Bernie Sanders Medicare for all

Bernie Sanders Medicare for all

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K

Germany

Moves
31 Jul 18

Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
Define healthcare. Where do you draw the line between necessary and unnecessary.

And before you flippantly answer with "all healthcare is necessary," keep in mind that the government WILL draw the line somewhere. People with the fewest QALYs go to the back of the line.
Medicare doesn't currently cover everything, now does it?

Moves
31 Jul 18

Originally posted by @whodey
https://www.axios.com/medicare-for-all-bernie-sanders-federal-cost-33-trillion-study-23251fc1-1888-4d4b-964d-21cacf703bf1.html

A new study from the Mercatus Center, a libertarian policy center at George Mason University, projects that progressive Democrats' "Medicare for All" plan would cost the government $32.6 trillion over 10 years.

Why it matters ...[text shortened]... share of that cost paid through taxes, rather than through insurance premiums or out of pocket.
"Where there is no vision the people perish..."

But in your world it's only the ones who can't afford healthcare.

Moves
31 Jul 18

Originally posted by @philokalia
As it stands, I believe that Medicare is routinely ripped off, along with the American consumer, and this largely enables the cheaper prices abroad..
Correct on the first point, hopelessly naive on the second. All that money doesn't go to us, it goes straight into the pockets of CEOs and shareholders.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
31 Jul 18

Originally posted by @whodey
It's all good, it's just monopoly money! 😵

But really, who cares? I mean, health care is a natural right, right? So if it destroys the country economically so be it.
Back to your MO, hyper hyperbole.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
31 Jul 18

Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
Medicare doesn't currently cover everything, now does it?
What bothers me is medicare pays 80% of medical bills. There are supplemental plans that cover the next 20% but the cost is way more than medicare itself. Like we pay I think, 150 a month or so for medicare which comes out of SS, so 300 a month for me and wife.
But to pay for the next 20% it is 178 a month and that rises every year, it started out at 125 5 years ago, so what's up with that? Is the bottom line those insurers are just making a killing or is that last 20% somehow more expensive than the previous 80%? I would think, all things being equal, if we pay 150 a month for medicare, why wouldn't the next 20 % cost more than 30? To be forced to pay 150+ sounds like it costs 5X as much for just that last 20 % which sounds like a ripoff..

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
04 Aug 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @wolfe63
I'm curious.

How many industrialized nations in the world have gone bankrupt because they've offered their citizens free universal health care?

No country offers free health care. We pay for it through higher taxes. You should think of "free health care" as really just "health insurance premiums paid for via higher taxes".

K

Germany

Moves
04 Aug 18

Originally posted by @uzless

No country offers free health care. We pay for it through higher taxes. You should think of "free health care" as really just "health insurance premiums paid for via higher taxes".
Wow, that's so insightful! I never realized people don't usually work for free.

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
04 Aug 18

An excellent clip on Medicare for all.

MB

Moves
04 Aug 18

Why Medicare instead of Medicaid?

Z

Moves
05 Aug 18

Originally posted by @uzless

minus the bureaucracy and the need to make a profit.