Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    03 Oct '09 14:07
    My wife and I saw the movie yesterday. It is a point beyond contention that not only is this the greatest movie ever made in the history of the universe, but it is the greatest possible movie to make in any possible universe. As this is an incontrovertible statement of fact and not a topic for debate, I mention it only in passing. The only point up for debate is whether we should merely elect Michael Moore as the next president, or whether we should deify him as a living god.
  2. 03 Oct '09 14:08
    Is he actually making a point this time?
  3. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    03 Oct '09 14:09
    Did you cry?
  4. 03 Oct '09 14:26
    Fantastic what does your hero Moore suggest we do?
  5. 03 Oct '09 14:41
    Originally posted by rwingett
    My wife and I saw the movie yesterday. It is a point beyond contention that not only is this the greatest movie ever made in the history of the universe, but it is the greatest possible movie to make in any possible universe. As this is an incontrovertible statement of fact and not a topic for debate, I mention it only in passing. The only point up for deba ...[text shortened]... erely elect Michael Moore as the next president, or whether we should deify him as a living god.
    Michael Moore has a point ... and even a lot more than one if you ask me ... but his "analysis" is too simple, too superficial and too much aimed at making popular easy-selling anti-statements.
  6. 03 Oct '09 14:56
    Originally posted by rwingett
    My wife and I saw the movie yesterday. It is a point beyond contention that not only is this the greatest movie ever made in the history of the universe, but it is the greatest possible movie to make in any possible universe. As this is an incontrovertible statement of fact and not a topic for debate, I mention it only in passing. The only point up for deba ...[text shortened]... erely elect Michael Moore as the next president, or whether we should deify him as a living god.
    I love that guy. He makes a lot of sense to me.

    http://www.capitalismalovestory.com/

    Citizen's arrest. Beautiful. Just beautiful. Can't wait to see this film myself.

    Bush: "Capitalism offers people the freedom to choose where they work."
    Shall we say fully matured woman: "There isn't anything in here. I'm not gonna be a gentlemen's club hired dancer."

    LOL!
  7. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    03 Oct '09 15:19
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Fantastic what does your hero Moore suggest we do?
    He suggests that America adopt a functioning democracy. One point that I have repeatedly raised in these forums that he touched on was the need for economic democracy. If we are indeed advocates of democracy then we should be in favor of democratizing the economic sphere by fostering employee ownership of companies. As the benefits of this are undeniable, I assume that you're on board.
  8. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    03 Oct '09 15:26
    Originally posted by rwingett
    He suggests that America adopt a functioning democracy. One point that I have repeatedly raised in these forums that he touched on was the need for economic democracy. If we are indeed advocates of democracy then we should be in favor of democratizing the economic sphere by fostering employee ownership of companies. As the benefits of this are undeniable, I assume that you're on board.
    You're free to do this now.
  9. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    03 Oct '09 15:28
    It is an aspect of capitalism that you are free to communally hold property, such as companies.
  10. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    03 Oct '09 15:30
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Michael Moore has a point ... and even a lot more than one if you ask me ... but his "analysis" is too simple, too superficial and too much aimed at making popular easy-selling anti-statements.
    ...what, he's muscling into Beck-O'Reilly territory?
  11. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    03 Oct '09 15:33
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Michael Moore has a point ... and even a lot more than one if you ask me ... but his "analysis" is too simple, too superficial and too much aimed at making popular easy-selling anti-statements.
    One part of the movie that I'm sure you would appreciate is how Moore depicted several Catholic clergymen as being defenders of the downtrodden. He interviewed a Detroit priest and a bishop who had little good to say about capitalism. Then in one part, during the Republic Window sit-in strike, there was another bishop there to support the workers and give them communion. It was a glimpse into the nobler side of the Church that, unfortunately, is seldom seen these days.
  12. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    03 Oct '09 15:34
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    You're free to do this now.
    It needs far greater institutional support.
  13. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    03 Oct '09 15:36
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    It is an aspect of capitalism that you are free to communally hold property, such as companies.
    And if capitalism is to redeem itself, this is the area in which it will have to move.
  14. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    03 Oct '09 15:54
    Originally posted by rwingett
    It needs far greater institutional support.
    So form an 'institution' you're free to do that as well. Put your money where your mouth is, so to speak.
  15. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    03 Oct '09 16:00
    Interestingly, it seems Michael Moore accuses several presidents of corruption at the very top. It seems many people agree with this, but are not claiming for the investigation/arrest of these individuals.

    And even those that do not agree with Moore, tend to disagree on the solution moving forward and his conclusion that 'capitalism is evil', but I have yet to see anybody deny the accusations of corruption.