1. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Aug '09 20:39
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Maybe it would, but the cure is far worse than the disease.
    Explain to me why it is worse.
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 00:42
    Cars, by their nature, are made in a variety of places. Parts from here, parts from there, parts from everywhere. It isn't possible to buy an "American" made car anymore.

But to answer your question, I don't want anyone else to buy Michigan products. I hope they don't. I want them to buy their own locally made products. And we should buy ours. Everyone will be better off for it.
    It is often wasteful to have everyone buy their own products. Certain areas have skilled labor; other areas have the raw inputs; it make be environmental better to have fewer factories built besides being cheaper and getting better product.
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 04:17
    Inasmuch as I live in near Arctic conditions, I make an effort to always buy local bananas.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 04:55
    It doesn't make sense. That's my point. Twhitehead seems to think that gutting wages will promote a higher employment level. Maybe it would, but the cure is far worse than the disease.
    KazetNagorra has already pointed out that it has been practiced in the Netherlands. I believe that it has in fact been practiced all across Europe with most EU countries deliberately shortening their work week in order to lower wages and reduce unemployment.
    In fact it seems to have become a not uncommon practice even in the US in response to the recession:
    http://www.allbusiness.com/labor-employment/working-hours-patterns-overtime/12635090-1.html
  5. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 12:28
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But someone has to make those judgments, or at least those are the options before us. In Zambia 10 maids have jobs at 1/10th of the wages, if they join a union and get their wages increased (as has happened in South Africa) they will soon find that nine of them are out of a job. Simply pushing for higher wages without careful forethought does not benefit ...[text shortened]... sweat shop. All I am saying is that blindly pushing for higher wages is not always a good thing.
    I agree. Rob might also like to know that over the century the real wage in the US has been growing despite increased globalization and trade.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 13:59
    Originally posted by telerion
    I agree. Rob might also like to know that over the century the real wage in the US has been growing despite increased globalization and trade.
    Despite, or because of?
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 14:02
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Inasmuch as I live in near Arctic conditions, I make an effort to always buy local bananas.
    In a few years, you'll be growing bananas in your front yard.

Just ask Al Gore.
  8. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    01 Sep '09 18:551 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Despite, or because of?
    Rob's claim is that globalization reduces wages everywhere. I'm just pointing out that data on average real wages have been steadily increasing during a long period in which international trade has grown dramatically. I don't see this doom and gloom scenario he paints.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree