1. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 15:44
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Unfortunately for you, what reality tells us is that it is in general beneficial for an economy to take steps to alleviate income inequality, so instead of it being "expensive" it creates value and makes economic sense to do so.
    Why don't you send all the refugees to your country if you believe it is so beneficial to have them?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 19:47
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Why don't you send all the refugees to your country if you believe it is so beneficial to have them?
    There is no "my country" and I don't have the authority to send refugees anywhere. But for what it's worth, I think people should be able to live where they want as long as they are not harming anyone else. Unlike certain other people, I don't think the government should be running other people's lives for them.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 20:48
    There is no "my country" and I don't have the authority to send refugees anywhere. But for what it's worth, I think people should be able to live where they want as long as they are not harming anyone else. Unlike certain other people, I don't think the government should be running other people's lives for them.
    If the government is going to take money from you to give to people who need it, it's noble but unrealistic to expect that any person from anywhere should be allowed to enter your country and start receiving this money from your pocket. Your pocket will be depleted quite quickly. That may be okay with you, but not with most people.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 21:16
    Originally posted by sh76
    If the government is going to take money from you to give to people who need it, it's noble but unrealistic to expect that any person from anywhere should be allowed to enter your country and start receiving this money from your pocket. Your pocket will be depleted quite quickly. That may be okay with you, but not with most people.
    The amount of resources a modern industrialized nation controls is vast, and the amount required to provide basic necessities is comparatively tiny. It is simply not true that "my pocket" will be "depleted quite quickly."

Of course, this is assuming that it takes any resources at all to, on average, sustain migrants inside a nation state, which is far from a given, especially on the long term.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 22:54
    Originally posted by finnegan
    'Check' and 'cheque' are different words - they are just homonyms. They are spelled differently for that reason. The American incapacity to grasp such details of language is depressing. Dumbing down can be taken too far. You are turning into a nation of creationists and illiterates, which is mad, since literacy and bible reading once went hand in hand. ...[text shortened]... ng frontier have been enclosed and privatised and that pathway to opportunity will not return.)
    Wow, you really need to go on that long to try to escape reality?

Read this very carefully: If you have to borrow money, you can't afford it.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Dec '15 23:30
    If you believe there is no 'my country' then why not simply put the entire world on Germany's Social Safety Net?
  7. Germany
    Moves
    12 Dec '15 08:52
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Wow, you really need to go on that long to try to escape reality?

Read this very carefully: If you have to borrow money, you can't afford it.
    With this mentality we would still be somewhere in the Dark Ages now.
  8. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    12 Dec '15 14:361 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/09/10/more-than-90-percent-of-middle-eastern-refugees-on-food-stamps/

Are we running such a surplus that we can afford to bring people into the country who are pretty much guaranteed to go on public assistance?
    Why is is you welfare worry warts never look at the other side of the coin? For every $1.00 spent on social welfare programs in America, $1.90 is spent on Corporate welfare, that's almost twice as much. Why do you always choose to sweep this under the rug?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/taxanalysts/2014/03/14/where-is-the-outrage-over-corporate-welfare/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree