1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Jul '11 03:171 edit
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/report-cheating-atlanta-teachers-scandal-could-have-far-reaching-effects-on-economy/

When we think of cheating in school, we think of students cheating. However, recently 178+ teachers and principles were caught smudging scores to reflect high marks for students. Such high scores would not only look good for the teachers and principles job performance, it would also cause businesses to think about coming to the area due to the strong academics in the local poblic schools.

With such high stakes economic stakes, is it no wonder this happened? In addition, how frequently does this go on? I mean, 178+ teachers and principles? this had to be going on for some time before they got caught.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    20 Jul '11 10:02
    State standardized tests should always be double-checked by teachers from a different school.
  3. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Jul '11 12:22
    I taught and there certainly was cheating on standardized exams (although I can honestly say I was not stupid enough to do that). As a practical point of view, their may have been an even greater difference in scores based on human interpretation of grading rubrics.

I don't think stories about cheating in teaching should be suprising given that the newspaper is filled with stories about people who cheat on their spouses, cheat on their taxes, cheating in sports from violating salary caps, to bribing officials to performance enhancing drugs.

In fact, most people would be more surprised that there are even people who cheat in chess.
  4. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    20 Jul '11 13:33
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    State standardized tests should always be double-checked by teachers from a different school.
    They can cheat by filling in the right answers as well, won't get caught at the other schools.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jul '11 13:34
    i'm surprised the teachers knew the right answers.
  6. Garner, NC
    Moves
    20 Jul '11 13:45
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/report-cheating-atlanta-teachers-scandal-could-have-far-reaching-effects-on-economy/

When we think of cheating in school, we think of students cheating. However, recently 178+ teachers and principles were caught smudging scores to reflect high marks for students. Such high scores would not only look good for the teachers a ...[text shortened]... an, 178+ teachers and principles? this had to be going on for some time before they got caught.
    Not only is this not surprising, but as soon as the No Child Left Behind legislation was passed, I knew we'd see stuff like this. The direct financial burdens imposed on school districts that don't meet milestones required by NCLB are huge. I would have expected our politicians to consider things like this back when NCLB was up for debate.

Just think how easy it would be for a teacher to change answers on a standardized test. As hard as it would be to catch them, does anyone seriously doubt that there are a lot more teachers doing it that aren't getting caught?
  7. Germany
    Moves
    20 Jul '11 13:52
    Originally posted by Barts
    They can cheat by filling in the right answers as well, won't get caught at the other schools.
    Wouldn't that be obvious from handwriting differences?
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Jul '11 13:54
    The FBI isn't checking to see if someone changed a 1 to 4
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jul '11 13:59
    they're filling in bubbles on an answer sheet
  10. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    20 Jul '11 14:25
    As Zapp says, it's multiple choice. There's a chapter about this kind of fraud in freakonomics.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    20 Jul '11 15:02
    Originally posted by Zapp Brannigan
    they're filling in bubbles on an answer sheet
    So ban multiple choice tests in schools. They are a travesty anyway.
  12. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Jul '11 15:33
    I believe that one of the reasons we have high stakes tests is that we do not trust/ always agree with the evaluations made by teachers.

While I don't believe multiple choice is the only way to test, they are objective and it is easier to compare objective scores than through exams that involve my discretion (escpecially when one of the things we are using the exam for is to see the quality of the teacher).
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jul '11 16:14
    wow you really don't like to waste time doing a lot of thinking do you?

These are NATIONALLY administered tests with a population of many millions to look at, they have to be computer scored, unless they want to hire a few million more to score them.

Jebus think about what you're saying once in a while.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    20 Jul '11 16:24
    Originally posted by Zapp Brannigan
    wow you really don't like to waste time doing a lot of thinking do you?

These are NATIONALLY administered tests with a population of many millions to look at, they have to be computer scored, unless they want to hire a few million more to score them.

Jebus think about what you're saying once in a while.
    So the US cannot afford to properly test pupils? Get real.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jul '11 16:42
    So the US cannot afford to properly test pupils? Get real.
    sheesh so you want what, essay questions that have to be subjectively scored by the millions?
    My God you are the perfect example of what an education with no real world experience equals.

I've asked you several times but you refuse to answer, please i want to know:
    Have you ever ...had...a....job?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree