1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 18:05
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Oh, I don't know. Maybe because millions of working class people will suffer immensely if they don't?

Oh, them. They don't count.
    Rich people seem to have this vague sense that if you feed something money it will grow, and if you starve it for funds it will go away, and since they're rich they can decide what withers and what grows, and since they're rich they must be smart and it's all for the best.

It's a delusion that gets shattered by peasants with guillotines every so often.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 18:511 edit
    Oh, I don't know. Maybe because millions of working class people will suffer immensely if they don't?

Oh, them. They don't count.
    Reid's plan will be a disaster for Democrats. The best possible result for that party is if the Republicans refuse to budge an inch off the Boehner bill and a default occurs. Obama could then just invoke the 14th Amendment, borrow to pay the government's obligations and use available revenues for other services.

That is the only way for the Dems to avoid losing this showdown politically since they have chosen to cave in on their politically popular positions at the behest of bankers.

EDIT: A recent CNN/ORC International Poll reveals a growing public exasperation and demand for compromise. Sixty-four percent of respondents to a July 18-20 survey preferred a deal with a mix of spending cuts and tax increases. Only 34% preferred a debt reduction plan based solely on spending reductions.

According to the poll, the public is sharply divided along partisan lines; Democrats and independents are open to a number of different approaches because they think a failure to raise the debt ceiling would cause a major crisis for the country. Republicans, however, draw the line at tax increases, and a narrow majority of them oppose raising the debt ceiling under any circumstances.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/07/30/debt.talks/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Note the last sentence; the majority of Republicans in this country want a default.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 19:16
    The Party of Fiscal Responsibility!
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Jul '11 19:311 edit
    Good news; the Republicans in the House have voted down the Reid plan before it even got to a Senate vote. Hopefully, Obama can start seriously considering ways to keep paying the bills under one of the proposals in the other thread I started.
  5. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    31 Jul '11 01:03
    His plan is so bad that he knows the credit rating agencies are going to slam it, but it's "beyond his control."

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/07/boehner-beyond-my-control-how-ratings-agencies-treat-my-debt-limit-plan.php?ref=fpa

Not that it matters. It looks like he doesn't even have the votes from his own party.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2011/07/this_is_huge.php

Whatever happens, his days are numbered.
    Perhaps...but he may make the cover of GQ magazine!😀
  6. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    31 Jul '11 08:22
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Good news; the Republicans in the House have voted down the Reid plan before it even got to a Senate vote. Hopefully, Obama can start seriously considering ways to keep paying the bills under one of the proposals in the other thread I started.
    There are four Republicans who didn't sign that letter, and McCain has been showing leanings of his long abandoned "maverickyness" over the past few days. That leaves one vote.

And then the House.
  7. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 01:19
    It turns out, Boehner was even weaker than projected, which is why Pelosi is pissed off at the deal.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/08/pelosi-boehner-was-supposed-to-have-218-votes-for-debt-limit-deal.php?ref=fpa

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree