1. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 08:42
    @shavixmir said
    As soon as trump was in office, I really believed he’d “die in his sleep”
    I was truly surprised when he stayed alive.
    But the kind of people who disagree with him aren't the kind to talk with murder are they, they're more thinkers than impulsive fighters and it was maybe a good thing that he run his course so everyone can see the damage in daylight of where his ideals can take a country.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 08:42
    @moonbus said
    Some people in the mob which attacked the Capitol shouted "hang Pence" and a gallows was erected outside the Capitol building.
    I hope this knowledge sent shivers down his spine.
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 08:50
    @yo-its-me said
    I was truly surprised when he stayed alive.
    But the kind of people who disagree with him aren't the kind to talk with murder are they, they're more thinkers than impulsive fighters and it was maybe a good thing that he run his course so everyone can see the damage in daylight of where his ideals can take a country.
    He problem is, is that once he’s gone the problem will remain. He’s a symptom, not a cause.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 08:512 edits
    @divegeester said
    I hope this knowledge sent shivers down his spine.
    While Pence and his colleagues were besieged inside the building, Trump was phoning to a Senator inside to get the senator to delay the vote -- Trump was evidently unaware that the mob had forced the Congressmen and the VP to stop the proceedings and take shelter. I should think Pence was angry at his boss for showing no concern at all for his VP's safety.

EDIT:

"As the mob smashed through doors and windows to invade the Capitol, a loud chant went up calling for the hanging of Vice President Mike Pence, the recent target of a Trump Twitter tirade for not subverting the Constitution and overturning the legitimate vote tally. Outside, a wooden scaffold had been erected on the National Mall, a rope noose dangling at the ready."

. . . facing federal charges is Cleveland Grover Meredith Jr., a Georgia man who in the wake of the election had protested outside the home of Republican Gov. Brian Kemp, whom Trump had publicly blamed for his loss in the state. Meredith drove to Washington last week for the “Save America” rally but arrived late because of a problem with the lights on his trailer, according to court filings that include expletive-laden texts.

“Headed to DC with a (s—-) ton of 5.56 armor-piercing ammo,” he texted friends and relatives on Jan. 6, adding a purple devil emoji, according to court filings. The following day, he texted to the group: “Thinking about heading over to Pelosi (C——’s) speech and putting a bullet in her noggin on Live TV.” He once again added a purple devil emoji, and wrote he might hit her with his truck instead. “I’m gonna run that (C—-) Pelosi over while she chews on her gums. … Dead (B—— ) Walking. I predict that within 12 days, many in our country will die.”

A participant in the text exchange provided screenshots to the FBI, who tracked Meredith to a Holiday Inn a short walk from the Capitol. They found a compact Tavor X95 assault rifle, a 9mm Glock 19 handgun and about 100 rounds of ammunition, according to court filings. The agents also seized a stash of THC edibles and a vial of injectable testosterone.

Meredith is charged with transmitting a threat, as well as felony counts for possession of firearms and ammunition.

Quoted from AP

https://apnews.com/article/us-capitol-siege-trump-supporters-8edfd3bb994568b7cdcd2243ad769101
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 08:511 edit
    @shavixmir said
    He problem is, is that once he’s gone the problem will remain. He’s a symptom, not a cause.
    Yes, there are millions of Trump supporters who still believe the election was stolen. Trump may go away, but the problem will not.
  6. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 09:05
    @moonbus said
    Yes, there are millions of Trump supporters who still believe the election was stolen. Trump may go away, but the problem will not.
    America is surely more awake to the hate in their country and how fast it can escalate now.
    Brexit really highlighted that for us here.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 09:13
    @yo-its-me said
    America is surely more awake to the hate in their country and how fast it can escalate now.
    It's been a festering wound in America for some time. Trump rubbed salt into it.
  8. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 09:30
    @moonbus said
    It's been a festering wound in America for some time. Trump rubbed salt into it.
    I don't think America is unique in having people who hate in their country. But the UK and America could ignore it and forget about it and that is a dangerous thing, what Trumpy did was highlight it and make everyone aware of how strong it can get if given the freedom it shouldn't have.
    There's a positive to be found here
    Next time it can be seen for what it is straight off the bat. People will be looking; aware; watchful.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 09:322 edits
    @yo-its-me said
    Brexit may have looked similar, albeit much lesser scale in terms of protests and violence, but Brexit was not driven by a permanent broad political divide, it was driven by a singular ideological one, perceived sovereignty and political independence, compounded by an apparent attempt to scupper and reverse a democratically made decision. However flawed it was in its execution.

Now that Brexit is done and the new trade agreement is in place you will hardly hear about it, relatively speaking. We are quite a United Kingdom in more ways than we are not. Whereas in America the issue goes back to their civil war and is a fundamental flaw in the foundation of generational mindsets and the long term political architecture.

Edit: civil war, not war of independence.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 09:46
    @yo-its-me said
    There's a positive to be found here
    Next time it can be seen for what it is straight off the bat. People will be looking; aware; watchful.
    You would like to think so but I’m not so sure now.

Trump bided his time before running for election, I feel he was waiting for the right moment when he could appeal to an large enough right wing base, which was after the paranoia of the Obama administration. This paranoia and racial hatred is now steaming under pressure in the US and Trump has been the lightening rod bringing it all together.

The problem in the US is the deeply held political hatred and suspicion coupled with and fuelled by the religious mindset. Some religious people in this forum actually believed that Obama was possessed by Satan. This is obviously not a good way to think and not one which is easily reversed.
  11. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 09:58
    @divegeester said
    Brexit may have looked similar, albeit much lesser scale in terms of protests and violence, but Brexit was not driven by a permanent broad political divide, it was driven by a singular ideological one, perceived sovereignty and political independence, compounded by an apparent attempt to scupper and reverse a democratically made decision. However flawed it was in its exec ...[text shortened]... onal mindsets and the long term political architecture.

I heard a bit about sovereignty and political independence from Europe. But what I heard more of was children being told to 'go home' even in the playground by other children's parents. I'm not joking sadly. There's a few pockets of poverty where I live and in these areas there are great mixes and we have learned since Brexit, real fear that other people come in and take from the locals the wonderful life they imagine they could have had if the Europeans didn't sneak in and steal their jobs. That's how Nigglyfridgy got the votes remember, building on that fear- he knew it was there but we didn't. We do now.
  12. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 10:03
    @divegeester said
    Brexit may have looked similar, albeit much lesser scale in terms of protests and violence, but Brexit was not driven by a permanent broad political divide, it was driven by a singular ideological one, perceived sovereignty and political independence, compounded by an apparent attempt to scupper and reverse a democratically made decision. However flawed it was in its exec ...[text shortened]... onal mindsets and the long term political architecture.

Such utter hogwash.
  13. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 10:16
    @divegeester said
    You would like to think so but I’m not so sure now.

Trump bided his time before running for election, I feel he was waiting for the right moment when he could appeal to an large enough right wing base, which was after the paranoia of the Obama administration. This paranoia and racial hatred is now steaming under pressure in the US and Trump has been the lightening rod ...[text shortened]... possessed by Satan. This is obviously not a good way to think and not one which is easily reversed.
    Isn't progress usually speckled with steps back?
    Obama made excellent progress for America with uniting across economic divides and social divides. Inevitable, to a certain extent, that there would be a step back. In stepping back, we saw a real hate which took me by surprise. Didn't it you?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 10:22
    @shavixmir said
    Such utter hogwash.
    Well you’ve got me convinced!
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 10:24
    @yo-its-me said
    Isn't progress usually speckled with steps back?
    Obama made excellent progress for America with uniting across economic divides and social divides. Inevitable, to a certain extent, that there would be a step back. In stepping back, we saw a real hate which took me by surprise. Didn't it you?
    I don’t think America is making progress.

I was genuinely excited when Trump lost the election, but since then I’ve come to realise that, as Shav says, Trump was a symptom not the cause.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree