1. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    21 Jun '10 02:57
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Do you have a place you can point to where this is working? I think that men who rape don't care about the judicial system. In some places, they're taught as they're growing up that men are in charge, and so they don't really seem to believe or care that rape is rape or that it's wrong. My understanding is that in South Africa (or someplace in Africa) ...[text shortened]... ure AIDS, and so many girls and infants are raped. The judicial system won't change that.
    A side note, in prison rapist and child molesters are basically lepers and targets of assault and/or murder. Think about it. Even among murderers, car jackers, drug dealers, muggers and burglars they're considered scum.
  2. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    21 Jun '10 04:19
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/06/20/south.africa.female.condom/index.html?hpt=C2

My only problem with this, although it might prevent penetration, is the rapist may resort to violent revenge. What do you think?
    I suppose its assumed that the rapist is in such a rush to get there he's not going to do much investigating. Apart from the violence in terms of bodily blows that would then ensue-rapist discovers presence of anti-rape device- what if sicko decides he'll inflict some additional trauma commensurate to what he might have endured had he not discovered the presence of the device.

Its one of those things you would think in the long run poses more of a risk for someone caught wearing it than any advantage it might offer. And lets not forget, for the device to work, the woman still has to be subjected to being forcibly penetrated, so while she may have the satisfaction that the rapist will get some immediate payback, it never will protect her against being physically violated. Given that the man can still leave, albeit with his member trapped by the device, how long before any would be rapist finds out how to have one removed and then simply chalks up the possibility of being trapped as an 'occupational hazard' . It doesnt break the skin and it only hurts when you try and remove it, which suggests that a rapist who may be into S&M anyway may not instantly withdraw once he discovers he's been entrapped by the device.

So not only does this device not prevent a woman being violated, the violation may not stop once the rapist discovers he is entrapped. On the other hand a rapist aware that these devices might be in play may adjust his M.O to include an all clear check before he does his evil.

If a woman were to consider all these additional risks, what is the upside to wearing this.

Given that the male of the species is not the only one known for unspeakable crime, what if women decide to arm themselves with these devices as a means of exacting punishment on men they no longer have time for.

Couple breaks up, man or woman makes conciliatory gesture that leads what seems spontaneously to an episode of great make-up sex, until male is rudely shocked to find that female had no desire to makeup with him, but only used make-up as a pretext to publicly shame and humiliate him.

What might seem a great idea, might yet prove to cause a great deal more misery than it ostensibly was designed to prevent.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jun '10 04:53
    Originally posted by kmax87
    I suppose its assumed that the rapist is in such a rush to get there he's not going to do much investigating. Apart from the violence in terms of bodily blows that would then ensue-rapist discovers presence of anti-rape device- what if sicko decides he'll inflict some additional trauma commensurate to what he might have endured had he not discovered the prese ...[text shortened]... ght yet prove to cause a great deal more misery than it ostensibly was designed to prevent.
    If that last scenario were to happen, she might be in a bit of legal trouble herself, she would have to yell rape but it might be hard to prove having been with a long time boyfriend. But you hear cases like the Bobbit story, how many of those happen?
    I think this would be such a minority as to be one or two cases like that. The real deal should be more intimidating against real rapists, with some kind of painful toxin that would inhibit the rapist from further violence. If all he can think about is the pain in his member, the girl would have a chance to run away, call cops, whatever.
  4. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    21 Jun '10 05:05
    If that last scenario were to happen, she might be in a bit of legal trouble herself, she would have to yell rape but it might be hard to prove having been with a long time boyfriend. But you hear cases like the Bobbit story, how many of those happen?
    I think this would be such a minority as to be one or two cases like that. The real deal should be more in ...[text shortened]... about is the pain in his member, the girl would have a chance to run away, call cops, whatever.
    If we are to assume that rapists never think straight and are driven by emotions beyond their control, then one would hope that the prospect of pain might make them think twice. But what if they are devious and calculating and shrewd and they bother to take a couple of seconds to investigate if an anti rape device is in place?

The other thing is it does'nt stop rape. The woman will still be violated and as some groups suggest the woman will be driven into the shadows as fear of rape by her assent to wear the device may then be enslaved by prospect of the ever present danger of rape.

The alternative to this scenario of course is that while the risk of rape may not diminish, by wearing this device, women may in fact be placebo'd into living as normal an existence as is possible, as if rape were no longer an issue for them. Its a bit like living in faith and having hope. It may never change the ultimate reality, but while you are alive at least you were liberated from all the possible debilitating fears that could cripple you and as a result of that confidence, you lead a happier and more productive life.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Jun '10 06:44
    The real deal should be more intimidating against real rapists, with some kind of painful toxin that would inhibit the rapist from further violence.
    Any form of poison would make the device unusable:
    1. There is a risk of the girl getting poisoned. (sticking a finger in, or other causes).
    This would make the device banned on safety reasons.
    2. There would be a risk of the rapist suing the girl for grievous bodily harm. It sounds silly, but a good lawyer might pull it off.
    3. I bet some women will use these on their husbands when they suspect them of cheating on them, and poison could again lead to serious court cases.
  6. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Jun '10 08:32
    The real deal should be more intimidating against real rapists, with some kind of painful toxin that would inhibit the rapist from further violence. If all he can think about is the pain in his member, the girl would have a chance to run away, call cops, whatever.
    I'm not quite sure how many toxins you can find that work quick enough to completely incapacitate someone, maybe there are but I'm no expert on that. It would also seem unlikely that such fast acting toxins could be sold over the counter. Such toxins would, as said before, also pose a risk to the women wearing this if the device was somehow damaged.

On top of that there is still the possibility (though less likely) of gang rape, in which case incapacitating one assailant and infuriating the rest isn't going to do much good.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Jun '10 10:44
    Does anyone have any stats on rape? I have seen reports that in SA up to 30% of males admit to committing rape - but then I don't know what definition was used in the survey.
    What I am most interested in is what percentage of rape is by someone the victim knew, and possibly more important - someone the victim trusted.
  8. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    21 Jun '10 11:38
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    2. There would be a risk of the rapist suing the girl for grievous bodily harm. It sounds silly, but a good lawyer might pull it off.
    This will almost certainly be the case (and I don't think the lawyer will need to be that good).

It is like a burglar climbing over a wall to get injured by spikes that is put on top with the intention to deter people. That burglar can successfully sue (in the UK anyway). Not that I agree with the law on this one.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Jun '10 12:531 edit
    Originally posted by Barts
    I'm not quite sure how many toxins you can find that work quick enough to completely incapacitate someone, maybe there are but I'm no expert on that. It would also seem unlikely that such fast acting toxins could be sold over the counter. Such toxins would, as said before, also pose a risk to the women wearing this if the device was somehow damaged.

On top ...[text shortened]... which case incapacitating one assailant and infuriating the rest isn't going to do much good.
    Ricin is a quite good toxin. Works instantaneously.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4441241.stm
    http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Notorious-Umbrella-Assassination-of-Georgi-Markov-Upon-Further-Investigation
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    21 Jun '10 14:41
    Originally posted by lausey
    This will almost certainly be the case (and I don't think the lawyer will need to be that good).

It is like a burglar climbing over a wall to get injured by spikes that is put on top with the intention to deter people. That burglar can successfully sue (in the UK anyway). Not that I agree with the law on this one.
    A burglar can only successfully sue if deadly force is used to prevent a non-deadly burglary (classic example in the US was Katco v. Briney where a farmer set up a gun trap in his barn). As rape is considered deadly force, using deadly force is allowed to prevent it.
  11. Pepperland
    Moves
    21 Jun '10 18:15
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Do you have a place you can point to where this is working? I think that men who rape don't care about the judicial system. In some places, they're taught as they're growing up that men are in charge, and so they don't really seem to believe or care that rape is rape or that it's wrong. My understanding is that in South Africa (or someplace in Africa) ...[text shortened]... ure AIDS, and so many girls and infants are raped. The judicial system won't change that.
    Obviously they don't care about the judicial system, but I assume the situation would be improved if they at least knew what would happen if they committed such act. The fact they know they're probably going to get away with rape only encourages them to carry on their deeds.

indeed that is a very good point, there is a problem in the culture, which can't be fixed solely by reform in the judicial system. I believe education would be the solution to this problem, but even then I don't really know why anyone would think rape is ok (even if men are in charge), it totally contradicts reason and morality, Im not an expert on the causes of such way of thinking but surely education would be useful in enlightning these people.

My understanding is that in South Africa (or someplace in Africa), men are taught that sex with a virgin will cure AIDS, and so many girls and infants are raped. The judicial system won't change that.
    again, education would be the solution for that.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 Jun '10 19:42
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    My understanding is that in South Africa (or someplace in Africa), men are taught that sex with a virgin will cure AIDS, and so many girls and infants are raped.
    We can thank the UK for introducing that meme (virgin cure) to South Africa.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Jun '10 05:01
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Notorious-Umbrella-Assassination-of-Georgi-Markov-Upon-Further-Investigation
    Like he said, it might off one monster, but if they are in a rabid pack.....
  14. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Jun '10 11:14
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

There may be toxins that fit the bill, but this one doesn't.

"He experienced a sudden stinging pain in the back of his right leg, but despite pain continued on his way to work. "

That doesn't sound like it will incapacitate an assailant fast enough.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Jun '10 17:40
    Originally posted by Barts
    There may be toxins that fit the bill, but this one doesn't.

"He experienced a sudden stinging pain in the back of his right leg, but despite pain continued on his way to work. "

That doesn't sound like it will incapacitate an assailant fast enough.
    How bout putting in a miniature stun gun mechanism? It would fit inside the condom and the stinger teeth would hold on while the stun gun would deliver its little message, and protecting the lady because the condom is an insulator. Now THAT would get his immediate attention, he would naturally pull out taking the whole device with him and couldn't think of ANYTHING I would imagine🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree