1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 19:52
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    "Local food" is mostly a cultural phenomenon driven by people who are irrationally afraid of globalization.
    Not true. People "buy local" because they think it helps the environment.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 19:561 edit
    Originally posted by uzless
    Not true. People "buy local" because they think it helps the environment.
    Which is part of the irrational fear of globalization.
  3. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 20:001 edit
    Which is part of the irrational fear of globalization.
    Fear of globilzation has nothing to do with thinking because you buy your meat from the local farmer instead of from company that has to ship its meat by truck for 3 days from some far off location, that you are being environmentally friendly.

Buying local food IS environmentally friendly. It has nothing to do with (or shouldn't) fear of globalization.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 20:031 edit
    Fear of globilzation has nothing to do with thinking because you buy your meat from the local farmer instead of from company that has to ship its meat by truck for 3 days from some far off location, that you are being environmentally friendly.

Buying local food IS environmentally friendly. It has nothing to do with (or shouldn't) fear of globalization.
    There are many factors which influence the environmental impact of the production of food. If you simply buy cheap food and invest the money saved in solar panels on your house you're probably doing the environment a heck of a lot of a bigger favour.
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 20:44
    There are many factors which influence the environmental impact of the production of food. If you simply buy cheap food and invest the money saved in solar panels on your house you're probably doing the environment a heck of a lot of a bigger favour.
    Ah, finally, you offer a solution.

1. Use the saved money to offset your environmental impact.

Now, how many people actually follow this idea when they "buy local"??
  6. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 21:051 edit
    Ok, on one hand we have people saying "buy american " is bad because it encourages protectionism.

On the other hand we have people saying "buy local" is good because it encourages protection of the environment.

These concepts cannot be BOTH correct. They are in direct opposition to one another.

So, which one of you can give me a good answer?
    Who says buying local is good for the environment? Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you mean by buying local.

Edit: Nevermind, you're talking about the expense and energy consumption with shipping. If you buy local are not also buying American?
  7. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 21:07
    How do you know whether the product is local or not? I bet a lot of you who are willing to pay more for local products are actually paying more for a mislabeled import. I'd just buy the product that best serves my needs.
  8. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 21:16
    Originally posted by quackquack
    How do you know whether the product is local or not? I bet a lot of you who are willing to pay more for local products are actually paying more for a mislabeled import. I'd just buy the product that best serves my needs.
    There are some obvious ways to buy local. The local farmers market, a local shop with trinkets made by the shop owner, etc.
  9. Standard memberStTito
    The Mullverine
    Little Beirut
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 22:40
    I buy local because of taste and yes the shipping costs on the environment. But to say buying local will lead to a recession may be true, but it is almost impossible to buy all local. And there is the human factor, if I want Lobster or an orange and can afford it, I'm going to buy it, and it can't be found grown or caught locally. This may be a "perfect world" scenario but if each region could produce what they can sustainably there would often be a product that would be unique or desirable to another region.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 22:56
    Originally posted by StTito
    No, the free market does still work in the local level. I don't know about were you live, but the local meat and veggies grown in my area taste better and fairly competitive in price.
    Like I said, if it is of good quality and/or cheaper buy it!!
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 22:58
    This mentality causes significant environmental harm since the free market does not value the environment.

How do we protect the environment if it does not enter the purchase decision process?
    I thought that was the EPA's job?
  12. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 23:27
    Ok, on one hand we have people saying "buy american " is bad because it encourages protectionism.

On the other hand we have people saying "buy local" is good because it encourages protection of the environment.

These concepts cannot be BOTH correct. They are in direct opposition to one another.

I think both concepts can be correct. Strictly buying American is in most cases just protectionism and buying strictly local may be better for the environment (though not necessarily).

Even if you just mean that "Don't buy American" and "Do buy local" can't both be correct, that doesn't hold for people living outside of the US.

But yeah, buy what you want. American, cheaper, healthier, fattier, whatever.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 00:501 edit

I am strongly becoming in favor of "buying local" as much as possible. Buy your products from as close to home as you can. My wife and i have altered our grocery and eating habits substantially recently. We now buy the bulk of our food from the local farmer's market. This, in turn, plays a large part in determining what we eat each week. As a result, this has shifted a considerable portion of our grocery budget to local sources and away from big agri-business.

I've also started buying other things as locally as possible. My clothes, for example. You can get American made clothing still. It isn't easy, but it can be done. We have an American Apparel outlet in our town, so I bought a couple t-shirts there recently. I went online last week and bought myself a new pair of tennis shoes from New Balance. They were more expensive than I've paid in the past, but it's better than supporting some sweat shop in China.

My primary reason for buying local is not environmental. It is economic. We live in Michigan, for example. It is said that if every family spent $10 more on Michigan products per week, it would translate to $37 million more per week that is going into the local economy. This can only be a good thing.
  14. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 01:05
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I am strongly becoming in favor of "buying local" as much as possible. Buy your products from as close to home as you can. My wife and i have altered our grocery and eating habits substantially recently. We now buy the bulk of our food from the local farmer's market. This, in turn, plays a large part in determining what we eat each week. As a result, this h ...[text shortened]... illion more per week that is going into the local economy. This can only be a good thing.
    When the rest of the world does the same the thing and refuses to buy cars that were made in Michigan how are you better off?
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 01:15
    Originally posted by quackquack
    When the rest of the world does the same the thing and refuses to buy cars that were made in Michigan how are you better off?
    Cars, by their nature, are made in a variety of places. Parts from here, parts from there, parts from everywhere. It isn't possible to buy an "American" made car anymore.

But to answer your question, I don't want anyone else to buy Michigan products. I hope they don't. I want them to buy their own locally made products. And we should buy ours. Everyone will be better off for it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree