1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Feb '11 19:10
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged_%28film%29

Who wants to chip in to buy No1 and Rwingett a pair of opening weekend tickets each so that they and their significant others (or friends, I'm not picky) can enjoy what no doubt will be the highlight of their weekend?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    13 Feb '11 19:34
    Originally posted by sh76

Who wants to chip in to buy No1 and Rwingett a pair of opening weekend tickets each so that they and their significant others (or friends, I'm not picky) can enjoy what no doubt will be the highlight of their weekend?
    A trilogy, eh? Sounds long and tedious; a faithful adaptation of the book.
  3. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    13 Feb '11 19:57
    Originally posted by rwingett
    A trilogy, eh? Sounds long and tedious; a faithful adaptation of the book.
    ... sounds like one of those moments where you wish Hollywood would stick to form....
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    13 Feb '11 20:03
    Originally posted by kmax87
    ... sounds like one of those moments where you wish Hollywood would stick to form....
    Indeed. Isn't there some second rate superhero they've overlooked somewhere that they could make a movie out of? I don't think they've done Aquaman yet.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 02:10
    I read Atlas Shrugged 40 years ago.

Honestly can't remember squat about it now.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 03:071 edit
    Indeed. Isn't there some second rate superhero they've overlooked somewhere that they could make a movie out of? I don't think they've done Aquaman yet.
    YouTube
    YouTube
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 17:15
    I got great news for ya...

YouTube&NR=1
  8. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    15 Feb '11 06:43

Good grief, no.

Why oh Lord, why?
  9. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    15 Feb '11 13:101 edit
    Is this another one of those masochist festivals? Rand's extant screenplays were already coma-inducing. The book demonstrated an embarrassingly inadequate level of emotional development. Her life itself was embarrassing. I know teenagers who have a better grasp human relationships. What is the attraction to Rand? Every intelligent Libertarian I have ever known considered her to be the worst thing ever to happen to Libertarian philosophy and among actual philosophers she is only a bad joke.
  10. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    15 Feb '11 14:02
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    Rand's extant screenplays were already coma-inducing.
    Actually, King Vidor's film of The Fountainhead, from a script by Rand, is very stylish and entertaining. But I think that's got more to do with Vidor, a director who was usually able to bring conviction and power to melodrama, than with Rand's original story.

Interestingly, We the Living was filmed without Rand's permission in Italy in 1943; the film got the go-ahead as an anti-Communist film, without Mussolini realising that it could also be interpreted as a satire on other forms of totalitarianism, such as his own. After a few weeks in the theatres, Mussolini belatedly realised the truth, and the film was pulled.
  11. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    15 Feb '11 15:18
    I got great news for ya...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvmB8uCSRMQ&NR=1
    GEEEZUS!
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Feb '11 17:071 edit
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    Is this another one of those masochist festivals? Rand's extant screenplays were already coma-inducing. The book demonstrated an embarrassingly inadequate level of emotional development. Her life itself was embarrassing. I know teenagers who have a better grasp human relationships. What is the attraction to Rand? Every intelligent Libertarian I have e ...[text shortened]... ever to happen to Libertarian philosophy and among actual philosophers she is only a bad joke.
    Fun Fact: Rand despised the Libertarians and felt they owed her money and public, legal acknowledgement for "her ideas".
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    15 Feb '11 19:49
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Good grief, no.

Why oh Lord, why?
    The Devil switched all Job's books for Ayn Rand.
  14. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    15 Feb '11 20:22
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    The Devil switched all Job's books for Ayn Rand.
    Surely there's only one book of Job?
    And besides, I'm pretty sure that Ayn Rand is everything but an example of theodicy.

If she had a biblical book it would be called: Faeces is as faeces does... and the atlas shrugged.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Feb '11 00:19
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Fun Fact: Rand despised the Libertarians and felt they owed her money and public, legal acknowledgement for "her ideas".
    Other than her sycophants and virile, manly capitalists, who didn't she despise?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree