Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    18 Jun '10 14:11
    http://www.economist.com/node/16396576?story_id=16396576&source=features_box4
  2. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    18 Jun '10 16:16
    Originally posted by Palynka
    http://www.economist.com/node/16396576?story_id=16396576&source=features_box4
    If only France had as good a football team as ... (is he going to say it? Yes he is!)

    THE UNITED STATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  3. 18 Jun '10 17:02
    The graph was interesting, 40% of Mexicans have a poor opinion of the United States, the other 60% are trying to move to the United States.
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Jun '10 17:06
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    The graph was interesting, 40% of Mexicans have a poor opinion of the United States, the other 60% are trying to move to the United States.
    More like the 40% with the negative opinion have their negative opinion because they were unable to get in.
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Jun '10 17:15 / 2 edits
    http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1630/obama-more-popular-abroad-global-american-image-benefit-22-nation-global-survey

    Observations:

    Pakistan-China: The enemy of my enemy is my friend

    I guess the South Koreans don't mind our bases too much

    Turkey-US: I wonder if these polls were taken after the flotilla incident. If so, you'll see them regress toward the mean in a few months

    Obamamania may have weakened a bit; but is still pretty strong in most of the World

    Support for suicide bombing down across the board... that's good. 74% of Lebenese supported suicide bombing in 2002? Yikes! 34% of Nigerians still do???

    More Indians and Pakistanis support military action against Iran to stop them from building nukes than support sanctions. Interesting. I guess at least some people understand exactly how effective sanctions will be.

    Americans are no more isolationist than Europeans. Asked whether their country should deal with its own problems and let others take care of themselves, 46% of Americans agree, as do 44% of Germans and 49% of British. The French are the most isolationist; 65% oppose helping other nations cope with their challenges.

    Hmmm.
  6. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    19 Jun '10 02:42
    Originally posted by Palynka
    http://www.economist.com/node/16396576?story_id=16396576&source=features_box4
    Well...there are anti French sentiment in America as well, what's your point?
  7. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    19 Jun '10 08:51
    Originally posted by bill718
    Well...there are anti French sentiment in America as well, what's your point?
    Someone didn't look at the link...
  8. 19 Jun '10 09:23
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1630/obama-more-popular-abroad-global-american-image-benefit-22-nation-global-survey

    Observations:

    Pakistan-China: The enemy of my enemy is my friend

    I guess the South Koreans don't mind our bases too much

    Turkey-US: I wonder if these polls were taken after the flotilla incident. If so, you'll see them regress toward the ...[text shortened]... most isolationist; 65% oppose helping other nations cope with their challenges.[/i]

    Hmmm.
    Also something to note: Kenyans are more positive about the U.S. than Americans themselves!
  9. 19 Jun '10 10:21 / 1 edit
    It would appear that Kenyans like everyone.

    (On a sample of 2, admittedly)
  10. 19 Jun '10 11:42
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Also something to note: Kenyans are more positive about the U.S. than Americans themselves!
    They are very proud that the president of the US is a Kenyan.
  11. 19 Jun '10 12:31 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    They are very proud that the president of the US is a Kenyan.
    If you look at the link you'll see that the impact of Obama's ancestry is minor at best (at least as far as Kenya is concerned).
  12. 19 Jun '10 15:24
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    If you look at the link you'll see that the impact of Obama's ancestry is minor at best (at least as far as Kenya is concerned).
    Really? I didn't get that at all. What the link said was:

    "KENYANS, it seems, are enthralled in equal measure by America and China, a finding from the Pew Research Centre's Global Attitudes Survey that may reflect Barack Obama's Kenyan ancestry"
  13. 19 Jun '10 19:24
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    They are very proud that the president of the US is a Kenyan.
    understandble, but then what explains their favorable view of china?
  14. 19 Jun '10 20:24
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    understandble, but then what explains their favorable view of china?
    Chinese foreign aid and engineering exported to Africa?
  15. 19 Jun '10 20:24
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    If only France had as good a football team as ... (is he going to say it? Yes he is!)

    THE UNITED STATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    oh, no you didn't!