Atlas Shrugged movie coming April 15

Atlas Shrugged movie coming April 15

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
16 Feb 11

Originally posted by no1marauder
Other than her sycophants and virile, manly capitalists, who didn't she despise?
Sycophant is such a brilliant word.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
17 Apr 11

Other than her sycophants and virile, manly capitalists, who didn't she despise?

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
17 Apr 11

Originally posted by shavixmir
Sycophant is such a brilliant word.
..and for you Shav:

http://5z8.info/heroin-od.avi_h0r1cv_56-DEPLOY-TROJAN-287.mw9----

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
17 Apr 11

http://www.thenation.com/blog/159963/rand-appalling-new-atlas-shrugged-movie-booed-planet

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
17 Apr 11
1 edit

Originally posted by rwingett
http://www.thenation.com/blog/159963/rand-appalling-new-atlas-shrugged-movie-booed-planet
LOL

Some hit with the critics that move made!

I've already seen The King's Speech this year, so I'm not going to see it... one stultifying snoozefest a year is all someone should have to go through.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
18 Apr 11

Originally posted by TerrierJack
Is this another one of those masochist festivals? Rand's extant screenplays were already coma-inducing. The book demonstrated an embarrassingly inadequate level of emotional development. Her life itself was embarrassing. I know teenagers who have a better grasp human relationships. What is the attraction to Rand? Every intelligent Libertarian I have e ...[text shortened]... ever to happen to Libertarian philosophy and among actual philosophers she is only a bad joke.
Embarrassing? To whom? Her life embarrassed you?

Atlas Shrugged continues to be a best seller. You don't like it, or disagree, but find it necessary to denigrate the author, tells me that she reached you. People who bore others to death don't elicite the kind of response you've made.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
18 Apr 11

Originally posted by Wajoma
..and for you Shav:

http://5z8.info/heroin-od.avi_h0r1cv_56-DEPLOY-TROJAN-287.mw9----
Ayn Rand just scares the crap out of leftists of every stripe.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
18 Apr 11

Originally posted by sh76
LOL

Some hit with the critics that move made!

I've already seen The King's Speech this year, so I'm not going to see it... one stultifying snoozefest a year is all someone should have to go through.
I empathize with you. I'll most likely wait for the DVD. Hard to imagine keeping a screen play moving through the many monologues of the novel. That it is being done in a trilogy, probably be welcomed by purists, but the action of the novel could probably have been squeezed down to under three hours.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
18 Apr 11

Originally posted by normbenign
Plenty of reason for the Right to dislike her.

The alleged short-cut to knowledge, which is faith, is only a short circuit destroying the mind.

Ayn Rand

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
18 Apr 11

Uh.. no. She isn't scary.
She's like a dinosaur stomping around trying to argue the case for the most dispicable vomit humanity has ever puked.

Oscar Wilde once referred to the foxhunter as: "the unspeakable in full pursuit of the uneatable."

Ayn Rand is the uneatable in full defence of the unspeakable.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
18 Apr 11
1 edit

Originally posted by AThousandYoung

The alleged short-cut to knowledge, which is faith, is only a short circuit destroying the mind.

Ayn Rand
Nice point and nice quote ATY, No.1, Shav et al like to label Rand as Right wing, she was not. One small niggle though, in the context of this quote you may mean:

"Plenty of reason for the religious Right to dislike her."

...and the religious left for that matter 😉

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
18 Apr 11
1 edit

Originally posted by Wajoma
Nice point and nice quote ATY, No.1, Shav et al like to label Rand as Right wing, she was not. One small niggle though, in the context of this quote you may mean:

"Plenty of reason for the [b]religious
Right to dislike her."

...and the religious left for that matter 😉[/b]
From Wikiality:

Ayn Rand (born Alisa Zinovevna Rosenbaum) is the author of the book Atlas Shrugged. The novel is over 6000 pages long and has never been finished by anyone except Alan Greenspan, although Ann Coulter claims to have been inspired by her writing.

Contents [show]
1 Life
2 Philosophy
3 Atlas Shrugged
4 The Fountainhead
5 See Also
6 Footnotes
7 External Tubes

Life Ayn Rand was born in a dictatorial hell hole where she was forced into hard labour and everything was bad. Initially, she believed that this was as things should be. However, one day, in a lucent flash of enlightenment, she discovered two profound philosophical truths: "A is A", and "2 + 2 = 4". This epiphany gave her the power to break the chains of oppression and escape to America. There, she began working on her philosophy of Objectivism, which she developed from first principles, and totally did not just crib from Nietzsche.[1]

Philosophy Rand spent 50 years and tens of thousands of pages of writing, developing and explaining her philosophy of Objectivism. The principles of Objectivism are as follows:

Everyone should act like greedy, selfish a**holes.[1][2]
That's it, I just saved you a lot of time.

Atlas Shrugged is about a bunch of rich business owners who, like all rich people, started out poor and earned every penny they had. This proves that all poor people are just too lazy to get rich. The business owners got tired of paying their workers, so they all ran away from society and hid in Galt's Gulch, a special enclave for the wealthy, brilliant titans who once carried society on their shoulders. The book ends with them starving to death because they didn't have any laborers to produce food.

The Fountainhead AKA the Bible for far right wing losers is Ayn Rand's lesser-known "other novel" very similar to your gay brother whom you don't talk about. It chronicles the adventures of Rand's Objectivist hero: Howard Roark. His escapades include blowing up housing for the poor, raping a woman, and escaping justice by talking the jury to death. According to Rand, this makes him an anti-social psychopath the ideal man! The moral of the story is that capitalism is about making what you want to make, not what there is a demand for.

http://wikiality.wikia.com/Ayn_Rand

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
18 Apr 11

Originally posted by AThousandYoung

Ayn Rand
The right is not entirely religion based, in fact the religious are routinely used as pawns of both the right and left.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
18 Apr 11

From Wikiality:

Ayn Rand (born Alisa Zinovevna Rosenbaum) is the author of the book Atlas Shrugged. The novel is over 6000 pages long and has never been finished by anyone except Alan Greenspan, although Ann Coulter claims to have been inspired by her writing.

Contents [show]
1 Life
2 Philosophy
3 Atlas Shrugged
4 The Fountain ...[text shortened]... ant to make, not what there is a demand for.

http://wikiality.wikia.com/Ayn_Rand
No surprise. Guess you liked that hatchet job. You can cut and paste, but what do you think?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
18 Apr 11

No surprise. Guess you liked that hatchet job. You can cut and paste, but what do you think?
The page isn't a "hatchet job", it's called "humor".

As for Rand's "ideas", I think to base a philosophy on selfishness is anti-human and goes against our basic nature as social animals.