1. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Oct '11 18:05
    Originally posted by normbenign
    " I would say that a parent that allows his ten year old to smoke or drink alcohol is guilty of serious malfeasance. Do you disagree?"

My personal choice would be to prevent my children from smoking, and to limit their drinking, although beer and wine were always allowed for my kids in reasonable quantities. I felt, and experience has proven me right ...[text shortened]... s. Again, if it was a personal choice, I'd rather have my kid smoking than on Ridlin.
    Would you rather have your kid smoking than vaccinated?
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Oct '11 18:461 edit
    " I would say that a parent that allows his ten year old to smoke or drink alcohol is guilty of serious malfeasance. Do you disagree?"

My personal choice would be to prevent my children from smoking, and to limit their drinking, although beer and wine were always allowed for my kids in reasonable quantities. I felt, and experience has proven me right s. Again, if it was a personal choice, I'd rather have my kid smoking than on Ridlin.
    The "clear evidence" is that people will steal even though there are laws against theft. That people will break laws is hardly an argument that said laws shouldn't exist.

The last paragraph is a False Choice to a large extent. IF kids are going to go to the public schools, then I see no "natural right" to not be vaccinated against highly infectious diseases - indeed this type of protection of the public health has been a standard "police power" for hundreds of years and was certainly accepted by the Founders. My personal preference is against compulsory school attendance laws which would eliminate any perceived dilemma.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    18 Oct '11 22:55
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Would you rather have your kid smoking than vaccinated?
    Not a question of either or. I'd rather make the decision myself on both things. It's like the HPV vaccine Governor Perry mandated in Texas. This isn't without risks and side effects.

No problem if a parent wants it, but it never should be mandated by government. If and when government is wrong, when do they ever admit it and correct the error or indemnify the harmed?
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    18 Oct '11 22:57
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The "clear evidence" is that people will steal even though there are laws against theft. That people will break laws is hardly an argument that said laws shouldn't exist.

The last paragraph is a False Choice to a large extent. IF kids are going to go to the public schools, then I see no "natural right" to not be vaccinated against highly ...[text shortened]... is against compulsory school attendance laws which would eliminate any perceived dilemma.
    I agree with the latter solution, especially given the horrid results of public education anyway.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    18 Oct '11 22:58

The last paragraph is a False Choice to a large extent. IF kids are going to go to the public schools, then I see no "natural right" to not be vaccinated against highly ...[text shortened]... is against compulsory school attendance laws which would eliminate any perceived dilemma.
    "The "clear evidence" is that people will steal even though there are laws against theft. That people will break laws is hardly an argument that said laws shouldn't exist."

There also is evidence which says that the greater support a law has, the less enforcement is needed.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Oct '11 23:38
    "The "clear evidence" is that people will steal even though there are laws against theft. That people will break laws is hardly an argument that said laws shouldn't exist."

There also is evidence which says that the greater support a law has, the less enforcement is needed.
    Do you really think there is a lot of opposition to laws that ban sales of tobacco and alcohol to children?
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    19 Oct '11 00:06
    Do you really think there is a lot of opposition to laws that ban sales of tobacco and alcohol to children?
    No. And I know you don't want to hear about the slippery slope.
  8. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    25 Oct '11 12:40
    No. And I know you don't want to hear about the slippery slope.
    Just out of curiosity, within the context of your exchange with #1, where would the logical conclusion of this slope slide too?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree