1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    16 Dec '15 20:12
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Wouldn't someone who wants a Democrat to win prefer that the Democratic candidate faces a terribly weak candidate like Trump? Sanders could murder baby Jesus live on TV and he'd still beat Trump.

Of course, neither Trump nor Sanders will win the nomination (although Sanders has a small realistic chance).
    That would be true, only if only Democrats voted. Trump's real strength, or weakness, will begin to show when real voting begins.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Dec '15 13:19
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Of all the candidates in either party Bernie received the most new Twitter followers. I don't know if that means anything, but it's an interesting reaction to a Republican debate.
    Timing is everything. 🙂
  3. Germany
    Moves
    17 Dec '15 15:25
    Originally posted by normbenign
    That would be true, only if only Democrats voted. Trump's real strength, or weakness, will begin to show when real voting begins.
    Not sure I get your point. Surely someone who wants a Democrat to win would prefer it if the candidate opposing their preferred candidate is an idiot rather than someone who might actually win the election?
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Dec '15 21:091 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    The last poll in Iowa (Monmouth) had Hillary up by 22 points. I think it's virtually impossible for Sanders to win Iowa. A narrow loss in Iowa followed by a win in NH may be the best he can hope for, which may be enough to get him back in the game.

Hillary also has a huge lead in endorsements. True, she also had a big endorsements lead in 2008, but Obama was the perfect insurgent candidate. Sanders is not really on the same level.
    Virtually all Iowa polls show either A) Hillary's lead eroding significantly in the last month or so or B) Nowhere near that large. The Monmouth poll you mention had Hillary up by 41 points in late October; six weeks later her lead has been cut almost in half. PPP had her up 32 in late October and 18 now. Bloomberg and Quinnipiac have been more consistent but they have Hillary's lead at only about 10 points.http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/ia/iowa_democratic_presidential_caucus-3195.html#polls

There is plenty of time for Bernie to make up such ground given the dynamics of the campaign.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    18 Dec '15 18:12
    Not sure I get your point. Surely someone who wants a Democrat to win would prefer it if the candidate opposing their preferred candidate is an idiot rather than someone who might actually win the election?
    The polls that show Trump with a big lead are national polls. The primary process, and the general election are State specific. Politicians understand this, so the Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire and S. Carolina primaries are much more important and revealing than national polling data now.
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    18 Dec '15 18:13
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Virtually all Iowa polls show either A) Hillary's lead eroding significantly in the last month or so or B) Nowhere near that large. The Monmouth poll you mention had Hillary up by 41 points in late October; six weeks later her lead has been cut almost in half. PPP had her up 32 in late October and 18 now. Bloomberg and Quinnipiac have been more consist ...[text shortened]...

There is plenty of time for Bernie to make up such ground given the dynamics of the campaign.
    Remember Howard Dean's big lead.
  7. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    20 Dec '15 06:09
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Remember Howard Dean's big lead.
    And Hillary Clinton's in 08. She came in third behind Edwards (but rebounded in NH).

And while the late polls did predict Huckabee's upset win, those polls didn't come out until January. Same with Santorum's upset win in 12. But obviously neither had a huge impact in the long term. New Hampshire and South Carolina pretty much set things up.
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 Dec '15 23:27
    Most Democrats consider every Republican candidate to be inferior.
  9. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    21 Dec '15 01:30
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    The emails are yesterday's news. And as Bernie said, America is tired of hearing about the damned emails. Even Benghazi has been de-fanged. There's not much in the way of old news that can trip her up. But a win by Bernie in either IA or NH will make people sit up and take notice.
    This statement is untrue, It is far from "yesterdays news".
    There is still an open FBI investigation.
    And a pair of emails on Hillary Clinton’s private server was indeed “top secret” when they passed through her machine, intelligence officials have concluded, according to a pair of reports.
    If you don't believe me research it.
  10. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    21 Dec '15 05:05
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    This statement is untrue, It is far from "yesterdays news".
    There is still an open FBI investigation.
    And a pair of emails on Hillary Clinton’s private server was indeed “top secret” when they passed through her machine, intelligence officials have concluded, according to a pair of reports.
    If you don't believe me research it.
    If Nixon could have known how easy it is to get away with it. America is tired of hearing about those damed wire tapings. What does it matter?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '15 15:15
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Of all the candidates in either party Bernie received the most new Twitter followers. I don't know if that means anything, but it's an interesting reaction to a Republican debate.
    It reminds me of the following Ron Paul had during the GOP election 3 years ago.

The press essentially ignored him.

I feel sorry for Dims. They all hate Hillary but will end up voting for her anyway.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '15 15:161 edit
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    If Nixon could have known how easy it is to get away with it. America is tired of hearing about those damed wire tapings. What does it matter?
    If Nixon were President today he would just chuckle at the scandal and the press would never bring it up again.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree