Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Joined
    03 Jun '17
    Moves
    19426
    16 Feb '18 06:52
    From an article at Breitbart:

    Massive layoffs, a cancerous fake news crisis, and the humiliating (and expensive) implosion of its digital platform, appear to be the least of CNN’s problems. Because on top of all that, when compared to last year, the far-left cable channel has lost -30 percent of its primetime viewers and -23 percent of its total day viewers.
    The viewership problems for the anti-Trump outlet are breathtaking, especially when compared to its competition. Throughout the week of February 5, CNN could only scrape together an average 674,000 total day viewers. During the all-important primetime hours, CNN averaged only 888,000 viewers.

    Those numbers not only put CNN in last place behind MSNBC and Fox News, it puts the 24/7 Trump-hating channel in last place by a country mile.

    In total day, the openly left-wing MSNBC averaged 972,000 viewers (compared to CNN’s paltry 674,000). Fox News, however, nearly beat both CNN and MSNBC combined with 1.529 million average viewers.

    http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2018/02/15/nolte-hate-fatigue-cnn-viewership-collapses-30/

    The numbers, of course, come from sources external to Breitbart so in before 'this is the real fake news.'

    But a serious discussion can really take place: what is the future of news media? Is this just CNN suffering as all other channels will begin to suffer? What's the story here?
  2. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Joined
    03 Jun '17
    Moves
    19426
    16 Feb '18 06:57
    Fun bonus information on what could be the wave of the future:

    Popular video game streaming website Twitch has surpassed both CNN and MSNBC for the number of average daily viewers in January.
    Dot Esports reports that Twitch, the most popular video game streaming websites on the Internet, has surpassed news outlets CNN and MSNBC in the number of average daily viewers for the month of January. Twitch recorded approximately 962,000 concurrent viewers throughout the month of January 2018, a 22 percent increase from last year’s figures in January 2017 and a 26 percent increase since December 2017. In comparison, MSNBC averaged approximately 885,000 viewers for the month of January and CNN only recorded 783,000 daily viewers.


    http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/02/15/video-game-streaming-site-twitch-surpasses-cnn-msnbc-for-january-viewers/
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14639
    16 Feb '18 09:13
    They "lost" "-" 30 percent?
  4. Stargazing
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88907
    16 Feb '18 10:00
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    From an article at Breitbart:

    [quote]Massive layoffs, a cancerous fake news crisis, and the humiliating (and expensive) implosion of its digital platform, appear to be the least of CNN’s problems. Because on top of all that, when compared to last year, the far-left cable channel has lost -30 percent of its primetime viewers and -23 percent of its tota ...[text shortened]... a? Is this just CNN suffering as all other channels will begin to suffer? What's the story here?
    You’re just another Whodey aren’t you. I little less intelligent, but more or less another Whodey.
  5. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Joined
    03 Jun '17
    Moves
    19426
    16 Feb '18 10:24
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    You’re just another Whodey aren’t you. I little less intelligent, but more or less another Whodey.
    Your ad hominem is weak, my friend! You should really go for it if you are going to choose to go the low road.
  6. Stargazing
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88907
    16 Feb '18 10:37
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    Your ad hominem is weak, my friend! You should really go for it if you are going to choose to go the low road.
    I’m not your friend, your bro nor any other cheesy term of fake endearment.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14639
    16 Feb '18 11:17
    "The far-left cable channel"
    "The anti-Trump outlet"
    "The 24/7 Trump-hating channel"
    "The openly left-wing"
    "The pro-North Korea CNN"
    "A veritable wildly hypocritical Fake News Factory"
    "The hate machine"

    How many ways can we think of to describe our enemies?

    Fascinatingly, I regularly see this same behaviour on a Dutch right-wing website, where the aim seems to be to come up with as many derogatory sounding descriptions as possible.

    And totally, 100%, superduperüber surprisingly: they didn't describe Fox "News" as "hypocritical biased far right wing pro-Trump Fox".
  8. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Joined
    09 Oct '04
    Moves
    82283
    16 Feb '18 12:21
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    ..........And totally, 100%, superduperüber surprisingly: they didn't describe Fox "News" as "hypocritical biased far right wing pro-Trump Fox".
    To be fair, since becoming America's Official State Run News Service and Presidential Advisory Panel and Propaganda Channel, simply referring to it as "far right wing pro-Trump Fox" doesn't quite do justice to its expanded role...
  9. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Joined
    03 Jun '17
    Moves
    19426
    16 Feb '18 12:57
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    "The far-left cable channel"
    "The anti-Trump outlet"
    "The 24/7 Trump-hating channel"
    "The openly left-wing"
    "The pro-North Korea CNN"
    "A veritable wildly hypocritical Fake News Factory"
    "The hate machine"

    How many ways can we think of to describe our enemies?

    Fascinatingly, I regularly see this same behaviour on a Dutch right-wing websit ...[text shortened]... risingly: they didn't describe Fox "News" as "hypocritical biased far right wing pro-Trump Fox".
    Well, it is an editorial at a conservative website.

    I post it because it is something a bit worthy of celebration.

    You know, if you get into philosophy you can see how some things are truly quite relative. Such as the way things can be positioned relative to a political truth.
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14639
    16 Feb '18 13:21
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    Well, it is an editorial at a conservative website.

    I post it because it is something a bit worthy of celebration.

    You know, if you get into philosophy you can see how some things are truly quite relative. Such as the way things can be positioned relative to a political truth.
    That was super interesting what you just said.
  11. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Joined
    03 Jun '17
    Moves
    19426
    16 Feb '18 13:28
    I assume that is sarcasm.

    But I have learned to view it as true in the sense that societies and the common principle within them can be radically different depending on the time and culture involved.

    The effort to divorce ourselves from the "subjective" does not actually really bring us to an objective truth that is above and beyond the subjective all the time. It generally just helps the bottom drop out and be brought to a more nihilistic perspective. But that is probably not entirely relevant to the thread.
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14639
    16 Feb '18 13:35
    I am on the fvcking edge of my seat right now, Philo.

    Please write moar!!
  13. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Joined
    03 Jun '17
    Moves
    19426
    16 Feb '18 14:02
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    I am on the fvcking edge of my seat right now, Philo.

    Please write moar!!
    Actually, I have run out of material.

    But I am really interested in what you think.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    16 Feb '18 15:25
    They have lost 30% of their viewers? So they had 10 viewers and are down to 3?

    Damn.
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14639
    16 Feb '18 15:53
    Originally posted by @whodey
    They have lost 30% of their viewers? So they had 10 viewers and are down to 3?

    Damn.
    ...
Back to Top