1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    04 Feb '13 17:22
    Sandy Hook elementary school chorus accompanied Jennifer Hudson is singing God Bless America at the Super Bowl pregame. I personally found it in bad form, and wonder how some of the kids felt, and how they will reflect on the experience down the road.
  2. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    04 Feb '13 18:34
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Sandy Hook elementary school chorus accompanied Jennifer Hudson is singing God Bless America at the Super Bowl pregame. I personally found it in bad form, and wonder how some of the kids felt, and how they will reflect on the experience down the road.
    I think people get "offended" far too often.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    04 Feb '13 18:36
    Originally posted by bill718
    I generally agree with that. Some things are genuinely offensive.
  4. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    04 Feb '13 18:42
    Originally posted by bill718
    Do you? Liberals are professionally offended. Just like Brooke Shields was a professional virgin, you guys are professionally offended.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Feb '13 18:57
    If your concern is dependent on how they will feel down the road, that would argue for waiting a while before deciding what to think. However maybe there are historic parallels?

One thing I believe is that the parents of those children and the school counselors who are helping them heal, must have had a role in deliberating on and approving the activity. Freedom loving people defer generally to the parents in decisions regarding their children's well being, so why not here?
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    04 Feb '13 19:061 edit
    It is not clear to me what bothers you. Could you elaborate?
  7. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    04 Feb '13 20:41
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Do you? Liberals are professionally offended. Just like Brooke Shields was a professional virgin, you guys are professionally offended.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "professionally offended"
  8. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    04 Feb '13 20:45
    Some people just wake up in the morning waiting to be offended.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Feb '13 21:09
    Presumably all the children had parental consent and were not press-ganged
    into it? I didn't see it ... was it controversial in some way?
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    04 Feb '13 21:23
    Not really. I don't think children are quite as fragile as we think. I don't think that appearing at the Super Bowl (even perhaps being used a little) is going to cause them much in the way of emotional damage.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Feb '13 21:27
    Originally posted by sh76
    Not really. I don't think children are quite as fragile as we think. I don't think that appearing at the Super Bowl (even perhaps being used a little) is going to cause them much in the way of emotional damage.
    I think I heard Sandusky say that once
  12. Germany
    Moves
    04 Feb '13 22:03
    I have to agree. Aren't public schools supposed to be secular?

Seriously though, why are people "offended" by everything these days?
  13. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    05 Feb '13 00:07
    Cant say I am offended but if one of the children were mine I most definitely would be!!!! I am plumb disgusted at the whole spectacle!!!!!
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    05 Feb '13 19:51
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Cant say I am offended but if one of the children were mine I most definitely would be!!!! I am plumb disgusted at the whole spectacle!!!!!
    It will go on their resume for life.
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 01:36
    Originally posted by JS357
    If your concern is dependent on how they will feel down the road, that would argue for waiting a while before deciding what to think. However maybe there are historic parallels?

One thing I believe is that the parents of those children and the school counselors who are helping them heal, must have had a role in deliberating on and approving the activity. Fr ...[text shortened]... r generally to the parents in decisions regarding their children's well being, so why not here?
    Good argument pro.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree