1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 13:122 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Are the less safe streets of the U.S. due to enhanced attention to its citizens' human rights? If so how exactly?
    The streets would be safer if vandals got caned and if we had the death penalty for drug possession, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Edit: Let me rephrase. I'm pretty sure it's not worth it.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 13:16
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I have assumed nothing FMF [...] I find it immensely entertaining that you think that a little group of law abiding tax paying citizens could possibly jeopardise 'investor friendly environment', and thus justify repression and quite serious human rights abuses...
    Wow. Do you really believe you have "assumed nothing"? Seriously?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 13:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    Wow. Do you really believe you have "assumed nothing"? Seriously?
    please answer the question eff emm eff, what danger to economic investment do we represent, if none, then clearly repression and human rights abuses cannot be justified, in our case at least, can they.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 13:251 edit
    please answer the question eff emm eff, what danger to economic investment do we represent, if none, then clearly repression and human rights abuses cannot be justified, in our case at least, can they.
    You're seriously ascribing the "Asian Values" type political justification for 'order, conformity, stability' to me? I cannot explain it to you without you assuming I subscribe to it, is that how it works? Wow.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 13:262 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    You're seriously ascribing the "Asian Values" type political justification for 'order, conformity, stability' to me? I cannot explain it to you without you assuming I subscribe to it? Wow.
    no, i am asking for your opinion within the context of the debate, which is something quite different. I have not said that you ascribe to it, have I?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 13:27
    no, i am asking for your opinion, which is something quite different.
    I think you're just trolling. Why would you do that?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 13:31
    I have not said that you ascribe to it, have I?
    I find it immensely entertaining that you think that a little group of law abiding tax paying citizens could possibly jeopardise 'investor friendly environment', and thus justify repression and quite serious human rights abuses...
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 13:321 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think you're just trolling. Why would you do that?
    yes why indeed, now if we are quite finished then, it has been established that we represent no danger to foreign investment and economic stability, on the contrary we are law abiding and tax paying citizens that should instil investor confidence rather than diminish it and the government of Singapore , despite its shiny economic vision of health and stability cannot be described as a 'good government', in the broadest sense of the term, for it engages in serious human rights abuses.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 13:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]I find it immensely entertaining that you think that a little group of law abiding tax paying citizens could possibly jeopardise 'investor friendly environment', and thus justify repression and quite serious human rights abuses...
    [/b]
    so if you dont think that, why did you post this,

They are just part of the mish mash consisting of 'the opposition, the different, the uncooperative' whose repression is part and parcel of creating 'stability' and an 'investor friendly environment'

your own words and thoughts were they not?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 13:35
    yes why indeed, now if we are quite finished then...
    You seriously think I support "outrageous restrictions" (my words) and the "repression" (my word) of the "opposition, the different, the uncooperative" (my words)? What's with this line of attack, robbie?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 13:37
    They are just part of the mish mash consisting of 'the opposition, the different, the uncooperative' whose repression is part and parcel of creating 'stability' and an 'investor friendly environment'

your own words and thoughts were they not?
    Have you never come across the concept of "Asian Values" before, in so far as they are used to justify repression? If someone explains it to you, you assume they support them?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 13:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    You seriously think I support "outrageous restrictions" (my words) and the "repression" (my word) of the "opposition, the different, the uncooperative" (my words)? What's with this line of attack, robbie?
    this is what i seriously waned to avoid, its not a line of attack on your person FMF, i am merely responding to the text, ill tell you what, i will get lost and you can discuss the economic implications in peace, deal?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 13:38
    so if you dont think that [repression is ok]...
    This is the tack you're going to take on this topic? Seriously?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 13:40
    this is what i seriously waned to avoid, its not a line of attack on your person FMF, i am merely responding to the text, ill tell you what, i will get lost and you can discuss the economic implications in peace, deal?
    Yes stick it in your ear robbie. If the best you can do is ascribe the Singaporean take on "Asian Values" to the person who explains it to you, then get lost by all means.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Mar '11 13:42
    Originally posted by FMF
    This is the tack you're going to take on this topic? Seriously?
    look i was responding to the article you posted, cited in the economist, it terms the government of Singapore a 'good government', naturally, i have issues with that, that is the tact i have taken, it is nothing to do with you personally, unless of course you are a staunch advocate of that system, which as yet, has yet to be determined.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree