1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 01:43
    Originally posted by quackquack
    It is not clear to me what bothers you. Could you elaborate?
    This group was not chose for their superior musical skills. They were chosen because 20 of their mates, and 6 teachers died tragically a short while ago.

At some point how many will ask their parents "Why were we chosen?"

It is the same thing when kids or even adults are used as stage props by Presidents (of both Parties) at inaugurations, and State of the Union addresses, and campaign events.

The parents had every right to say yes, but I would not have. And I can see that there may be rationales for an opposite view.
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 01:46
    Originally posted by sh76
    Not really. I don't think children are quite as fragile as we think. I don't think that appearing at the Super Bowl (even perhaps being used a little) is going to cause them much in the way of emotional damage.
    You may well be right. I agree that children have to be more durable than we often give them credit for being. I simply had a discomfort of them being used in that manner. If there are any ill effects, it will be far down the road, and the Super Bowl event long forgotten.
  3. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    13 Mar '13 09:36
    Originally posted by normbenign
    This group was not chose for their superior musical skills. They were chosen because 20 of their mates, and 6 teachers died tragically a short while ago.

It is the same thing when kids or even adults are used as stage props by Presidents (of both Parties) at inaugurations, and Sta ...[text shortened]... ay yes, but I would not have. And I can see that there may be rationales for an opposite view.
    You are a heartless, soulless zombie, to construct such a mangled narrative. The thought that the kids would have found the experience anything other than life affirming or that they would not have been positively overwhelmed and benifitted by briefly occupying the focal point of such strong stiring national emotion is nothing short of self obsessed callousness.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '13 09:472 edits
    Originally posted by kmax87
    You are a heartless, soulless zombie, to construct such a mangled narrative. The thought that the kids would have found the experience anything other than life affirming or that they would not have been positively overwhelmed and benifitted by briefly occupying the focal point of such strong stiring national emotion is nothing short of self obsessed callousness.
    rec'd

His occasional thoughtful, opinionated posts aside, I think normbenign pours a little bit too much time and energy into cultivating an image as a misanthropic contrarian just for the sake of it, saying whatever he thinks might set him apart [even if it is, on occasion, highly unoriginal duckspeak regurgitated from the far right bloggosphere], regardless of contradictions or the kind of speculative "claptrap" [as he calls it] that he almost never accepts from anyone else apart from himself.

Then again maybe his OP and subsequent comments are meant in earnest - and I think they are, thus the rec for your post, which hits the nail on the head.
  5. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    13 Mar '13 11:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    rec'd

His occasional thoughtful, opinionated posts aside, I think normbenign pours a little bit too much time and energy into cultivating an image as a misanthropic contrarian just for the sake of it, saying whatever he thinks might set him apart [even if it is, on occasion, highly unoriginal duckspeak regurgitated from the far right bloggosphere], reg ...[text shortened]... earnest - and I think they are, thus the rec for your post, which hits the nail on the head.
    Cheers!

Normally I would let this sort of Foxagenated spin just wash over and I'd find something trite to counter the insanity, but then I watched the clip and thought man he's either just a troll with nothing better to do, or he's nothing more than a really twisted unit! Now he might be a sincere twisted unit, but surely there's more to life than constantly acting the douche!
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Mar '13 12:38
    Originally posted by normbenign

It is the same thing when kids or even adults are used as stage props by Presidents (of both Parties) at inaugurations, and Sta ...[text shortened]... ay yes, but I would not have. And I can see that there may be rationales for an opposite view.
    In life everyone does what is best for them. If the kids liked the opportunity they will take advantage of it. If the president thinks it will get him more votes, he will invite them. If networks think it is good for ratings they will broadcast it. If people like seeing it, they will continuw to watch. I'm not offended because I don't see this in any way unique.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    13 Mar '13 18:461 edit
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Cant say I am offended but if one of the children were mine I most definitely would be!!!! I am plumb disgusted at the whole spectacle!!!!!
    If one of the children were yours you could have them not be involved. For all we know, some parents did this. Maybe some of the children told their parents they didn't want to be involved. (At a minimum, parental permission slips would be needed.)
  8. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    13 Mar '13 20:56
    If it don't kill ya it'll make you stronger .
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    14 Mar '13 00:22
    Originally posted by quackquack
    In life everyone does what is best for them. If the kids liked the opportunity they will take advantage of it. If the president thinks it will get him more votes, he will invite them. If networks think it is good for ratings they will broadcast it. If people like seeing it, they will continuw to watch. I'm not offended because I don't see this in any way unique.
    In general, I agree with you on all points. I'm sure this was a thrill of a lifetime for the kids who did participate. They may have other thoughts reflecting on it later as adults. As a parent, I would not have given permission for my child to participate, but that's a personal decision each and every parent would be faced with, and apparently many did not object.

Just for the record, this question was not engendered by Fox News, or a right wing blog. It struck me immediately as I watched the Superbowl show. I think I posted the thread before the game was over.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree