1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 22:322 edits
    From January 1, 2016 to June 14, 2016, there were 1,689 gun deaths in Chicago. This averages out to be about 10 gun deaths per day.

Why does no one seem to care? Chicago is nothing more than a war zone with a ban on guns.

http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/shootings/
  2. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 23:40
    Originally posted by whodey
    From January 1, 2016 to June 14, 2016, there were 1,689 gun deaths in Chicago. This averages out to be about 10 gun deaths per day.

Why does no one seem to care? Chicago is nothing more than a war zone with a ban on guns.

But vivify says the deaths would be reduced. LOL
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    14 Jun '16 23:45

A warzone where it is illegal to protect yourself.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 01:34
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    But vivify says the deaths would be reduced. LOL
    I said in a generation or two. But "LOL" is an acceptable substitute for actually having a point.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 01:47
    Originally posted by vivify
    I said in a generation or two. But "LOL" is an acceptable substitute for actually having a point.
    LOL is uttering a presumption of a fallacy. If you provided a better support for your suggestion, questioning the LOL might be appropriate.
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 01:50
    Originally posted by normbenign
    A warzone where it is illegal to protect yourself.
    I suspect that Detroit per capita is worse than Chicago. Lots of places are both more free on owning and using guns for self defense, and have fewer gun deaths.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 01:52
    Originally posted by normbenign
    LOL is uttering a presumption of a fallacy. If you provided a better support for your suggestion, questioning the LOL might be appropriate.
    England.
  8. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 14:01
    In a generation or two after everyone is already dead? LOL
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 15:443 edits
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    In a generation or two after everyone is already dead? LOL
    You mean after everyone trying to keep guns on the street are dead? Yes. That future generation will grow up in a country without mass shootings, or the most gun murders in the developed world, if we ban guns now (and not just ban them in one city).
  10. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 16:00
    You mean after everyone trying to keep guns on the street are dead? Yes. That future generation will grow up in a country without mass shootings, or the most gun murders in the developed world, if we ban guns now (and not just ban them in one city).
    Do you agree that banning guns in the US would require amending the US Constitution to be legitimate?
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 17:11
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Do you agree that banning guns in the US would require amending the US Constitution to be legitimate?
    Yes.
  12. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 18:02
    Yes.
    I agree. I don't understand why the left, and Obama specifically, aren't making a constitutional amendment part of their platform.
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 18:161 edit
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    I agree. I don't understand why the left, and Obama specifically, aren't making a constitutional amendment part of their platform.
    Because the left isn't looking to ban gun ownership, but to tighten restrictions.
  14. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 18:40
    Because the left isn't looking to ban gun ownership, but to tighten restrictions.
    OK, so what restrictions on firearms, constitutional restrictions mind you, need to happen to address the gun violence that we see in Chicago, Detroit etc?
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Jun '16 18:571 edit

In 2010, the SCOTUS invalidated a Chicago citywide ban on handguns in McDonald v. City of Chicago.

In 2012, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals struck down an Illinois law banning carrying loaded weapons in public, http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/Court-Invalidates-Illinois-Gun-Laws-183017841.html

In 2014, a federal judge ruled that Chicago's ban on the sale of handguns was unconstitutional.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/06/chicago-gun-ban_n_4551227.html

So where is this "ban on guns" that you claim?

EDIT: A rather balanced article from Bloomberg: http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-10-06/the-problem-with-using-chicago-to-make-the-case-against-gun-control

As regards guns used in Chicago crimes:

A lot of that access comes from outside Illinois. Cook said he found that 60 percent of guns recovered in connection with an arrest were from out of state. Twenty-four percent of the total pool of guns came from Indiana, which is "not regulated at all," he said. Chicago gangs often have connections to gangs in Gary, Indiana, and the two cities almost butt up against each other.
    The study also found that 22 percent of the recovered guns came from parts of Cook County outside the city, where gun dealers and gun shows are legal.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree