Best for Society

Best for Society

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
10 Feb 17

Rank the importance for society. Each is a distinct area which is related only unto itself. No claims that one category enhances another.

1.Being Physically Fit
2.Maintaining Employment
3.Successful Education in either University or Vocation
4.Belief in Freedom of thought and actions Consistent with Western Culture
5.Belief in the need for Green Energy and Sustainability.

My Order of Importance

Freedom is most important of course followed by being a productive member of society by way of supporting yourself and your family.

The rest really isn't all that important.

rain

Moves
10 Feb 17

Originally posted by Eladar
Rank the importance for society. Each is a distinct area which is related only unto itself. No claims that one category enhances another.

1.Being Physically Fit
2.Maintaining Employment
5.Belief in the need for Green Ener ...[text shortened]... iety by way of supporting yourself and your family.

Renewable energy isn't important to older people like yourself, who won't be around much longer. But, it's immoral to gluttonously use up resources and screw future generations by letting them deal with our mess.

E

Moves
10 Feb 17

Originally posted by vivify
Renewable energy isn't important to older people like yourself, who won't be around much longer. But, it's immoral to gluttonously use up resources and screw future generations by letting them deal with our mess.
When it becomes expensive enough, people will naturally move to other sources of fuel. Until then, it isn't a reason to change, even artificially high prices are wrong as far as I'm concerned.

Besides, you never know what innovation will come along. Things will take care of themselves as the need arises.

What would be your order?

Cape Town

Moves
10 Feb 17

When it becomes expensive enough, people will naturally move to other sources of fuel. Until then, it isn't a reason to change, even artificially high prices are wrong as far as I'm concerned.
Currently, wind is the cheapest source of energy available. The problem is that the fossil fuel industry is entrenched and the nuclear industry is corrupt. The result is that countries do not go for the cheapest option.
The best option for the people is of course rooftop solar but most governments don't like that because they get revenue from electricity sales.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
10 Feb 17

It's not just in the gluttonous use of resources, but in trashing our planet in the process.

Cape Town

Moves
10 Feb 17

Rank the importance for society.
I think education is important for society, but none of the others are. Some would follow from a good education.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
10 Feb 17

Besides, you never know what innovation will come along. Things will take care of themselves as the need arises.

What would be your order?
Would you make a cat live in his litter box, not allowing him out, while never cleaning the box?

No, that's inhumane.

And yet that's exactly what we're doing to ourselves.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
10 Feb 17

Originally posted by twhitehead
I think education is important for society, but none of the others are. Some would follow from a good education.
Yes. This is why Bernie's concept of a free education would solve numerous problems, not the least of which is urban crime, eventually paying for itself by promoting a better society for all. We'd see a definite improvement within a generation. But the fat cats don't want a system where we "pay now, see benefit later". But once the benefits caught up with the cost, people will begin to wonder why we didn't do this sooner. I'd extend the free education not only to the young of college age, but to every citizen. We could eliminate the poorest in the country, especially in regions like Appalachia or the coal-mining states. Bring them into the 21st Century with the rest of us, and poverty disappears.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
10 Feb 17

Originally posted by twhitehead
Currently, wind is the cheapest source of energy available. The problem is that the fossil fuel industry is entrenched and the nuclear industry is corrupt. The result is that countries do not go for the cheapest option.
The best option for the people is of course rooftop solar but most governments don't like that because they get revenue from electricity sales.
already been made. Denmark’s new government pledged to reduce the amount of money it spends on “green” energy by 67 percent in December, and Germany plans to abandon the construction of new wind power plants by 2019."

t

Garner, NC

Moves
10 Feb 17

Perhaps he is old enough and wise enough to not fall for the same hype he would have fallen for in his younger days.

E

Moves
10 Feb 17

Originally posted by Wajoma
already been made. Denmark’s new government pledged to reduce the amount of money it spends on “green” energy by 67 percent in December, and Germany plans to abandon the construction of new wind power plants by 2019."
There is the rub. As time passes there will be new technology which would make for better energy production. It looks like Germany will be stuck with older obsolete tech in 20 years.

There will always be the need to update as we develop better and better tech.

When it makes economic sense to update solar or wind over oil and gas, then make the transition.

But then, why do we assume that we will have advanced enough civilizations in 30 years when we allow 3rd world societies to take over? OK, perhaps it will take 100 years if we slow things down.

Tum podem

Sewers of Holland

Moves
11 Feb 17

Jesus folks, the giy asks a simple question: order the priority.

Fine to discuss until the cows die of their own farts, but do the summary first.

Moves
11 Feb 17
1 edit

1.Being Physically Fit
2.Maintaining Employment
5.Belief in the need for Green Ener ...[text shortened]... iety by way of supporting yourself and your family.

3, 5, 2, 1, 4

Interrelatedness exists, but we are told to ignore it. That runs against the spirit of 4, but 4 is hopelessly chauvinistic, and anyone with a good 3 will know this and correct for it. 2 is a practical necessity. 1 is important but evolutionary processes tend to sort out the unfit. Take the chauvinism out of 4 and it moves up right behind 5.

E

Moves
11 Feb 17

Originally posted by JS357
3, 5, 2, 1, 4

Interrelatedness exists, but we are told to ignore it. That runs against the spirit of 4, but 4 is hopelessly chauvinistic, and anyone with a good 3 will know this and correct for it. 2 is a practical necessity. 1 is important but evolutionary processes tend to sort out the unfit. Take the chauvinism out of 4 and it moves up right behind 3.
Does the education matter? University degree from a religious University? Ties into your view on a free culture. Would you be OK living in a Sharia driven culture?

Questions after you give your priority I think works.

Moves
11 Feb 17

Does the education matter? University degree from a religious University? Ties into your view on a free culture. Would you be OK living in a Sharia driven culture?

Questions after you give your priority I think works.
Hard to assess the success of an education without touching on the other priorities. For society's sake I'd say there should be a variety of educational tracks that prepare people for dealing with others in the society and with those from other societies.

I wouldn't be ok because I'm not a Muslim and don't live by Sharia law, but it's not about me, is it?