1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 17:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    A hypothetical scenario.

Let's say I own FMF Airways - the only airline in this scenario, representing the 'industry', but assume that it's a competitive market. Whenever I recruit new cabin staff there are 10,000 applicants for 100 positions I seek to fill.

The applicants are predominantly young, smart, working class women attracted to what they see as a ...[text shortened]... dependent on their employers.

Is this new business scheme an example of progress?
    What do you mean by "progress"? I assume it's not just GDP growth, right?

In your example, jobs were created (not just the women, but teachers/trainers and other staff needed to run an airline), young smart working class women found an opportunity to earn reasonable money and profits were made.

The follow up seems less advantageous for the women but it's not unreasonable to think that if profits are being made and there is a large unused, but already qualified, workforce then other entrepreneurs will find it advantageous to start their competing businesses raising demand for their type of labour. Especially if, as you say, it's a competitive market. So the proportion of women realizing their "dream" should also increase.

But this is all very partial analysis. Nothing is said about the alternative or the outside option of these women. If it's an all or nothing gamble then obviously not many would risk it but it would still be a problem. A good educational system that is fair and inclusive would help give them an outside option that would help them make a decision that's not out of desperation.
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 20:442 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    Maybe, just maybe, people take courses to LEARN things about management.

People take courses in pluralism and civics and sociology and Greek architecture in college even though none of those things are going to be necessary to gain employment. They do it for knowledge.

I've taken CE courses that I didn't need for credit to LEARN methods and strategies about the job I have.
    Somehow, I don't think that a "huge growth in management courses" is the result of the emergence of legions of people who feel "management" is just such a cool thing to learn about. Maybe I'm just being cynical, but I suspect that most of the people who put in the time (and moolah) to take these courses expect some sort of concrete reward.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 22:181 edit
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    Somehow, I don't think that a "huge growth in management courses" is the result of the emergence of legions of people who feel "management" is just such a cool thing to learn about. Maybe I'm just being cynical, but I suspect that most of the people who put in the time (and moolah) to take these courses expect some sort of concrete reward.
    I wish someone would explain to me what a management course is. 😉
  4. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    03 Dec '09 22:28
    Originally posted by smw6869
    Reminds me of the course i took at a local Community College on "How to Become a Private Dick". And that was after i spent $40K per semester at the University of Pennsylvania to be a Philosopher.

GRANNY.
    You sure that course was not simply a front to enmesh the insecure into becoming light relief at gentleman's clubs?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree