you quoted.

m

Moves
21 Oct 20
1 edit

@dood111 said
Became President through Russian interference ?

Nov 3rd.

D

Moves
21 Oct 20
1 edit

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
21 Oct 20

@moonbus said
Motorways are not free anywhere. You pay road taxes, or petrol taxes, or at toll booths, or, as in Switzerland, a sticker on your windscreen -- or some combination.

Ya don't like it, on yer bike, Tebbitt !
Fodder for Russia!

Take your clocks and yer smelly cheese and peddle them on the steps of the Kremlin, you cowbell wearing gremlin!