Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    27 Jul '16 11:20
    What is an apocaloptimist? It is someone who sees the world going to hell in a hand basket but remains optimistic anyway.

    Are you one? If so why? If not, why not?
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14639
    27 Jul '16 11:26
    Originally posted by whodey
    What is an apocaloptimist? It is someone who sees the world going to hell in a hand basket but remains optimistic anyway.

    Are you one? If so why? If not, why not?
    When I see that word I think more of people like you, who want the apocalypse to happen.

    Isn't that part of this Christian fairy tale you cling to?
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Joined
    25 Jun '06
    Moves
    64930
    27 Jul '16 11:31
    Originally posted by whodey
    What is an apocaloptimist? It is someone who sees the world going to hell in a hand basket but remains optimistic anyway.

    Are you one? If so why? If not, why not?
    Someone who hears your endless predictions of doom and smiles.
  4. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    5232
    27 Jul '16 15:25
    Originally posted by whodey
    What is an apocaloptimist? It is someone who sees the world going to hell in a hand basket but remains optimistic anyway.

    Are you one? If so why? If not, why not?
    No, because the world is not going to hell in a hand cart.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35839
    28 Jul '16 09:47
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    When I see that word I think more of people like you, who want the apocalypse to happen.

    Isn't that part of this Christian fairy tale you cling to?
    Actually, this is a stereotype, and not at all true.

    Actually, I'm not so sure about whodey.



    And btw, I don't know any Christian fairy-tales.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    28 Jul '16 10:34
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    When I see that word I think more of people like you, who want the apocalypse to happen.

    Isn't that part of this Christian fairy tale you cling to?
    Come on, get off your high horse. You believe that global warming is destroying the earth, don't you.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35839
    29 Jul '16 11:41
    Originally posted by whodey
    Come on, get off your high horse. You believe that global warming is destroying the earth, don't you.
    Don't you get it yet?

    The idea is to stop global warming before it starts destroying the earth. This planet is still the only one we have.

    You're like the kid who is told to stop masturbating or he'll go blind. He then asks "can I just do it until I need glasses?"

    Haven't you heard of the "Greenhouse Effect"? By the time we "need glasses" it'll be too big and too late to stop it. But all you fools care about is your profits now. Screw the next generations.
  8. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    5232
    29 Jul '16 12:09
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Don't you get it yet?

    The idea is to stop global warming before it starts destroying the earth. This planet is still the only one we have.

    You're like the kid who is told to stop masturbating or he'll go blind. He then asks "can I just do it until I need glasses?"

    Haven't you heard of the "Greenhouse Effect"? By the time we "need glasses" ...[text shortened]... late to stop it. But all you fools care about is your profits now. Screw the next generations.
    Err, I don't think you thought that analogy through......
  9. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    65514
    29 Jul '16 13:041 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Don't you get it yet?

    The idea is to stop global warming before it starts destroying the earth. This planet is still the only one we have.

    You're like the kid who is told to stop masturbating or he'll go blind. He then asks "can I just do it until I need glasses?"

    Haven't you heard of the "Greenhouse Effect"? By the time we "need glasses" ...[text shortened]... late to stop it. But all you fools care about is your profits now. Screw the next generations.
    Analogy fail.

    After I stopped (or at least cut back) was about the time I started needing glasses..
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35839
    29 Jul '16 20:25
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Analogy fail.

    After I stopped (or at least cut back) was about the time I started needing glasses..
    Analogy win.

    Because of the Greenhouse Effect, the devastating effects of global warming will still continue for years after we stop adding untold tons of chlorofluorocarbons to the air each year. It's even unclear whether we are already past the 'tipping point'.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Joined
    05 Dec '05
    Moves
    20408
    29 Jul '16 20:35
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Don't you get it yet?

    The idea is to stop global warming before it starts destroying the earth. This planet is still the only one we have.

    You're like the kid who is told to stop masturbating or he'll go blind. He then asks "can I just do it until I need glasses?"

    Haven't you heard of the "Greenhouse Effect"? By the time we "need glasses" ...[text shortened]... late to stop it. But all you fools care about is your profits now. Screw the next generations.
    I let out a huge guffaw when I had someone read your post aloud to me.
  12. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    5232
    30 Jul '16 17:21
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Analogy win.

    Because of the Greenhouse Effect, the devastating effects of global warming will still continue for years after we stop adding untold tons of chlorofluorocarbons to the air each year. It's even unclear whether we are already past the 'tipping point'.
    You do know that masturbating doesn't make you go blind?
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    80055
    30 Jul '16 18:27
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    And btw, I don't know any Christian fairy-tales.
    Bel and the Dragon?
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    80055
    30 Jul '16 18:42
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Analogy win.

    Because of the Greenhouse Effect, the devastating effects of global warming will still continue for years after we stop adding untold tons of chlorofluorocarbons to the air each year. It's even unclear whether we are already past the 'tipping point'.
    Sorry, this is a little confused, CFC's cause ozone depletion in the upper atmosphere. By international agreement their use has been phased out and the problem has been mitigated. Carbon emissions are believed to cause global warming. Because CFC's are useful but not essential they were easy to eliminate from fridges and so forth. Carbon emissions are created by energy production. This makes it far more difficult to eliminate them because energy is what civilization is built upon. However, I'm confident that, because climatic catastrophe is in no one's long term interests, carbon mitigation policies will gradually be adopted by governments.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    31 Jul '16 01:41
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Err, I don't think you thought that analogy through......
    She is right, masturbation causes global warming.

    Sorry everyone. 😞
Back to Top