14 Jan '21 18:54
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Shame on you for sullying her memory.
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 18:56
    @shavixmir said
    He problem is, is that once he’s gone the problem will remain. He’s a symptom, not a cause.
    Bull. He's one of the main causes, as well as a symptom. Stop excusing him, or Murdoch, or the Kochs.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 21:00

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 09:42
    @moonbus said
    The great American experiment in self-government may yet fail. The events of the past four years demonstrated how fragile democracy is, how easy it is for one determined demagogue and his 'facilitators' to corrupt and damage it. As A.N. Whitehead once observed, great advances in civilisation all but wreck the nations in which they occur.
    We can solve this in one stroke by eliminating the Electoral College.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 09:46
    @shavixmir said
    Oh, the yanks are crazy, but they’re very timid compared to the salivating, paranoid hatred of brexiteers.
    They may be timid, but they're better armed.

With any luck, they'll all shoot themselves in the nuts and won't pass on their faulty genes.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 09:49
    @biffo-konker said
    What a load of old cobblers.
    Brexit was driven by lies and disinformation over many years by the Telegraph,Daily Mail and others.
    Sounds like the US alt-right.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 09:501 edit
    @suzianne said
    We can solve this in one stroke by eliminating the Electoral College.
    Yes, but . . . that would require a constitutional amendment. Republicans would lose big time if America were to switch to a straightforward one-voter-one-vote, simple-majority system, for the obvious reason that there are fewer of them. Therefore, Republicans would scuttle any attempt to dissolve the EC.

As I've said before, the two-party system in America is broken. I think Trump will split the Republican Party, so a three-party system may be in the offing, willynilly. Then there might be a chance to reshape the electoral system in America, not just the EC. For example, states should work hard to explain mail-in ballot security to the voting public--they are secure in fact, but they are not seen to be, and the states need to rectify that.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 09:57
    @moonbus said
    Yes, but . . . that would require a constitutional amendment. Republicans would lose big time if America were to switch to a straightforward one-voter-one-vote, simple-majority system, for the obvious reason that there are fewer of them. Therefore, Republicans would scuttle any attempt to dissolve the EC.
    States-rights idiots would also frame it as Democrats trying to stifle smaller states' free speech. One person, one vote. It's that simple, but not after Republicans get ahold of it.
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    15 Jan '21 10:38
    @divegeester said
    It’s Shav’s catch phrase, I wrote it in Hebrew so people wouldn’t have to read it.
    My catch phrase?

Surely that's: Someone shoot the fcueker.

However, Tum Podem Extulit Horridulum is very good too.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree