Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Oct '20 13:57
    @moonbus said
    I grew up in the JFK and LBJ years, I watched as MLK Jr. spoke of having a dream. After watching, for decades, America slide ever farther away from consistent implementation of its great founding principles, the failure to apply equal civil rights for all, the failure of the ERA to pass, etc., I voted with my feet and went looking for a place to live which better suits me. I ...[text shortened]... ht now, America has COVID with Caligula-on-steriods at the helm. Get well soon; you do still matter.
    We'll be on the road to recovery starting Jan. 21, 2021.

I understand history. I know all about JFK and MLK, and even though I missed out on witnessing it, it's plainly obvious how great these people were, and the measure of devotion they gave to this country. I see the effects of this current administration every day, and my God, do I miss having a real president at the helm. I've seen firsthand how this administration has left the 'little guy' (read average American) behind, and how hopeless the most destitute Americans have become. I miss having an America we can be proud of. I can't wait to wave 'goodbye' to this nightmare 'baby-in-chief'.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    20 Oct '20 14:39
    @shavixmir said
    The famous water borders of Switzerland...
    Lake Constance 536 sq km, Lake Geneva 541 sq km, and Lake Maggiore 212 sq km (the longest lake in Italy, BTW).
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    20 Oct '20 14:472 edits
    @suzianne said
    We'll be on the road to recovery starting Jan. 21, 2021.

I understand history. I know all about JFK and MLK, and even though I missed out on witnessing it, it's plainly obvious how great these people were, and the measure of devotion they gave to this country. I see the effects of this current administration every day, and my God, do I miss having a real president at th ...[text shortened]... ng an America we can be proud of. I can't wait to wave 'goodbye' to this nightmare 'baby-in-chief'.
    Unfortunately, a bad president can do more harm in 4 or 8 yrs than can be undone in the succeeding 4 or 8. George W. Bush, for example, started two wars; the last American military forces left Iraq in Dec 2011, the other is on-going.

America can do so much better than either Trump or Biden. The two-party system is broken. America must re-invent itself, get some younger people in instead of 70-yr-olds with massive vested interests in the status quo.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    20 Oct '20 15:191 edit
    @no1marauder said
    Not true:

"The country has about 2 million privately owned guns in a nation of 8.3 million people."

https://www.businessinsider.com/switzerland-gun-laws-rates-of-gun-deaths-2018-2

By contrast:

""The United States has 270 million guns and had 90 mass shooters from 1966 to 2012."

https://www.axios.com/how-many-guns-in-the-us-90003c19-7c56-4ac4-97b1-f2f6beee5c5b.html
    The essential thing is not the number of weapons in private hands, but rather the threshold for using them in anger. That threshold is very low in America, and very high in Switzerland. We resolve our conflicts here without guns. See the murder/homicide rate table for confirmation:

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/CHE/switzerland/murder-homicide-rate

Compare that with Trump's recent speech to Michigan and the roar of approval he gets from his supporters ("lock them up!" ). America needs collective anger management therapy.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    20 Oct '20 15:271 edit
    @shavixmir said
    No it bloody isn’t.
    It’s a throw-back to 1930’s Germany and should be sold to Russia to use as a graveyard!

Or... make your motorways free like the rest of us and I’ll admit Switzerland is gorgeous.
    Motorways are not free anywhere. You pay road taxes, or petrol taxes, or at toll booths, or, as in Switzerland, a sticker on your windscreen -- or some combination.

Ya don't like it, on yer bike, Tebbitt !
  6. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    20 Oct '20 16:43
    @moonbus - America needs collective anger management therapy.

<smile> Ya think?
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Oct '20 16:49
    @moonbus said
    Unfortunately, a bad president can do more harm in 4 or 8 yrs than can be undone in the succeeding 4 or 8. George W. Bush, for example, started two wars; the last American military forces left Iraq in Dec 2011, the other is on-going.

America can do so much better than either Trump or Biden. The two-party system is broken. America must re-invent itself, get some younger people in instead of 70-yr-olds with massive vested interests in the status quo.
    We need to put out the forest fire before worrying about forest growth management. One step at a time. Better to have a president who believes in America, or we'll never get there.

No person in America is better placed to undo everything Trump has done. Biden knows how it worked before. If I were him, I'd appoint a "Recovery Czar" whose job it would be to make a list of everything Trump did in office and reverse it, much like he's done to Obama.
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    20 Oct '20 18:121 edit
    @suzianne said
    Anthems are designed to inspire patriotism to one's country. No surprise there.
    Most national anthems are about a nation; some (e. g. 'God Save the Queen' ) are about its monarch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimigayo

""Kimigayo" (君が代, Japanese pronunciation: [kimiɡajo]; "His Imperial Majesty's Reign" )
    is the national anthem of Japan. The lyrics of "Kimigayo" are the oldest
    among the world's national anthems, and with a length of 32 characters,
    they are also the world's shortest. The lyrics are from a waka poem
    written by an unnamed author in the Heian period (794–1185),"

"Japan's national anthem is deemed the world's most controversial due
    to its post-war history.[43] Schools have been the center of controversy
    over both it and the national flag.[44] The Tokyo Board of Education
    requires the use of both "Kimigayo" and flag at events under their jurisdiction.
    The order requires school teachers to respect both symbols or risk losing their jobs.[45]
    In 1999, several teachers in Hiroshima refused to put up the anthem
    while the Hiroshima Education Board demanded that they do so.
    As the tension arose between them, a vice-principal committed suicide.
    A similar incident in Osaka in 2010 also occurred, with 32 teachers
    refusing to sing the song in a ceremony. In 2011, nine more teachers
    joined the rebellion, along with another eight in 2012.[46]
    Hashimoto Toru, the mayor of Osaka, slated the teachers as "[i]t was
    good that criminals [teachers] who are intent on breaking the rules
    [of not singing the state anthem] have risen to the surface [public]".[47]
    Some have protested that such rules violate the United Nations Universal
    Declaration of Human Rights and the "freedom of thought, belief and conscience"
    clause in the Constitution of Japan,[48] but the Board has argued
    that since schools are government agencies, their employees have an
    obligation to teach their students how to be good Japanese citizens.
    Teachers have unsuccessfully brought criminal complaints against
    Tokyo Governor Shintarō Ishihara and senior officials for ordering
    teachers to honor the Hinomaru and "Kimigayo".[49] After earlier
    opposition, the Japan Teachers Union accepts the use of both the flag
    and national anthem; the smaller All Japan Teachers and Staffs Union
    still opposes both symbols and their use inside the school system.[50]

In 2006, Katsuhisa Fujita, a retired teacher in Tokyo, was threatened
    with imprisonment and fined 200,000 yen (roughly 2,000 US dollars)
    after he was accused of disturbing a graduation ceremony at Itabashi
    High School by urging the attendees to remain seated during the
    playing of the national anthem."
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Oct '20 19:56
    @duchess64 said
    Most national anthems are about a nation; some (e. g. 'God Save the Queen' ) are about its monarch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimigayo

""Kimigayo" (君が代, Japanese pronunciation: [kimiɡajo]; "His Imperial Majesty's Reign" )
    is the national anthem of Japan. The lyrics of "Kimigayo" are the oldest
    among the world's national anthems, and with a length of 32 charact ...[text shortened]...
    High School by urging the attendees to remain seated during the
    playing of the national anthem."
    I never knew this. Thanks for posting it.
  10. Joined
    09 Jan '20
    Moves
    20 Oct '20 22:57
    @suzianne said
    No person in America is better placed to undo everything Trump has done. Biden knows how it worked before. If I were him, I'd appoint a "Recovery Czar" whose job it would be to make a list of everything Trump did in office and reverse it, much like he's done to Obama.
    "Undo everything Trump has done"?
    WHAT has Trump done that you would like to see reversed?
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    21 Oct '20 00:43
    @suzianne said
    Anthems are designed to inspire patriotism to one's country. No surprise there.
    My point was that most Americans like to believe that the USA is uniquely blessed by God.
    It's interesting that Russia's national anthem makes a similar claim.
    Одна ты на свете! Одна ты такая -
    Хранимая Богом родная земля!

Gott mit uns!
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Oct '20 00:44
    @dood111 said
    Everything? I thought I said that in the post you quoted.
  13. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    21 Oct '20 01:081 edit
    @dood111 said
    Became President through Russian interference ?

Nov 3rd.
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    21 Oct '20 02:061 edit
    @duchess64 said
    My point was that most Americans like to believe that the USA is uniquely blessed by God.
    It's interesting that Russia's national anthem makes a similar claim.
    Одна ты на свете! Одна ты такая -
    Хранимая Богом родная земля!

Gott mit uns!
    From the Guardian
    "Angels and artillery: a cathedral to Russia's new national identity.
    Cathedral of the Armed Forces blends militarism, patriotism and Orthodox Christianity to controversial effect."

"We are not talking about the geopolitical background at any particular time, we are talking about the fact that our armed forces have sacred help from above, from God and from the heavenly saints. That’s what the cathedral is about.”"
  15. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    21 Oct '20 03:32
    @moonbus said
    Motorways are not free anywhere. You pay road taxes, or petrol taxes, or at toll booths, or, as in Switzerland, a sticker on your windscreen -- or some combination.

Ya don't like it, on yer bike, Tebbitt !
    Fodder for Russia!

Take your clocks and yer smelly cheese and peddle them on the steps of the Kremlin, you cowbell wearing gremlin!