1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    29 May '10 13:02
    http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/worlds-best-places-to-live

Despite all the recent press about it's financial ills, many cities in Europe rank among the very best in the world in quality of life. Quality of education, clean enviornment, healthcare, transportation, education and other factors, while American cities continue to slip down in all these areas. Despite insistence from Americas beloved right wing that citizens who own lots of guns are automatically safer, American cities and towns are actually less safe than many of those who have very strict gun laws.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 May '10 14:31
    Originally posted by bill718
    http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/worlds-best-places-to-live

Despite all the recent press about it's financial ills, many cities in Europe rank among the very best in the world in quality of life. Quality of education, clean enviornment, healthcare, transportation, education and other factors, while American cities continue to slip down in all these areas ...[text shortened]... rican cities and towns are actually less safe than many of those who have very strict gun laws.
    The decline of America has nothing to do with it's gun laws.
  3. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    30 May '10 11:34
    Apparently you haven't closely read the article. Your title "American cities slipping in quality of life" doesn't jive with the article's mention that cities in the continental US have shown up on the list for the first time. See below:

"and the continental U.S. makes its first appearance on the list at 32, with San Francisco tying Adelaide, Australia. Boston came in at No. 37, Chicago and Washington, D.C. tied for 45th place, and New York ranked 49. Philadelphia and Dallas were ranked for the first time this year, landing spots 55 and 61 on the list, respectively."

This seems to suggest improvement not slippage unless I'm reading it incorrectly.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '10 13:29
    It's amusing, the article mentions how unsafe the US is because of gun availability then mentions in the same sentence how safe Switzerland is by comparison. Apparently the author wasn't aware of Swiss gun laws.
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    30 May '10 14:191 edit
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    It's amusing, the article mentions how unsafe the US is because of gun availability then mentions in the same sentence how safe Switzerland is by comparison. Apparently the author wasn't aware of Swiss gun laws.
    Yup, I always feel super safe when in Switzerland. Maybe it has something to do with the armed guards at the border toting assault rifles?

"Yes sir, here is my passport and you can rest assured I will behave while inside your borders."
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '10 14:40
    Originally posted by Ullr
    Yup, I always feel super safe when in Switzerland. Maybe it has something to do with the armed guards at the border toting assault rifles?

"Yes sir, here is my passport and you can rest assured I will behave while inside your borders."
    Funny how europeans criticize Arizona for having the nerve to want their border secured isn't it?.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    30 May '10 14:46
    Originally posted by Ullr

Switzerland is in the Schengen Area these days.

I don't think gun laws have a large impact on violent crime, at least when compared to income inequality.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree