1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Sep '12 00:19
    Originally posted by NOTGATE
    just like evolution eh? I heard that in some states the teaching of Darwins theory has been removed from the curriculum. You guys worry me.... alot. You must be brainwashed sensless. And now the biggest consumer in the world isn't going to bother buying in to "the whole global warming thing". So you really cant see that it would be far easier to pay off a fe ...[text shortened]... ica's forgotten whos really in charge because they're too busy fighting each other.
    Peace.
    just like evolution eh? I heard that in some states the teaching of Darwins theory has been removed from the curriculum.

You're lost, dude.

Where do you get your information?
  2. Joined
    09 Sep '12
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 18:32
    Originally posted by sh76
    just like evolution eh? I heard that in some states the teaching of Darwins theory has been removed from the curriculum.

You're lost, dude.

Where do you get your information?
    fox news
  3. Germany
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 18:51
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    I think AL Gore, inventer of the internet says that.
    Where does the myth that Al Gore invented the internet come from? Gore majored in government and has zero technical knowledge, how could he possibly have "invented the internet", which was a collective effort anyway? Gore did play a role in shaping the legal framework surrounding the Internet.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    03 Oct '12 20:08
    Originally posted by NOTGATE
    fox news
    Fox News said that "in some states the teaching of Darwins theory has been removed from the curriculum"? That's news to me.

It's true that some states have tried (usually without success) to present an intelligent design theory as an explanation to the origin of life, but that is very far cry from removing Darwinism from the curriculum. Darwinism does not contradict intelligent design and AFAIK nobody wants to stop teaching evolution in public schools.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Oct '12 16:34
    Censorship??

What are you talking about?
    You didn't know your news was censored? I guess the censorship is working!
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    04 Oct '12 18:48
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You didn't know your news was censored? I guess the censorship is working!
    Yeah, it worked so well I still don't have the foggiest notion as to what you're talking about.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 12:48
    As you know if you care about this sort of thing, this year saw the Arctic ice minimum absolutely shatter the old record - according to some sources, the record was broken by 18%.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/sep/19/arctic-ice-shrinks

Even for people who were once ambivalent about the AGW issue (including myself), the evidence is becoming ov ...[text shortened]... ts can think up. It's not time to implement those plans yet, but it's time to develop them.
    Just sit back and pray for scientists to save you as our culture of consumption continues to drive the planet to imminent ruin. This blind faith in the presumed salvific powers of science has become the de facto religion of secular society. Well, as our resource consumption currently equals that of 1.5 earths, science isn't going to be able to save you from yourselves. As long as we remain in thrall to an economic model built on the fantasy of permanent growth while living on a finite world, ecological catastrophe will be the inevitable outcome. If you really want to save ourselves from ruin, don't look to science. Look to economics instead. A steady-state economics which rejects the absurd fantasy of permanent growth and rejects the GDP as a meaningful measurement of human well being.
  8. Joined
    06 Aug '07
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 13:16
    As long as we remain in thrall to an economic model built on the fantasy of permanent growth while living on a finite world, ecological catastrophe will be the inevitable outcome. If you really want to save ourselves from ruin, don't look to science. Look to economics instead. A steady-state economics which rejects the absurd fantasy of permanent growth and rejects the GDP as a meaningful measurement of human well being.

Well - said - GDP is meaningless unless the resources are used wisely. "Permanent growth" is an illusion based on outdated economic theories.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 13:26
    Originally posted by kbear1k
    As long as we remain in thrall to an economic model built on the fantasy of permanent growth while living on a finite world, ecological catastrophe will be the inevitable outcome. If you really want to save ourselves from ruin, don't look to science. Look to economics instead. A steady-state economics which rejects the absurd fantasy of permanent growth and ...[text shortened]... urces are used wisely. "Permanent growth" is an illusion based on outdated economic theories.
    Unfortunately, the technocrats which rule the world with their elaborate and arcane systems are as addicted to the idea of permanent growth as a junkie is to crack. I doubt whether they'll be able to kick that habit.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 14:32
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Well, as our resource consumption currently equals that of 1.5 earths, science isn't going to be able to save you from yourselves.
    That simply doesn't follow.

If you really want to save ourselves from ruin, don't look to science. Look to economics instead. A steady-state economics which rejects the absurd fantasy of permanent growth and rejects the GDP as a meaningful measurement of human well being.
    Its not economics that needs to change, its culture. Everyone in the US and Europe is in a state of depression because they didn't get richer last year.
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Oct '12 14:38
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    That simply doesn't follow.

[b]If you really want to save ourselves from ruin, don't look to science. Look to economics instead. A steady-state economics which rejects the absurd fantasy of permanent growth and rejects the GDP as a meaningful measurement of human well being.

Its not economics that needs to change, its culture. Everyone in the US and Europe is in a state of depression because they didn't get richer last year.[/b]
    Economics most definitely needs to change, but I'll grant you that a change in culture may be the way to achieve it. The two are very much intertwined.
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Oct '12 12:06
    Just sit back and pray for scientists to save you as our culture of consumption continues to drive the planet to imminent ruin. This blind faith in the presumed salvific powers of science has become the de facto religion of secular society. Well, as our resource consumption currently equals that of 1.5 earths, science isn't going to be able to save you from ...[text shortened]... ntasy of permanent growth and rejects the GDP as a meaningful measurement of human well being.
    So you're praying to economists and I'm praying to scientists.

At least I'm praying to people who operate under are constrained by their procedures to act on real facts.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Oct '12 12:11
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Where does the myth that Al Gore invented the internet come from? Gore majored in government and has zero technical knowledge, how could he possibly have "invented the internet", which was a collective effort anyway? Gore did play a role in shaping the legal framework surrounding the Internet.
    A verbal flub in an interview.
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Oct '12 12:37
    So you're praying to economists and I'm praying to scientists.

At least I'm praying to people who operate under are constrained by their procedures to act on real facts.
    No, I'm definitely not praying to economists. I have nothing but contempt for economists and am as dismissive of their efforts as you seem to be. What I am advocating is wresting 'economics' free from the control of priestly, economist class and putting it under popular, democratic control. Then the economy will serve the interests of the people that comprise it, rather than having the people serving the supposed interests of the economists' cherished systems of control.

If humanity is to save themselves, that is the means by which it will happen. By transforming the nature of economics (and of culture, as twhitehead points out). Science has a supporting role in that, but science, on its own, will not save you from yourselves.
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Oct '12 13:35
    No, I'm definitely not praying to economists. I have nothing but contempt for economists and am as dismissive of their efforts as you seem to be. What I am advocating is wresting 'economics' free from the control of priestly, economist class and putting it under popular, democratic control. Then the economy will serve the interests of the people that compri ...[text shortened]... e has a supporting role in that, but science, on its own, will not save you from yourselves.
    Well, assuming all of that isn't going to happen, I'll bet scientists can find a work-around that will last at least a century or two.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree