1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 20:49
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The US is in relative decline ie its power relative to other nations is declining. Mostly because former 3rd world nations are growing economically at a rapid pace and gaining appropriate power, but also partly because military power is no-longer as important as it was in the past.
    I have to point out though that the US was never a world empire and is ve ...[text shortened]... y because of where they live and the influence they wield (partly through those military bases).
    Doesn't that last paragraph apply equally to all "first world" countries?
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 20:59
    Nothing to do with the book, but yes.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 21:04
    Originally posted by bill718
    My short answer would be "yes". I've been saying for years that America does not have the duty to police the globe. It's time other countries take greater responsibility for their own defense, rather than relying on America (and it's taxpayers) to protect them. That money could be better spent to pay down our national debt, and repair our crumbling infrastru ...[text shortened]... re. The conservatives here (who seem hellbent on starting another war) would disagree of course.
    The conservatives here (who seem hellbent on starting another war) would disagree of course.

I consider myself conservative, and at the heart of conservatism is less reliance on government. Military force is a function of government. It ought to be just enough for self defense.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 21:07
    Originally posted by sh76
    US military bases around the globe are a bit of an anachronism, sure. But their main effect is to stimulate the local economy. I don't see why the local countries would be so worried. But if they don't want them then, sure, remove them. Who cares? Military bases on allied countries don't serve much purpose in 2015.
    Brings up questions like why are we supporting welfare of Germany?
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 21:09
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The only problem is that you judgement is based on ignorance. You obviously have no idea what their real purpose is and therefore cannot make a genuine estimate of their benefits. Not really surprising you think they are a waste of money.
    I do know that we could balance our budget without the military. An unanswered question is what all those young people would do for jobs, if not the military. Maybe something domestically productive, we can only hope.
  6. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 21:20
    Originally posted by normbenign
    [b]The conservatives here (who seem hellbent on starting another war) would disagree of course.

I consider myself conservative, and at the heart of conservatism is less reliance on government. Military force is a function of government. It ought to be just enough for self defense.[/b]
    You should tell that to all the current republican lawmakers who want to "beef up" our military machine even further.
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 21:31
    Originally posted by bill718
    You should tell that to all the current republican lawmakers who want to "beef up" our military machine even further.
    Depending on the State, I think you'll find support for the military in both parties. You see a lot of it has to do with the economic impact of military bases, and industries that support it like ship and plane building.

The real challenge lies in re-purposing the millions of people whose jobs are either directly or indirectly supported by the military. Every domestic and foreign base heavily influences the economic well being of that neighborhood.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 21:47

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 21:50
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Do you know the meaning of anachronism?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 21:582 edits

11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 22:10
    Why do you keep making the baseless accusation, "The nearly illiterate Normbenign fails to comprehend..."

Clearly, I can read even your bad writing.

"But their (US military bases) main effect is to stimulate the local economy. I don't see why the local countries would be so worried."

As I have already posted, this is axiomatic and true even in the contiguous US. If you lived here you would know. The political flack is always about closing a military base, and its effect on the local economy. It isn't so different from the effect in the Philippines. Personnel from the bases support local bars, restaurants, use hookers, buy groceries, drive cars, all adding to the local economics. Left unsaid, is that they also impose social costs as well.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 22:19

13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 22:28
    That doesn't make it true. You claim to have superior writing skills, which aren't evident on this site.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 22:301 edit

15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    30 Oct '15 22:38
    And what are you qualifications? Can you prove them on the internet?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree